IGNORED

SIO2PC (USB) What to use for a case

Big_Mo

Hey all:

I recently got a USB SIO2PC board from AtariMax and I've been trying to work out what to use for a case for it. It *almost* fits in a Atari 800 BASIC cart shell if I we to break out some of the internal reinforcements and remove the cart door, but the metal cover wouldn't quite close ,and there'd be no way to seal it. I also looked at am XM301 shell, but that's an awkward fit for a few reasons (albeit roomy).

Has anyone put one of these in a case and has an example of what is a good solution?

I was wondering the same thing and my solution is both corny and cool at the same time- LEGOs. Relatively low cost (if you steal them from your kids), an enclosure can be assembled in under 20 minutes, and it is easily expanded to accommodate changes in your hardware.

Has anyone installed an SIO2PC internally on an 800XL?

Edited by yorgle

I was wondering the same thing and my solution is both corny and cool at the same time- LEGOs. Relatively low cost (if you steal them from your kids), an enclosure can be assembled in under 20 minutes, and it is easily expanded to accommodate changes in your hardware.

No picture? This sounds like a contest/challenge to me ;)

No picture? This sounds like a contest/challenge to me ;)

Guess what I'll be doing tonight after the kids are in bed...

Yeah. My 800XL has SIO2PC (serial and homebuilt version) built in.

See my signature, bold characters are links.

Its the small upright board between PBI and SIO port.

One chip solution using MAX232.

Edited by Beetle

Sweet, but way beyond my abilities. I think I'll stick with my LEGO idea. :(

pictures please :cool:

Sweet...... :cool: Pray tell, how did you do this? Are there some secret instructions that an lowly Atari initiate can follow? :ponder:

Internal here too (130XE). Self-built serial model.

I used the PCB from a really old mouse. Worked out real well as I just trimmed the board and removed the IC and trimmed some of the traces.

Used the header on the board for the lines to the SIO port, which allows independantly pulling the board out without disturbing anything.

Lines joined directly to the solder points for the SIO lines on the motherboard.

If I was to buy a USB model, I'd go the terminal version - I'd imagine it'd fit reasonably well in any machine, or could even reside inside a disk drive.

Mine is harmless (although it took some hours of work).

Look at Bernds 800XL in the Abbuc forums "Pimp my 800XL" -thread.

Its that awesome machine at the threads bottom. Mine is not half as "Frankenstein".

And, to wet your appetite, i know there are even more scary things to come out on

this side of the pond soon.

Greetings,

Beetle

The big caps are 4.7uF and part of the stereo upgrade.

The ones mentioned in Chuck Steinmans original "Gumby Mod"

are 0.01uF and are too small. They filter out deep bass sounds.

Now, with the big 4.7 (i had them leftover from a loudspeaker box

frequency network) it sounds deep and fat :)

Edited by Beetle

I modified one of the small Radioshack ABS project boxes for use with my serial SIO2PC and it works quite nicely. Even cut a window in the top for the light show. :)

I'll do the same for my USB one when I get the time. Form factor is about the same so it should work out well.

Dammit, I gave all my Lego to my Daughter (She lives in another state)

My kids (same state) were whining that all the thin black pieces were missing this morning ;)

I had intended to use a bunch of the "white one-bump-slanty pieces" staggered around the top edge of my case to simulate the cooling slots around the top of the xl series cases, but I would have had to destroy the house my 6 year old just built--- didn't want to deal with the consequences that would have brought...