IGNORED

800XL badge and clear plastic cover

Urchlay

Anyone have a technique for restoring the Atari badges (the silver ones with black ATARI 800XL or whatever)? Parts of the letters have flaked off one of mine due to overzealous cleaning (soaking the case in soapy water for a long time, then running it through the dishwasher). If my hands were really steady I might try repainting the missing bits with model paint and a very fine brush... but I'd just make a mess. Maybe I could make a template somehow? Scan the good one in a flatbed scanner, print out, cut letters out with x-acto blade, tape over badge and paint... think that'd work? Or would I be better off using the scan to create a sticker (there's got to be such a thing as laser/inkjet sticker stock, but would it have a glossy finish?)

Also, what's the best way to remove the clear plastic cover on an 800XL, the part that covers the words RESET, OPTION, etc. and the power LED, on the right? I can't see obvious glue joints... and if I did manage to remove and clean it (and the part of the case that it covers), what'd be a good way to glue it back on? Rubber cement maybe? It would have to look good, or else there's no point in doing it.

Dishwasher is probably a bad idea since they tend to use pretty hot water and alkali based cleaning products.

I doubt the Ataris (esp after 1982) are "Top shelf dishwasher safe".

I think I've had the clear plastic off mine - just lever it out with a fingernail under the top or bottom.

Template for redoing the lettering/logo sounds very much the way to go. Spraypainting it would probably work best. Maybe even go a couple of coats of urethane laquer on top to preserve the work.

Dishwasher is probably a bad idea since they tend to use pretty hot water and alkali based cleaning products.

I doubt the Ataris (esp after 1982) are "Top shelf dishwasher safe".

Well, other than the badge, it came out very nice. I consider the dishwasher a last resort, when the case is so smegged that scrubbing with soap/alcohol/goo gone doesn't help, and my elbow is too tired to scrub any more... The plastic didn't warp or crack or anything, and the badge would have been OK if I'd thought to tape it over.

Spraypainting... I might give that a shot. It's got to hold up better than Testors model paint.

You can get transfer decals at your local art supply for just about every font and size imaginable.

personally, Id have a VERY HARD time effectivly masking out (or making a stencil for) those small assed letters to spray paint them. and even if you did, theres no guarantee of no "underspray"..

I'd be careful about taping over the badge incase when taking it off it brought up any of the lettering with it.

My 800XL still has the plastic covering over the silver bits, I've never removed it because I guess it's there for a reason. On the badge the plastic has curled up on one corner which makes it look a bit scruffy, it's made me feel like removing it but I never have done.

A good model supply store will have transfer paper that you can use with an inkjet printer. I would think it would be easy enough to scan an image of the lettering and then transfer that to the paper and then to the metal strip. Then spray with some clear lacquer to protect it. The only other thing I can think that might work would involve taking it to a professional sign paper and having some stickers made, but again, you'll need an image to work from.