IGNORED

Anybody manage a Quintuple spin in California Games Surfing?

jimid2

I can spin Quadruples until I'm dizzy, but though I think I've been pretty close a couple times, I've never managed to land a Quintuple... Has anyone else? Also, I'm wondering what range your high scores are in that event - I just jumped and turned my way to 8,360 points tonight, but I've run higher than that a couple times...

Edited by jimid2

California Games is such a great game on the Lynx, just talking about it makes me want to break it out for a few minutes...

And for those who are fortunate enough to play Comlynx, there's nothing like "Combat Surfing" with 2-4 players... :D

I thought you could only play two players surfing? I've done that lots, but four players would be radical! Anyway, I landed a Quintuple today - it said "Unreal!!! 360!!!" - I was pretty excited! :) It's great to play this system again - California Games is the perfect "20 minutes to blow" kind of game. Waiting for my wife in the parking lot while she's shopping for shoes has never been so much fun! ;) Edited by jimid2

California Games is such a great game on the Lynx, just talking about it makes me want to break it out for a few minutes...

And for those who are fortunate enough to play Comlynx, there's nothing like "Combat Surfing" with 2-4 players... :D

Yeah, me too. I really didn't play anything else for a significant amount of time on Lynx compared to how much time I've spent with Cal Games. I like BMX because you can maximize the track with timing. I would love to see someone hack up some more tracks. Surfing is pretty fun. I never got Skateboarding, which is ironic since I still skate.

I'm going to have to try the Comlynx sometime. What else is Comlynx compatible? Do you need multiple cartridges?

I never got Skateboarding, which is ironic since I still skate.

Skateboarding is actually pretty fun once you get it down, I would compare it to BMX airmaster as far as gameplay goes. You basicly just keep getting more and more air although you can do other tricks but the points are very minimal compared to the big air jumps :)

I'm going to have to try the Comlynx sometime. What else is Comlynx compatible? Do you need multiple cartridges?

You do need multiple cartridges. All the Atari-made cartridges indicate right on the sticker if they are comlynx compatible. On Cal Games, footbag is also multiplayer, but not nearly as enjoyable as surfing. Other great comlynx games include Checkered Flag, Slime World, Xenophobe, Champ Rally, Xybots, BattleWheels, Rampart, and Shanghai.

You do need multiple cartridges. All the Atari-made cartridges indicate right on the sticker if they are comlynx compatible. On Cal Games, footbag is also multiplayer, but not nearly as enjoyable as surfing. Other great comlynx games include Checkered Flag, Slime World, Xenophobe, Champ Rally, Xybots, BattleWheels, Rampart, and Shanghai.
Don't forget Gauntlet!! and Zarlor Mercenary!!! Both those games kick ass Lynxed up! :cool:

• 3 years later...

I am an obsessive gamer and I play till it hurts alot of the time. I am stuck on the surfing trying to get the quintuple. I tried going straight up and nose diving back down to build up speed, but i can't quite get high enough. I can do quadruples just fine. I really want that "Unreal 360" award BAD!! Any advice California GAmes fans?

I enjoy all four events. The quality is very serious in this game. It seems like a professional sport because there is so much depth with trying to nail a trick with that perfect animation frame. The skateboarding is almost a zen like moment when you start flying so high you touch the ceiling. It's fun getting those thousand bonuses. The BMX takes memorization and practice. In fact, I think alot of people are going to miss out on the fun of California Games because of the INSANE frustrating learning curve (especially skateboarding and BMX). The BMX is VERY touchy and you fall alot until you get it down. The footbag is very addicting. I was proud to get a 10,000 point "combo" in it today.

Some advice on skateboarding:

Push *up* when you cross the middle line. Hold up and press A after you cross the first line as you go up the pipe. From this point as you start building speed, you don't have to hit A as soon as you cross the line. Do it as late as you can to keep building height. Now start HOLDING the A button as long as you dare to get the highest scores. At some point when you are high enough, you can get the thousand point bonus. When you go up the left side, I hold it until the skateboard is pointing down as he is coming down. On the right side, I wait till the skateboard is off his foot, or just a millisecond later. I really don't bother with the handstand tricks.

Edited by 2d gamer

• 4 weeks later...

I am an obsessive gamer and I play till it hurts alot of the time. I am stuck on the surfing trying to get the quintuple. I tried going straight up and nose diving back down to build up speed, but i can't quite get high enough. I can do quadruples just fine. I really want that "Unreal 360" award BAD!! Any advice California GAmes fans?

I enjoy all four events. The quality is very serious in this game. It seems like a professional sport because there is so much depth with trying to nail a trick with that perfect animation frame. The skateboarding is almost a zen like moment when you start flying so high you touch the ceiling. It's fun getting those thousand bonuses. The BMX takes memorization and practice. In fact, I think alot of people are going to miss out on the fun of California Games because of the INSANE frustrating learning curve (especially skateboarding and BMX). The BMX is VERY touchy and you fall alot until you get it down. The footbag is very addicting. I was proud to get a 10,000 point "combo" in it today.

Some advice on skateboarding:

Push *up* when you cross the middle line. Hold up and press A after you cross the first line as you go up the pipe. From this point as you start building speed, you don't have to hit A as soon as you cross the line. Do it as late as you can to keep building height. Now start HOLDING the A button as long as you dare to get the highest scores. At some point when you are high enough, you can get the thousand point bonus. When you go up the left side, I hold it until the skateboard is pointing down as he is coming down. On the right side, I wait till the skateboard is off his foot, or just a millisecond later. I really don't bother with the handstand tricks.

It's been so long since I played my Lynx but this is what I remember... You really have to build up your speed and that's by going up into the air (with no spinning) and then coming down toward the bottom of the screen and then going up into the air, repeatedly. Once your speed is really high, then it's easy to pull off. But the way I remembered it, you take up a lot of time off the clock to do this. So you won't be doing multiple ones during a gaming session. The biggest mistake I would make in doing this trick was when I'm coming down the wave at a high speed and hit the bottom of the screen.

As for BMX, I just rode the edge between the grass and the dirt. Too much trouble trying to figure out the course.

skateboarding is just getting down the timing to keep your speed high. once the speed is high, you'll rack up major points doing all the tricks and the sensation of speed is amazing.

It's been so long since I played my Lynx but this is what I remember... You really have to build up your speed and that's by going up into the air (with no spinning) and then coming down toward the bottom of the screen and then going up into the air, repeatedly. Once your speed is really high, then it's easy to pull off. But the way I remembered it, you take up a lot of time off the clock to do this. So you won't be doing multiple ones during a gaming session. The biggest mistake I would make in doing this trick was when I'm coming down the wave at a high speed and hit the bottom of the screen.

As for BMX, I just rode the edge between the grass and the dirt. Too much trouble trying to figure out the course.

skateboarding is just getting down the timing to keep your speed high. once the speed is high, you'll rack up major points doing all the tricks and the sensation of speed is amazing.

That's pretty much how I handle surfing too - I can kick out quintuples pretty consistently now (okay, maybe 50% of the attempts, but I'll land a quadruple for sure!) That inside line between the grass and track is exactly how I run the BMX track too - just too crazy trying to dodge everything while catching serious air in that game otherwise...