IGNORED

5200 Tempest Update

Dutchman2000

I am pleased to announce that Michael Kosaka has joined the Tempest project!! He was the original artist for the game back in 1984, and he has submitted new art for the game. Everything is working well and we hope to have a working demo soon.

Keep the faith! It will happen!!

I am pleased to announce that Michael Kosaka has joined the Tempest project!! He was the original artist for the game back in 1984, and he has submitted new art for the game. Everything is working well and we hope to have a working demo soon.

Somebody please let me know when this comes out. I want one! :)

tell me when to pre-order. i can't wait, will this also have trak-ball support?

I'm sure it will be announced here on AtariAge. Not sure about the track-ball support but hopefully.

Somebody please let me know when this comes out. I want one! :)

I'm sure it will be announced here on AtariAge.

Obviously I'm behind here, what's the plan? :)

To finish the prototype of Tempest and sell a boxed copy of the finished game. The programming is being done by the original programmer, Keithen Hayenga, with assistance from others.

Allan

That sounds like a great plan (to finish it)... though I must admit I thought it was pretty much finished... guess I was overestimating there...

I hate to rain on everyone's parade but what controller can you possibly use with this game?? Is there a spinner controller out there available??

That sounds like a great plan (to finish it)... though I must admit I thought it was pretty much finished... guess I was overestimating there...

I hate to rain on everyone's parade but what controller can you possibly use with this game?? Is there a spinner controller out there available??

If you turned the analog stick in a circle, you could simulate having a spinner.

Hooking alternate controllers to the 5200 is tough. The trackball works by simulating turning a potentiometer as you roll the ball faster. It's really ugly, but there's not much else you can do (unless you tie into the expansion port...hummm.....)

-Bry

If you turned the analog stick in a circle, you could simulate having a spinner.

Hooking alternate controllers to the 5200 is tough. The trackball works by simulating turning a potentiometer as you roll the ball faster. It's really ugly, but there's not much else you can do (unless you tie into the expansion port...hummm.....)

-Bry

To me Tempest is one of my all-time favorite games and it sounds awesome that we will be able to play it soon on the 5200. I built one of those paddle controllers using the guts of a 2600 paddle and a 5200 controller and I am finally able to play Super Breakout on the 5200. Maybe there's a way to build a spinner controller out of a 5200 stick.

To me Tempest is one of my all-time favorite games and it sounds awesome that we will be able to play it soon on the 5200. I built one of those paddle controllers using the guts of a 2600 paddle and a 5200 controller and I am finally able to play Super Breakout on the 5200. Maybe there's a way to build a spinner controller out of a 5200 stick.

There is, and it's called a 360 degree pot. I remember Midway used them in Omega Race (along with an interface circuit hack) when the digital spinner they were using became unavailable. The idea is that there's no mechanical stop, so there's a position where the pot jumps from min to max value.

-Bry

Strangely enough I asked this question regarding Castle Crisis... I was told people had hacked spinner controllers onto 5200 pads, and I've seen pictures as such. A pity there doesn't seem to be a way to get real 2600 paddles to work with the console...

Strangely enough I asked this question regarding Castle Crisis... I was told people had hacked spinner controllers onto 5200 pads, and I've seen pictures as such. A pity there doesn't seem to be a way to get real 2600 paddles to work with the console...

Do you mean actuall spinner controllers like for Indy 500 on the 2600 or paddle controllers like the 2600 paddle controllers you use for Kaboom? I've never heard of 5200 spinner controllers being made. It would be great to be able to make one.

Allan

Do you mean actuall spinner controllers like for Indy 500 on the 2600 or paddle controllers like the 2600 paddle controllers you use for Kaboom? I've never heard of 5200 spinner controllers being made. It would be great to be able to make one.

Allan

Well, it's an imperfect spinner. A true spinner is a digital encoder that returns some numerical sequence when turned. The analog spinner is basically a pot that wraps around and has a small dead spot at the transition. I built my own digital spinner for my Omega Race machine because the analog one it came with was somewhat imprecise. :)

I suppose with some extra circuitry you could make a better spinner for the 5200.

-Bry

The picture I saw had literally removed the stick from a 5200 controller and replaced it with a spinner. Not sure if I'll find it again... or maybe it was posted in response to my original Q. Have to go look...

The picture I saw had literally removed the stick from a 5200 controller and replaced it with a spinner. Not sure if I'll find it again... or maybe it was posted in response to my original Q. Have to go look...

Interesting. Most of those are quadrature encoders (like the 2600's driving controller) and they return a sequence like 00 01 11 10 as they're turned. This means they need 2 extra digital lines which the 5200 doesn't have. I guess you could tie them into the pot lines and do fast pot scanning and read them.

-Bry

I think the 5200 stick would make a perfectly fine Tempest controller as is. Matter o' fact I think the squishyness and overall feel of it would lend itself well to the game :)

Granted, a "spinner" control option would be awesome as well, but I dont think one should take precedent over the other obviously.

I think the 5200 stick would make a perfectly fine Tempest controller as is. Matter o' fact I think the squishyness and overall feel of it would lend itself well to the game :)

Granted, a "spinner" control option would be awesome as well, but I dont think one should take precedent over the other obviously.

I think you are right. The 5200 stick would be fine for this game. Rotating the stick around 360 degrees to position yourself around the screen. A spinner would be cool, but it might be too much to ask for.

The joystick support in Tempest only uses the horizontal pot for position and does not even read the vertical one. So you can only move left and right to spin around the tubes. The faster you move the stick or roll the trak-ball, the faster you will spin around the tubes!

There will also be high-score entry, and 3 difficulty levels.