IGNORED

Troubleshooting an Intellivision I just got.

Hey everyone... trying to get this Intellivision working but so far, not so good.

I picked it up at a thrift store and it looks decent but didn't come with the cable to the tv or a switchbox. So this is what I did:

I took a set of patch cables and used the yellow cable and ran it from the system to the TV via an RCA to RF adaptor connector (Okay the adaptor I have says on the package "Gold-Plated F-Phono to Male F Adapter").

Setup everything and powered up the system. The screen changed to a black screen (not the typical green screen) and no sound... pressing reset makes the picture jump but it resets to a black screen.

I tried several games that I bought with the system and receive the same result. I even tried powering up the system without a cart in it (I believe I should have received the Green Screen even this way) and it resulted in a black screen. Seems like the power is working and makes the screen change but the video signal seems disrupted... but when I get a blank, black screen and it really is nice and sharp... not crappy RF static etc.

Some thoughts from anyone would be helpful and appreciated. This system is going to work yet... I hope it's something silly and simple. :)

*Is is the cable?

*Or maybe the Adaptor?

*Do I need a Switchbox for the Intelly?

Figures though... I never had Burgertime on the Intellivision and now I do and can't enjoy it.

Okie dokie... will give a few carts a swabbing with some alcohol. The contacts weren't that bad but there was some black swabs at the end of each cart. :) Will have to wait for the carts to dry before attempting them.

Does the Intellivision have better reception using channel 3 versus 4?

You can't use the yellow part of a patch cable to get video. You need to get an actual RF cable (if you have a 7800, you likely have one, otherwise, a trip to the friendly battery-pushers at Radio Shack is in order), and probably an rf-coax gold adaptor if you don't have a switchbox. The yellow cable fits of course, but it doesn't carry the same signal as an RF cable does, and the Intellivision can only output via RF.

Hope it helps and you're up and playing Burgertime soon!

Okie... I was using the stinkin' yellow video cable all along. I don't currently have an RF cable so I will have to check into finding one.. Radio Shack eh? Sounds good... I thought patch cords were the same as an RF Cable... silly rabbit. :)

Well tomorrow is a big shopping day so I will have to add the RF Cable to the list...

What a bit of great news... Thanks Rick! Burgertime, Masters of the Universe (NEVER PLAYED IT ON ANY SYSTEM!), Vectron, Snafu and more are all awaiting some gaming. Hope this is what I need! :)

I think I may be able to get this cable from a $1 store too... worth a look anyway. As for the Gold adaptor thingy... yup... have one on my switchbox on the back of the tube.

I will post once I get this cable tested out.

• 2 weeks later...
You can't use the yellow part of a patch cable to get video. You need to get an actual RF cable (if you have a 7800, you likely have one, otherwise, a trip to the friendly battery-pushers at Radio Shack is in order), and probably an rf-coax gold adaptor if you don't have a switchbox. The yellow cable fits of course, but it doesn't carry the same signal as an RF cable does, and the Intellivision can only output via RF.

Funny, I've used common A/V cables as improvised RF cables in a pinch many a time on my 2600, C64, Colecovision and Intelivision. Picture looks like crap because they pick up interference, but they still radio/electricaly function and carry the signal, which is all one needs when troubelshooting. Hell, I've used telephone cord that I threw some RCA plugs on in the past too. THAT really looks horendous, but still functional enough to tell you if the system is working.

I have a Tandyvision that gives me a black screen. There's a FAQ (see http://www.intvfunhouse.com/faq/intv_faq7.php) that says one of the causes is a bad power supply board. The FAQ has instructions for testing it with a multimeter. I have since acquired an INTV and use the Tandy for parts.

Edited by Emehr