IGNORED

Possible new game idea

atari2600land

Does this game have the potential to be fun? Because if it doesn't, I might as well stop working on it. The object of the game is to clear away all the squares by making them green while avoiding the red thing that bounces around. I made this while I was bored and I thought it could be fun. I don't know how to implement scoring, though (I want 10 points for every square you make green.)

q9.bas.bin

q9.bas

post-3832-1184425183_thumb.jpg

I think this game has a lot of potential!! The idea you have presented can be expanded into a good game for sure.

Possible ideas:

Have the area painted by the player be the same width up/down as well as sideways(square)

Have a speed up for the player with the fire button(less points for painted areas when used)

Have bonus items that appear with different effects(bonus points, slow down pursuit,double paint area, etc..)

Place obstacles(walls) as levels progress

Have pursuing enemy pause for several seconds after a hit before the chase resumes

Have slower pursuing enemy for the first level and then increase the speed for later levels

Possible ideas:

Have the area painted by the player be the same width up/down as well as sideways(square)

Have a speed up for the player with the fire button(less points for painted areas when used)

Have bonus items that appear with different effects(bonus points, slow down pursuit,double paint area, etc..)

Place obstacles(walls) as levels progress

Have pursuing enemy pause for several seconds after a hit before the chase resumes

Have slower pursuing enemy for the first level and then increase the speed for later levels

I think I can do most if not all of those things. I don't know how to implement items, though, since I can't do multisprite because I need an asymetrcial playfield. I suppose it could be missile1, and have each color be a different item, but then player1 would have to change colors, too. I'll work some more on this game either today or tomorrow.

Here's an updated version of the game I posted earlier. Among the new things are:

-I figured out how to keep a score.

-Fire button speeds up, but less points are scored.

-New title screen and game over screen.

-A few more sfx.

-Life counter now activated.

-Enemy is a little bit slower on level 1.

If I made the pfblocks square, it'd look a little bit uglier than it is right now, I couldn't use no_blank_lines, and the playfield would be shrunk (I only have an 11x32 playfield to work with, no matter how big or small the playfield blocks are.)

q9f.bas.bin

q9f.bas

I had to eliminate the speed-up with fire button feature for now because using it when going up/down was very buggy. So here's a new version. The enemy now comes out from the bottom every time you lose a life or start a new level. You can also play in black & white if you want using the b&w switch.

q9h.bas.bin

q9h.bas

• 2 weeks later...

I like the gist of this game and I have been inspired by it.

Maybe if the red thingy was in the shape of a Sniper sight and was shooting something at you while you was trying to clear away whatever

If we was to make animated characters like some sorta critter trying to eat out Old mans garden and then he was shooting at you would be nice.

It could also be a couple of inmates trying to brake out while digging underground while trying to aviod the radar.....maybe the radar is a guided radiation beam and zap niose appear.

Or you are running away from the big bad monster who is going to eat you..chomp chomp chomp.

Then agian you could be a hacker in Shadowrun and this is how the hacking sequence could like in when you jack in.

Or maybe it is a crazy military guy bombing civilians and the target is trying to take you out.

Then agian your fighting the enemy and setting bombs at there tanks and run away while something is trying to take you out.

It could even work the other way around where you are the sniper and your shooting people trying to escape to there cars from a helicopter.

Or your a sniper in a helicopter and your shooting the enemy who is trying to get to there tanks, or steal your stuff or even blow up your tanks.

Your some sorta insect like a roach or ant and you are trying to eat all the mini sandwiches to aviod the spray or swat.

then a dirty fly is passing germs on to the food and you have to aniliate all the sandwiches before people start eating them. If you don't they will turn Zombie and attack you.

Or maybe your a pervert trying impregnt all the dorm women but they have some sorta nanny camera and your trying to aviod it.

Or you could be the semen warrior while pregnating women before they get fat, steal the cake, call the nanny patrol, turn lesbo, or go to college.

then agian you could be Spy vs. Spy and your trying to prevent the other spy from getting the documents or Spy is trying to gun for you while you get the documents.

It would probably play out like a puzzle game or adventure puzzle game like bomberman. I could see you original game lined up in the arcades right now with a whole bunch of clones of the same game :P

When I think about it on higher level this reminds me of the Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kongs Quest factory stage and there is a target shooting Light spark balls at you while you are attempting to get the end of the level but off course your a spider.

• 4 months later...

After half a year, I decided to continue work on this game. If I don't add the Superchip (which I probably won't), it could be in the store. If I limit it to 4k, it would only be $20. What would really be nice is two 6-digit scores (Has CurtisP done this yet?), one for the %age and one for the score.

projectx.bas.bin

projectx.bas

OK, so maybe I went a little overboard about having this game be in the AA store, but I am trying to make a decent game that doesn't use the Superchip (to show that I still can make games without it). BTW, this game is being far from finished.

Edited by atari2600land

OK, so maybe I went a little overboard about having this game be in the AA store, but I am trying to make a decent game that doesn't use the Superchip (to show that I still can make games without it). BTW, this game is being far from finished.

I don't think that was directed at your game. It has more to do with Hozer making copies of other peoples games and selling them on EBAY.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118163

I don't think that was directed at your game. It has more to do with Hozer making copies of other peoples games and selling them on EBAY.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118163

:ponder: :thumbsup: Yep, it was a current events comment. :D

I admit there are some similarities between my game and Qix, but there are some differences as well, like needing to complete all of the playfield. But, Qix isn't on the 2600, either. Here's a little bit newer version with sped-up enemies on levels 3 and 6.

projectx2.bas.bin

projectx2.bas

I figured the score was more important than the %age finished, so I replaced the %age with a score. You now get 5 points for every square filled in. Now I need your input: After you complete level 6 (two Xs, fastest speed), should I keep it at level 6 or make the game go back to level 1 (one X, slowest setting)?

post-9475-1197944219_thumb.png

projectx4.bas.bin

projectx4.bas

What if the thing bouncing around could drop a static or moving bomb-like object once in a while and if you touch it, you don't die, but an area a little larger than your guy would explode, erasing any blue you might have already put down there. The area could be black and ready to change right away or maybe the exploded area could be another color and would be unchangeable (possibly contaminated) for a certain amount of time before it turns black.

Black and ready:

post-13-1198041329_thumb.png

Another color and contaminated:

post-13-1198041344_thumb.png

Three problems with this idea (It's a nice idea, though.)

#1 - The contaminated area won't work because the playfield can only be one color.

#2 - The bomb can't be displayed unless I use the ball, which is the same color as the playfield (I'm using no_blank_lines, which won't let you use missile0), missile1, players 0 and 1 are taken.

#3 - The code that displays what playfield you've turned on is simple:

"pfpixel a b on"

Thus moving the a and b coordinates to where the missile is and turning it on. I don't think I can turn parts of it off like you suggested.

I'm limiting it to 4k. I only have about 400 bytes left, so any changes would have to be pretty minor.

Thanks for taking an interest to my game. Do you like it so far?

Do you like it so far?

Games like Qix and Amidar kind of give you a satisfying feeling when you fill in an area. This game doesn't have anything like that yet. Maybe if you moved like you do in Surround, where you couldn't stop and couldn't go over filled in territory, then you'd have something to make it more interesting. Instead of dying when you finally 'crashed,' the game could just move to the next round. Since your enemy gets faster as time goes on, people would want to see how much of the screen they could fill up before they crashed.

So, not only would the player keep moving without being able to move over the blue part, they'd also have to watch out for the enemy bouncing around that can kill them. Maybe those two concepts combined would make it more fun.

So, not only would the player keep moving without being able to move over the blue part, they'd also have to watch out for the enemy bouncing around that can kill them. Maybe those two concepts combined would make it more fun.

These suggestions I can certainly do. I'll program them in. Thank you.

I found a problem with the not running into the blue part again part. What if you get yourself into a spiral? Then once it ends, you're just stuck there since you can't go over the same part twice. So I decided not to put that in the game, but I did put the always-moving part in, which IMO makes the game more difficult.

projectx7a.bas.bin

projectx7a.bas