IGNORED

Avalanche

johnnywc

4 hours ago, Cafeman said:

I never played Avalanch but I've heard it is basically like Kaboom.  Hope the game lives up to that artwork! 

Avalanche is the pre-cursor to Kaboom! and is supposedly inspired it, so the game play is similar.  :)   Catching rocks with paddles is a lot of fun, but it's going to take a lot more than that to live up to David's amazing artwork! ;)  

• Like 2

Ohh you guys :)

Thanks for the kind words about the artwork. This was a really fun project to work on and I’m pleased with the result.

I do love illustrating games that are, by necessity, visually simple (in this case, because it’s a -brilliant- port of a v old coin op). I get to have all of the responsibility of adding context and narrative to those coloured blocks.

The game itself is absolutely superb.
John, Nathan and Thomas have done a lovely job here - you’d be hard pressed to fill 4K any better. I can’t wait to play it with real Paddle controllers. 

• Like 6

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, WishItWas1984 said:

Will the final cartridge version of "Avalanche" be released for digital purchase in the future? Would love to play this on my R77.

Albert has said that he's working on a way to sell ROMs through AtariAge. Also though, I think there's a very good chance that this one would work through via the cart slot since it's a 4K game with no bankswitching. 

5 hours ago, WishItWas1984 said:

Will the final cartridge version of "Avalanche" be released for digital purchase in the future? Would love to play this on my R77.

Champ Games and AtariAge are working on making digital downloads available soon! :) 

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

Albert has said that he's working on a way to sell ROMs through AtariAge. Also though, I think there's a very good chance that this one would work through via the cart slot since it's a 4K game with no bankswitching. 

Hmm, I just tried with the cart version of Avalanche (special throw-back super exclusive collector's edition ;) ) and the cart reader on my R77 doesn't seem to work (I don't think I had ever tested it).  I tested with Combat but it goes straight to the Stella menu.  Does the cart reader get disabled if you install the latest community build?  

20210314_102854.thumb.jpg.341af535cf2bd785cad2ec6fc72e3aab.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

No. But the cart reader is very unreliable.

Thanks for the quick reply TJ.  I'll try with a few more carts and see if I can get it to work.  I assume if there is a cart plugged in when you power up, it *should* just load up that game and not go to the Stella menu?

3 hours ago, Karl G said:

Cool. I should've been more specific. I only want to run the digital file via SD on the R77. Even if the cart worked, I personally have no interest in paying that much or dealing with a physical cart.

WRT Combat and R77, weren't there reports of some 2K carts not working because of missing pins (or something) in those carts.  And the R77 uses the presence of these pins as part of the cart reader functionality?  Sorry, forget the details now, but as @Thomas Jentzsch says, the cart reader is very unreliable.

• Thanks 1