Hahah, we actually played it back on July 11, 2018 on the show! (Direct Time Link)

We'll definitely play it again once the updates are done on it and again when it gets released on cartridge. icon_winking.gif

Skip to 1:18:17 for Avalanche

Really digging this game icon_thumbsup.gif I already like it more than Kaboom! Never seen or heard of the arcade version. I'll have to play some more and see if I can come up with some suggestions

This game needs some air time on ZeroPage Homebrew. icon_biggrin.gif

attachicon.gifAvalanche HS.jpg

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 3

Interestingly, Pie Factory Podcast covered the arcade Avalanche a month or so ago. Now we have to addend the home ports part of the show!

• Like 1

I played this a while back and it was fun. It's interesting because its really hard with a joystick but almost too easy (for the first 3 loops) with the paddles. I'm curious as to what this update will bring on release because it sure seemed finished to me after the b/w switch update.

• Like 1

Does it have difficulty levels? As mentioned it's very easy out of the box. IIRC the coco version called "popcorn" was like this as well but selecting a higher difficulty made the game a lot more fun.

• Like 1

I played this a while back and it was fun. It's interesting because its really hard with a joystick but almost too easy (for the first 3 loops) with the paddles. I'm curious as to what this update will bring on release because it sure seemed finished to me after the b/w switch update.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree, the game is too hard with a joystick and I'm considering removing joystick support completely since (a) it really isn't fun playing a game like this with a joystick and (b) I could really use that extra ROM to add a few more bells and whistles.

As for the color/bw option, that has been removed; instead the color/bw switch will now pause/unpause the game as it does with other Champ games. The bw option was more of a novelty and doesn't make much sense as even the arcade wasn't played in black/white as it had color overlays.

Does it have difficulty levels? As mentioned it's very easy out of the box. IIRC the coco version called "popcorn" was like this as well but selecting a higher difficulty made the game a lot more fun.

The game plays much more like the arcade now; the paddle starts at 16 pixels wide and then goes down to 12 for the 3rd and 4th rows and down to 8 for the last two rows. You can also use the difficulty switches to have paddle sizes of 12, 10 and then 8. Also, the # of paddles to start a level goes down from 6 to 3 to 2 to 1, so the game naturally gets a bit more difficult with more paddles. The rate at which rocks are dropped increases slightly each level, and the minimum delay for a level decreases also, plus the interval itself increases during a level. This means that the rocks will drop more frequently as the game progresses. Lastly, the max speed that the rocks drop also increases with each level. I may make this a bit faster, but to me the game gets pretty challenging on the 3rd board. Of course, NOVICE setting will give more misses, lower score for a bonus, slower paddle progression per level, slower rocks, slower delay,etc. while ADVANCED will increase them.

We'll be sure to deliver a game that has difficulty settings for all skill levels! :)
Thanks for the feedback!
John
  • Like 6

Everything said above sounds amazing. That's a lot of changes! I really liked the option to use a joystick or paddle... I hadn't seen that in a game before and I thought it was super cool, but if you need the space, a paddle only game is probably best IMHO.

I'm pretty excited about this now :)

• Like 2

I'm good with your removing joystick support in Avalanche, especially if it means you can add additional polish and/or features. You can only get so far with a joystick before it becomes impossible. Can you imagine playing Kaboom! with a joystick? I love paddle games, and there aren't enough of them! The analog nature of paddle controllers (as well as the driving controllers) makes the game control more...intimate.

..Al

• Like 8

We'll be featuring a brand new UNRELEASED build of Avalanche (thanks John!) LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Game Lineup:

- Avalanche (2019 WIP Update) by Champ Games
- Upp Plus (2019 ZPH Edition) by Jason Santuci aka Jason Schelhorn aka theloon aka Gemintronic
- This Planet Sucks (1998) by Greg Troutman
- Space Rocks (2015 Tournament Edition) by Darrell Spice Jr. aka Spiceware

post-37205-0-73869400-1554416239_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

EDIT: The latest BIN can be found in this post.

Does this rom natively support paddles? On my FB9, it only works with a joystick (though I have working paddles through modding). On my Stella emulator, I have to manually select paddles through Game Properties - it defaults to joystick otherwise.

A default paddles version for FB9 would be cool unless it's an FB9 issue. No worries either way, it's still a great port!!

Does this rom natively support paddles? On my FB9, it only works with a joystick (though I have working paddles through modding). On my Stella emulator, I have to manually select paddles through Game Properties - it defaults to joystick otherwise.

A default paddles version for FB9 would be cool unless it's an FB9 issue. No worries either way, it's still a great port!!

Hello there!

The final version of Avalanche (ROM not available yet) will only support paddles (joystick support was removed to fit in more important features). Once I have the final version, I will let the Stella team know so they can update their config file and have Avalanche default to paddles on start up.

Glad you're enjoying the game!

John

• Like 4

Please let us know when you're ready. That being said, I suspect the new controller auto-detection code in Stella will automatically pick up that it uses paddles. That won't be available until Stella 6.1, though, but maybe your ROM won't be ready before then either??

• Like 2