IGNORED

ZOOP!

Sigurd

Does anyone here play it??

I have been told be a buddy to pick it up as soon as possible but I am unsure, all the screens I have seen confuse and scare me! :o

Also, the reviews I have read do not help me much in terms of letting me know if I should buy it, what do to guys think? you own it? you like it? do you actually play it?

I have been told be a buddy to pick it up as soon as possible but I am unsure, all the screens I have seen confuse and scare me! :o

Also, the reviews I have read do not help me much in terms of letting me know if I should buy it, what do to guys think? you own it? you like it? do you actually play it?

Try it here: Zoop! (Java)

I picked it up for cheap from ebay and really enjoy playing it. Even though it's basic it's presented well and has some strange jazzy music as a soundtrack. Very 90s! :cool:

Try it here: Zoop! (Java)

I picked it up for cheap from ebay and really enjoy playing it. Even though it's basic it's presented well and has some strange jazzy music as a soundtrack. Very 90s! :cool:

I think I need the manual, I have no idea what to do, or the controls :rolling:

Seems like it would be fun tho

It's a game that is easier to actually play, then to try to explain how to play. I enjoy it. It can almost be "relaxing." Neat background music, too.

IIRC, I found out a KB store had a copy of this game, and I had them send it to a KB closer to me so I could pick it up. Was among a few Jag games I got in the late 90s, maybe 2000-2001, I think.

Edited by Brian R.

I'm using Opera and the site wont let me vote. I have cookies enabled yet it says I don't. I've tried refreshing. Nothing. :(

Sorry. Guess Opera handles cookies different from IE and Firefox... :(

Currently getting a 67% at TAT. I for one didn't care for it.
Oh, that's because you simply have no taste. ;)

Well, I did post several of your articles. I must have some taste. ;)

I'm using Opera and the site wont let me vote. I have cookies enabled yet it says I don't. I've tried refreshing. Nothing. :(

Sorry. Guess Opera handles cookies different from IE and Firefox... :(

Currently getting a 67% at TAT. I for one didn't care for it.
Oh, that's because you simply have no taste. ;)

Well, I did post several of your articles. I must have some taste. ;)

Ah, quite true!

Anyway... this made me play some Zoop last night for the first time in a long time. So I was rusty. I got to level 7 and just short of 100,000 points. I had done better before, as my high scores show.

The trick is being able to change colors so you can get more objects of identical color lined up. The more you zap at once, the more points. Sometimes you have to exchange colors a couple times. And it seems there are patterns in which color/shape appears the most, or in sequence, or which of the four sides moves in the fastest.

And there are "powerups" that eliminate all of one color, all objects touching each other, an entire line or the entire board. And if you play in level mode - which I usually do - there's a goal to meet for the number of objects to clear.

Edited by Brian R.

• 1 year later...

I recently have gotten into playing ZOOP a lot. When I first tried it out years ago I didn't think that much of it and usually only lasted a couple of levels. Now, though, I find that I am able to play ZOOP much better for some reason and usually can get several levels into the game. It's decent fun if you enjoy puzzle-type games.

• 5 years later...

I tried getting into it BITD, but would get bored after a few minutes or rounds. Seems a bit tedious to me, moving your pointer around that square and lining up shots. Kind of a hybrid shooter and puzzler I guess - but lacks the compelling elements of wanting to come back. Flip Out! is more fun IMO. At least for a few more minutes anyway. :lol:

I tried getting into it BITD, but would get bored after a few minutes or rounds. Seems a bit tedious to me, moving your pointer around that square and lining up shots. Kind of a hybrid shooter and puzzler I guess - but lacks the compelling elements of wanting to come back. Flip Out! is more fun IMO. At least for a few more minutes anyway. :lol:

Reminds me of KLAX, or any other match the color/shape game. Would probably have been popular on Lynx but maybe not so impressive on the Jag. Oh well, I'll pop it in again sometime soon. I forget if this game is two player, that competitive element might add a little replay value..

Hilarious. I coincidentally popped this in last night after a mysterious craving to play it again. Must be the shared mind space or the internet of things or Gaia or something.

It has probably been about a decade since I played the game last. I enjoyed it much more than I did when I first played it. Something about its omnipresent marketing campaign and 90s kitsch made me dislike it back then. It felt like Viacom tried too hard to make the game culturally relevant. I say this in contrast to Tetris, which didn't try at all, but it became a phenomenon.

I also didn't enjoy many of the 16 bit ports that I can now see more objectively. Flashback is a prime example. It's an excellent game to have in every Jaguar library, but I didn't appreciate it back then when I was playing Iron Soldier or Battlemorph.

Anyway, Zoop a low-commitment game. Zoop and Impulse X are two games that I can play for a few minutes for a little brain relax and then get back to work (I work a lot). It's perfect for that, so I see it getting a lot more play in the near future. If you're looking for something more, you won't find it.

It has probably been about a decade since I played the game last. I enjoyed it much more than I did when I first played it. Something about its omnipresent marketing campaign and 90s kitsch made me dislike it back then. It felt like Viacom tried too hard to make the game culturally relevant. I say this in contrast to Tetris, which didn't try at all, but it became a phenomenon.

Anyway, Zoop a low-commitment game. Zoop and Impulse X are two games that I can play for a few minutes for a little brain relax and then get back to work (I work a lot). It's perfect for that, so I see it getting a lot more play in the near future. If you're looking for something more, you won't find it.

Interesting point about the Viacom media promotion of the game back in the day. I never thought about it that way, but now it makes sense to me.

In reality, there was a lot more that could have been done with the game. My guess is that by 1995 though, they needed to put the game out ASAP otherwise it would have been too late for the 16-bit and handheld versions. Still, the main game is a lot of fun in my opinion, and like you said it is a very low-commitment game-- one of the better "pick up and play" kind of games on the Jaguar for me. A full well-played game might take five to eight minutes, and then when I get a Game Over I can do it again if the urge is there (usually I have to play three or four times to get my fix).

The high score saving feature really helps for replay-incentive. The game felt especially rewarding when I was intentionally trying to play better to beat my current high score.

You have to get a few levels in (four or five at least, which only takes a couple of minutes), then it really starts to pick up in speed. By levels six or seven, it becomes very tense, then by level nine it becomes bat-s#*% crazy. Levels 10 and up are pretty much just there to test your sanity.

One way to play the game, and I suggest people give it a shot in this manner to get the most out of it, is intentionally swap the colors of the pieces and let rows of like-colored pieces build up. Getting longer streams gives you more points, and completing a full row of same-colored pieces gives you a ridiculous boost in score. It feels very rewarding to constantly get these, especially once the game speeds up. But that's also where it becomes a lot more difficult (and engaging).

Anyone ever play this? Like as a "go to" puzzle game for the Jag? I played it once and its been on my shelf ever since. Thinking of giving it another go.

I love this game! It's got a simple yet addictive (and very challenging, at higher levels) gameplay setup. The music is relaxing too.

Oh, and for once, the Jag has the best version (not by much, but it's still best played here).