IGNORED

Intellivision Entertainment Computer System (ECS) and Games

deadmeow

Anyone else ever have one of these in the old days? The ECS was the Intellivison computer module, it added 2k to the 8k Intellivison. You could use the extra 2k for programming basic langauge, which I always used to the last byte with my programs. The best part were the 2 games I had. World Series Baseball and Mind Strike.

World Series Baseball took advantage of the Intellivoice module, and the computer module provided extra sound voices for the music. The game had multiple 3D television views of the game(a first), and decent play by play. Most of all it was a fun game, and we had a lot of fun playing it.

Mindstrike was sort of a simple checkers type game, with giant numbers that "killed" smaller numbers by jumping on top of them on a game board. At opposite ends of the board were enemies castles, which you had to land on and conquer to win the game (or stamp out your opponents numbers). The best part of the game was that you could design your own boards, which made it really fun. You could play a turn based system, or you could play the "Speed Strike" version, which let you move as fast as you could move the controler.

I have another ECS that I got off of Ebay a while back, and a Mind Strike cart, but I have held out buying World Series Baseball. There is some clone selling a copy on Ebay for like 150.00 or so.

Anyway those are two really good games, which I have never heard anybody mention much, (I have heard World Series Baseball mention once or twice before).

ECS didn't get much support. There's like only 3 or 4 games that takes advantage of ECS and ECS basic programming is a bit different plus you'd need old style tape player with remote record feature to save programs. ECS did offer one thing not offered in any other console with computer add on: ability to leech game sprite(s) from the game cart. I had a bit of fun with the running figure from AD&D cart.

• Like 1

ECS did offer one thing not offered in any other console with computer add on: ability to leech game sprite(s) from the game cart.

That's really an awesome feature, I was shocked when I found out you could do that.

DeadMeow, I would say just get a cuttle cart 3, but World Series Baseball doesn't work with it...

I actually had some cool programs back in the old days, that I saved to tape. One was donkey kong jr running and falling into a pit, then you see the trap jaws eat him up, and the pit fills with blood.

You could do some neat things through basic language, but the 2k it gave you, really limited what you could do.

I still need to find the other manual for it, "Step-By-Step Guide to Home Computing". Does anyone happen to have a copy they're willing to part with?

The ECS is fun. I personally enjoy Mind Strike a lot. It really is a shame that more products were not made for the ECS.