IGNORED

Atari 800 Laptop #2

MrFish

Looks better except for that lousy keyboard! What was he thinking - if I wanted an Atari 400 keyboard I wouldn't have bought an 800/XL or 130 XE in the first place.

Although it looks like a membrane keyboard, if you read the construction article you'll find that's where the similarity ends.

I don't think anyone who custom designs something like this is gonna say "yes, that's what it needs, a keyboard made for children".

It does look a little different with the round, flush keys, though. Hard to say how it types. Although, our finger-tips are roundish.

Edited by MrFish

Thank you :)

It got a 512k Memory upgrade (one of Mega-Hz's famous battery backed SRAM type) integrated now.

The final internal powersupply PCB (including chargeing curcuit for the 3.300mAh NiMH batteries) is built in and working, too.

I'll make some more pics as soon i find my camera :-/

Yes, Beetle's one looks like Atari more. But I like arrow keys on Ben's book. I think it is possible to add such keys to Beetle's book, just take 4 keys from defunct XL keyboard and connect them to appropriate signals (I know that works with XE)

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that Beetle's version makes more sense. If you're going to use modern components for everything else, why limit yourself to a retro system. Most folks would probably prefer a vintage look with modern internals over modern look running antiquated internals. Still, I bow to Ben's ingenuity and skill building it. He definitely deserves praise for that. BTW, I think his variations of 2600 handhelds are fantastic.

As shoddily as it was assembled, I vote for Ben's first laptop. I like how it is the size of a Macintosh 12" computer, the metal casing, and the way it opens to a woodgrain look. To me the computer's appearance is perfect. But that is just my preference. And I believe Docrot set that up with compact flash and all. :) So Ben's first attempt gets my vote.