IGNORED

GTA 4 Delayed til 2008!

tantone56

The PS3 version may be a bit further behind, but no way in hell the 360 version is "done". Rockstar doesn't finish GTA games until literally the night before they go to pressing. And that usually follows about 90 hours worth of straight work from the entire team with no sleep to get it to that state.

The fact that Take-2 brass just saw a playable version of the game (that's what they said) means they were in initial testing phase. That's when Rockstar North would be sending the first build of the game to New York that's actually playable for a purpose other than just taking screenshots or movies. That doesn't mean it's complete, just that at least some missions are playable and the QA process can begin. (This process usually takes about 4-6 months.)

This is about the right time for that too, so it makes sense. At least one version of the game was probably just delivered for initial testing and Take-2 saw it and said "blecch!" It's possible the other version wasn't delivered at all.

But even if that's true, it doesn't put the blame on one version or the other, because we don't know if they were unhappy with what they didn't see of the PS3 version, or what they did see of the 360 version. They may have gotten one mission on the 360 and then a bunch of unplayable crap representing the rest of the game.

I was surprised by the delay, but things happen. Plenty of games to hold me over until GTA drops.

No doubt, There's several games (Two Worlds, BioShock, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonota Lair....) on my must play list as it is and that's just in the next month!! The delay is kind of a blessing, I've already got a game queue going.

Edited by moycon

I really don't get why this is such big news in the gaming scene.

Because it's a series that's sold around 47 million copies? Each iteration directly generates about $300 million in revenue for Rockstar - that's bigger than most blockbuster movies. It also helps sell systems and in turn other games - the PS2 didn't really pull away from its competitors until GTA3's release. All told, you're talking about probably $1 billion worth of influence on the industry's bottom line this year, now gone.

Yes, that's big news.

I would also argue that Rockstar's other games benefit from a GTA halo effect; they wouldn't be very popular otherwise. Would anybody have cared about this little developer making a ping pong game without GTA? And now it's a freakin' pack-in. People pay attention to Rockstar because of GTA. So it definitely affects them negatively across the board when there are problems with the series.