IGNORED

Online Atari 2600 Label Maker : Now with Silver Labels

Cropsy

What label variation would you like to see next?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What label variation would you like to see next?

• Atari 2600 Red Label
    • Atari 2600 Children's Label
    • Atari 7800 Label
    • Activision Label
    • Imagic Label

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

"account has been suspended"

I figured it wouldn't take long, after it hit Kotaku.

It wasn't Kotaku, it was Digg.

..Al

Digg got it many hours after Kotaku, already had over 3000 views by the time they got it. :ponder:

@Phantom: www.digg.com

It was fine when I looked at Kotaku several times today after it was posted on Kotaku. Digg gets MUCH higher readership than Kotaku, and it went down shortly after it popped up on Digg. It's fairly typical for sights to go down after they've appeared on the front page of Digg. Kotaku is not nearly as damaging as Digg--AA has been linked from Kotaku before.

..Al

As you've no doubt noticed the label maker is currently down. Unfortunately producing the labels is fairly resource intensive and once the site made it to Digg (which can send thousands of visitors per hour) this result was pretty much inevitable :(

I've lodged a ticket with my host to see if they will unsuspend the account. If not I'll get some alternate hosting and have the label maker back up in a day or two with some changes to lesson the load on the host.

Sorry for inconvenience guys.

Glenn

Is there any way you could kinda publish and copyright the code and release a limited downloadable version, free for personal use?? I think it's heromachine that does that.

Also, wanted to show you what I did after only 5 minutes, my premade labels from labelmaker as a template, and mspaint. imagine what you could do with photoshop (I don't have it anymore).

Nathan

post-7404-1186815035_thumb.jpg

Is there any way you could kinda publish and copyright the code and release a limited downloadable version, free for personal use?? I think it's heromachine that does that.

Not really, the code is all written in PHP and the interface is HTML only. I could release the source for people to upload onto other servers but I'd rather not as it has code I use in other projects.

I will have the site back up within the next couple of days. I don't think the problem is likely to reoccur as making the front page of Digg shouldn't ever happen again. Before being posted on Digg the site was receiving around 100 visitors a day, Digg sent over 11000 visitors in the space of a few hours.

I'm making some changes to the Label Maker to better handle large traffic and disabling hotlinking of images. I don't know that anything other than large amounts of money can keep a website like the Label Maker up after making the front page on Digg but after the changes smaller traffic increases should be handled OK.

Wow, what a great app! I need to post some news about this on the front page.

If you need some hosting where bandwidth and storage space won't be an issue, let me know. :)

..Al

Why not investigare Al's offer, what better place to host this cool app?

Wow, what a great app! I need to post some news about this on the front page.

If you need some hosting where bandwidth and storage space won't be an issue, let me know. :)

..Al

Why not investigare Al's offer, what better place to host this cool app?

Basically it's fun running my own site (not so much today though) and I'm learning quite a bit from the experience. As long as I don't hit the front page of Digg again there shouldn't be a problem keeping the site online in future.

On that note my account has now been unsuspended. However I'm keeping the actual Label Maker functionality offline until the site moves off the main Digg Games page. I'll reenable it when I get out of bed in 8 hours or so :)

Thanks for you patience.

Glenn

What can I say, I like crappy horror movies. There's something about the really black labels that appeal to me for scary movies although I can only think of Activision making comprable ones (Kung-Fu, Rampage). So while these are not traditional Atari, I'd buy the game if it looked like that! Another good cartridge would be the Excorcist if you got to control the girl...swirl the joystick to spin her head and press the button to vomit, the objective is to scare away the priests before they splash to much holy water onto you. Or Psycho, where the button controls the stabbing and you have to kill the girl in the shower before someone hears her screaming...some many possibilities

*NOTE: these are not atari maker labels as the site is down, these are just good old photoshop on one of your labels as a base!

post-14993-1186867596_thumb.jpg

post-14993-1186867610_thumb.jpg

post-14993-1186867641_thumb.jpg

post-14993-1186867662_thumb.jpg

!st 3 movies are awesome. The Blair Witch was about the most over rated, over hyped movie I have ever seen. I never watched a movie before waiting the entire time for somethingto happen, and it never did. i mean nothing. It gets intersting the last 30 secs and fades to black. What an awful flick and I really wanted to see it too like many tarts at that time.

The label maker is back online :)

I've had to disable image hotlinking because of extremely large amounts of traffic from some large forums. Hopefully the site will remain available now.

That seems reasonable--people should copy the image and put it on their own space somewhere if they want to share it with the world. Glad to see it's back online, now I can post some news about it here. :)

..Al

Glad to see it's back online, now I can post some news about it here. :)

..Al

That would be great. For an Atari related project making the front page of Atari Age is a better than the front page of Digg. Happily it's also less likely to bring the site down :)

On a related note I've made some changes to the label maker to prevent it from generating multiple labels simulataneously, it now does them one a time in sequence which should lesson the load on my host. There is (hopefully small) posibility I've screwed up this new code so if anyone spots any unusual behaviour please let me know.

Thanks

Glenn

Glad to see it's back online, now I can post some news about it here. :)

..Al

That would be great. For an Atari related project making the front page of Atari Age is a better than the front page of Digg. Happily it's also less likely to bring the site down :)

On a related note I've made some changes to the label maker to prevent it from generating multiple labels simulataneously, it now does them one a time in sequence which should lesson the load on my host. There is (hopefully small) posibility I've screwed up this new code so if anyone spots any unusual behaviour please let me know.

Thanks

Glenn

Also, I bet Albert will actually credit you with authoring it, instead of saying EVERYONE PAY ATTENTION TO ME, LOOK WHAT I FOUND! like those other idiots on those stupid pages. That bugged me a lot.