IGNORED

Online Atari 2600 Label Maker : Now with Silver Labels

Cropsy

What label variation would you like to see next?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What label variation would you like to see next?

• Atari 2600 Red Label
    • Atari 2600 Children's Label
    • Atari 7800 Label
    • Activision Label
    • Imagic Label

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The label maker is back up with the addition of new silver / grey labels. Two styles are available one with the Rainbow covering the entire label width and the other with rainbow limited to the width of the image on the label. I've called them small rainbow and large rainbow because I didn't know any better, if there is a more official name for the two variations please let me know.

Great additions to your label maker! Nice to see that you're supporting both label styles. I personally have not given the two distinct styles names, but the names you've come up with work for me. :) A few comments:

- The font used for the Atari logo (and in particular, the rotated "2600" text) is a bit off, which is more noticeable on the "large rainbow" label. The letters making up "ATARI" should be closer together, and the "2600" looks to be the wrong font. Here is an example:

c_Centipede_Silver_front.jpg

Not sure how closely you'll be able to match this, but if you're using static images for the labels as a base, I think you should be able to get pretty close.

- In your "Atari Links" box on the right, you might want to add a link to the "Silver Labels" page here:

http://www.atariage.com/label_page.html?Sy...0&LabelID=5

I might have to break apart the silver label types since there are two distinct styles. :)

- In that same box, "Atari Age" should be "AtariAge" (one word). Thanks. :)

Keep up the great work!!

..Al

Thanks for the feedback Albert.

- The font used for the Atari logo (and in particular, the rotated "2600" text) is a bit off, which is more noticeable on the "large rainbow" label. The letters making up "ATARI" should be closer together, and the "2600" looks to be the wrong font.

The 2600 text is definitely the wrong font. I'm not sure what the correct font should be as it doesn't seem to match anything in my Atari fonts collection. I will change the the spacing in the Atari text to more closely match an actual label though.

Edit to Add I took the spacing for the large rainbow silver labels from one of the grey labels (see below). It seems the grey and silver variations have different text spacing :(

c_SpaceInvaders_Silver_front.jpg

Not sure how closely you'll be able to match this, but if you're using static images for the labels as a base, I think you should be able to get pretty close.

Where possible I'm constructing everything using a script to allow scaling to different sizes. However for the top of the silver labels I had to resort to using images.

- In your "Atari Links" box on the right, you might want to add a link to the "Silver Labels"

- In that same box, "Atari Age" should be "AtariAge" (one word). Thanks.

I'll add the new link (plus one for text labels) later today. After all these years I didn't actually know the preferred spelling of AtariAge was all one word. :)

Edited by Cropsy

The 2600 text is definitely the wrong font. I'm not sure what the correct font should be as it doesn't seem to match anything in my Atari fonts collection. I will change the the spacing in the Atari text to more closely match an actual label though.

Edit to Add I took the spacing for the large rainbow silver labels from one of the grey labels (see below). It seems the grey and silver variations have different text spacing :(

c_SpaceInvaders_Silver_front.jpg

I would use the earlier "silver" label deign (with the tighter spacing) as the more definitive version. The gray labels that came later are not nearly as common and were sloppy in many aspects in regards to matching the earlier labels. As for the font, I assume you already have these:

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/Atar...l?SystemID=2600

Not sure exactly what's used for the "2600", though, and the above page is far from being definitive on the subject.

I'll add the new link (plus one for text labels) later today. After all these years I didn't actually know the preferred spelling of AtariAge was all one word. :)

Great, thanks! Forgot about the link for the text labels. Yeah, many people spell it as "Atari Age", that's quite common. :)

..Al

With thanks to Albert for bring the problems to my attention I've updated the silver/grey labels. They are now based on the more common Silver style, some of the fonts are still a little off however. The links to AtariAge have also been updated.

Finally I've reset the poll with all news options so anyone who wants to can vote again.

With thanks to Albert for bring the problems to my attention I've updated the silver/grey labels. They are now based on the more common Silver style, some of the fonts are still a little off however. The links to AtariAge have also been updated.

You know what would be nice--if the sample on the bottom of the page changed when you choose the type of label you want to create. :) Either that, or perhaps you could have a small thumb of each cartridge type and use radio button under each thumb to select between the different types of labels..

..Al

The font used for {...} the rotated "2600" text is a bit off {...} Here is an example:

The 2600 text is definitely the wrong font. I'm not sure what the correct font should be as it doesn't seem to match anything in my Atari fonts collection.
As for the font, I assume you already have these:

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/Atar...l?SystemID=2600

Not sure exactly what's used for the "2600", though, and the above page is far from being definitive on the subject.

According to my notes, it's Avant Garde, with capital "Oh"s instead of zeroes.

BTW, something similar was used for the "dashboard" text on the 4-switch woodgrain and "Vader" consoles -- Avant Garde Gothic Bold.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Regarding the red vertical 2600 text on silver labels

Thanks! That font is a much better match. The amount of knowledge on this board is staggering sometimes :)

I've updated the label maker with new headers for both silver label types.

Do your notes have anything on the font used for the "Use with Joystick Controller" and Copyright parts? At the moment I'm using Ergoe but it's not quite the right font.

Thanks! That font is a much better match. The amount of knowledge on this board is staggering sometimes :)

I've updated the label maker with new headers for both silver label types.

Do your notes have anything on the font used for the "Use with Joystick Controller" and Copyright parts? At the moment I'm using Ergoe but it's not quite the right font.

Not specifically, only that Ergoe and Eras (as well as clones Ergo, Eric, Erie and Erlangen) may be used, in several weights (light, normal, demi, bold).

It looks like Avant Garde is a little light for the vertical "2600"; perhaps a demi or bold weight would match better. You might also try clones like Auxin, Avante, Avian, a-Lancet, etc.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I think something's wrong. I just tried to make a label and got the attached-- no title in either large or small rainbow. It was working at first, and the other styles seem to be working okay.

It's working OK for me. Small rainbow mode doesn't include the title in the main label. Can you try large rainbow again and double check that you've entered a title :)

Not specifically, only that Ergoe and Eras (as well as clones Ergo, Eric, Erie and Erlangen) may be used, in several weights (light, normal, demi, bold).

It looks like Avant Garde is a little light for the vertical "2600"; perhaps a demi or bold weight would match better. You might also try clones like Auxin, Avante, Avian, a-Lancet, etc.

Thanks for the additional info. I've settled on using Avant Garde with Photoshop Faux Bolding for the vertical 2600.

Looking at the AtariAge silver label list it seems Atari used at least 3 different fonts or variants for the controller and copyright section of silver labels.

Small rainbow with what looks like a Bold Ergoe

c_Millipede_Silver_front.jpg

Small rainbow with regular Ergoe

c_Krull_Silver_front.jpg

Large rainbow with bold Avante Garde

I really wish Atari had been a little more consistent with their labels :)