IGNORED

New games

buddpaul

New games for the 2600/5200 are so popular, I wonder why noone has jumped on the bandwagon to start making new 8-bit games. Of course, there are umpteen-gazillion homebrew titles for 8-bits, but I mean something released on floppy or cassette, with packaging, the whole 9-yards..........anyone wanna jump in and do it?

The difference is that for consoles, you must make a cartridge for people to play on real machine. Its the only media for a console and people like the idea of getting the same kind of package they did in 80's. Okay, some have a Cuttle cart, but not many. IMHO, getting a package isn't as desirable for computer users for the simple reason that they are not used to it. Sad to say, but piracy was rampant in the 80's and I doubt whether there would be a market for disk or cassette packages when an ATR is available. Disk drives, SIO2PC cables make it easy to distribute a new game.

However, there is a market for cartridges because of the convenience of instant loading and they are great for kids who will mangle a 5-1/4 inch floppy. Video61 is always putting out new cartridge titles. The last time I got one, it did come in a box, but it was just a generic white box, no artwork. I would kinda like to see a full blown cartridge release.

Just my 2©,

I never thought the packaging very important on 8-bit.

- it rarely got very interesting on the 8-bit in my opinion.

and..... there were so many different (and non-consistent) styles from loads of companies, unlike your 2600 or other consoles. I think it's that consistency that gives the packaging appeal - I'm not an artist, but where would you start on something for an "Atari 8-bit" look?

Maybe Atari's own carts?

Even their presentation wasn't a patch on the 2600 and 5200's, (and there aren't that many carts anyway). The boxes were nearly all stupidly large (even that wasn't consistent)- ok with some nice artwork, but the carts themseleves just have some dull text.

Do many people here collect 8-bit, still shrinkwrapped software like on the consoles? I'm guessing hardly anyone because the packaging is mostly just horrible!

Hey but that's just my opinion. I'd love people to prove me wrong here:)

Oh I don't know!

THose BIG balck boxes have a certain appeal - always GREAT artwork too...

I think the smaller (but not very small) silver boxes were best - great clean graphic style, very modern for computer software (esp at the time) - Caverns of Mars is a great box...

I liked the real labels the XEGS carts have on them - although not high quality they looked more exciting :)

Space Harrier should be on an XEGS cart (the knobbly sided ones) with picture lable, but in a 1983 silver box with the DK strap line "You don't just play the game you feel it"!!!

sTeVE

Speaking of 8-bit boxes, what about the great loads of fun inside the Infocom boxes? I loved Hitchhiker's Guide, Planetfall, and even the Cutthroats package, those were my favorite game paks back in the day, so I'd say a few people like boxes with disks especially if its a deeper game.

-O

The Infocom packaging was really incredible. The different items that came with each game really added to the experience and immersion. I got a couple of the Infocom collections for PC, and while the games are awesome, they lose some of their magic without those gray, lined boxes.

I also kinda liked the old black boxes Atari shipped their 8-bit carts in. Of course, that's probably just nostalgia talking. Still, I recently got my hands on Defender and Star Raiders, new in the box. Having those new carts took me back. :D

Infocom packaging wasn't Atari specific - so its resonances are rather generic...

BUT - forget the awful later grey boxes and remember the UNIQUE packaging - before they got cheap!!!

Starcross in the flying saucer, the 3D White Mask box of Suspended, the Police Folder for Deadline and Witness - even those games that did not have whacky packaging came in the wonderful big LP gatefold sleeves - 100% the best 5 1/4 disc packaging ever (used by EA etc too!!!)...

sTeVE, cuddling his original copy of MULE

...and those Infocom games have some serious resale value. I've seen many of them sell for over $100 on good ol' eBay. Seems like Starcross once sold for over $300, but I might be off on that.

MULE, well, that will never sell for under $100, most likely. I keep hoping to snag a "cheap" copy some day.. Yeah, right! :roll:

...and those Infocom games have some serious resale value.  I've seen many of them sell for over $100 on good ol' eBay.  Seems like Starcross once sold for over $300, but I might be off on that.

I saw an original saucer Starcross, still shrinkwrapped, go for over $2,000 on eBay. So yes, I'd have to concur that these packages can pull in some serious cash! I have many of the original Infocom packages, including Starcross, but not shrinkwrapped. But I'm not going to sell them anytime soon, if ever. :)

It was always a joy opening an Infocom game, wondering what was going to be inside, and taking the time to actually look through the documentation because you knew it was going to be special. I remember some games also had an envelope that you had to wait until a certain time in the game to open. Ahhh, nostalgia!

..Al

I collect software boxes, not really Atari so much, I try to get Commodore

64 versions. I think 8 bit era computer packaging is the best the industry

ever had. Now we all talked about Infocom, there stuff is true quality, but

what about Ultima? Those Ultima games came with a cloth map of the

world, and usually a metal token or coin of some sort. The books were

well made too, with nice runes on them.

I also think EA packaging was tops as well. The LP style gatefolds were

really well made. Some even being triple folds. I also appreciate the fact

they included a picture of the programmers, a nice human touch. Also

what is nice about them is many have the EA company symbol hidden

in the artwork.