IGNORED

Best NES Style Games?

A Sprite

I was going to make a top 5, but the only three I could think of that held their own against other Atari games were:

1. Kung Fu Master: As a kid, this was my first exposure to stages, bosses, videogame kung fu, evil midgets, graphics that kind of looked like people, and the hope of an ending. It was also my first exposure to Jackie Chan, but I still can't see how I was supposed to know that...

2. Klax: Just like any other tile sorting you'd do at a machine shop. Some people get paid for this.

3. Ikari Warriors: If you have to slaughter people, this game is one of the better ways to do it.

Are there any others?

Edited by A Sprite

Do you mean NES style games that are on the 2600? Kung Fu master is awesome though, the 2600 version is super impressive. The 2600 Ikari Warrors game sucks though. Never played the 2600 Klax....Actually, I never played any version of Klax. Looked very unappealing to me.

Secret Quest is the closest thing you're going to find to The Legend of Zelda on the Atari 2600. You wander through rooms, kill monsters, and collect items that help you progress. It doesn't look nearly as good, and the monsters don't quite compare to the ones in Zelda. You fight dog-like goblins, creepy wizards, and rock-spitting octopi in Zelda, while in Secret Quest, your foes include... an outer space potato man? Still, when you're looking for a 1987 experience on 1977 technology, you have to take what you can get.

JR

Edited by Jess Ragan

• 2 weeks later...

I remember as a kid HERO always blew me away, the animation, the levels were always different, the first game that made me forget about my score (except when looking forward to a free man) and more into seeing what the next stage would be and where I would have to traverse next.

I had Solaris too, but never understood it, I didn't have a manual unfortunately and nobody else could help me out either.

I nominate Super Sprint and Realsports Boxing. Both have some decent menus so that you can select your options without having to mess with the difficulty and select switches. Not only that, but I think they look pretty good considering that they are on the 2600!

• 2 months later...