IGNORED

Fall Down question

Brian R.

EDIT - Please see my question in post #4. Thank ya!

I recently bought the 2600 homebrew Fall Down. Are there known issues with playing this game on a 7800?

My 7800 works fine, as far as I know - I play other 2600 games, homebrews, 7800 games and the PacMan Collection on it. But with Fall Down, sometimes upon first starting it, I'd get a black screen with two vertical yellow bands. But most of the time the game would start and play.

Main problem is at the end of a game, instead of going back to the title screen, the game would "crash." The screen would get kinda purplish in color, with jagged lines coming out from the left side.

But when I play it on a 2600, there's no problems at all.

Anyone know what's up?

Edited by Brian R.

It should work, but I've had problems with some 7800 systems not playing certain games. And unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason as to why this occurs. If the game wasn't working properly on your 2600 it would definitely be a bad cart, but since it works fine on the 2600 there's not much I can really suggest, unfortunately. However, if you do want to exchange it for another cart to see if another would perform better on your 7800, I would be glad to do that.

..Al

It should work, but I've had problems with some 7800 systems not playing certain games. And unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason as to why this occurs. If the game wasn't working properly on your 2600 it would definitely be a bad cart, but since it works fine on the 2600 there's not much I can really suggest, unfortunately. However, if you do want to exchange it for another cart to see if another would perform better on your 7800, I would be glad to do that.

..Al

Weird. Never had a problem with the other 2600 homebrews on my 7800 (the ones I have are in my sig.) Are there any ones in particular that have been problematic in this way?

Since we're not sure it's the system or the cart, and I do have a working 2600 on which to use it... not sure what to do, either. I'll let ya know. I have been considering investing in a new 7800 board from Best just for the hell of it.

EDIT... I just tried it a few more times again on my 7800 to be sure. It starts up fine, plays fine - looks and sounds OK. But it always crashes at the end of a game. But not on the 2600.

----> And a side question - what determines if you get a continue/respawn in this game? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Sometimes it seems like I'm going to, but I never see my character appear, and after an extended pause, the screen flashes and it's game over. I get the impression I respawned, but somehow went straight to the top of the screen and died immediately.

Edited by Brian R.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried Fall Down on another 7800 - a brand new one, BTW ;) - and it didn't crash at the end of the game.

My other question still remains - what determines if you get a continue? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, and I can't see why or why not. And why are there times where it seems you're about to get a continue - because the game doesn't end - but it seems you get killed again without even seeing your player? Is he emerging/respawning at or off the top of the screen?

I have tried Fall Down on another 7800 - a brand new one, BTW ;) - and it didn't crash at the end of the game.

My other question still remains - what determines if you get a continue? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, and I can't see why or why not. And why are there times where it seems you're about to get a continue - because the game doesn't end - but it seems you get killed again without even seeing your player? Is he emerging/respawning at or off the top of the screen?

The game ends when both players have died. As long as one player is on screen, the other respawns after a fixed amount of time, like 5 seconds or so. The idea behind it was that if you get killed early on, you just get penalized a couple platforms, rather than losing the whole game and having to wait while the other player finishes.

For the record, I (i.e. the author) have a 7800, and the game works fine for me...

The game ends when both players have died. As long as one player is on screen, the other respawns after a fixed amount of time, like 5 seconds or so. The idea behind it was that if you get killed early on, you just get penalized a couple platforms, rather than losing the whole game and having to wait while the other player finishes.

For the record, I (i.e. the author) have a 7800, and the game works fine for me...

So if both die around the same time, or the surviving player dies before the dead player respawns, then the game ends? Even in one player - which is the only way I've played it.

About the 7800 issue, Al said it's something that happens on some, not all 7800s. I have two now - I had it happen on one, but not my new one.

Thanks for the response! Good game (I wrote a review in the store).

Edited by Brian R.

So if both die around the same time, or the surviving player dies before the dead player respawns, then the game ends? Even in one player - which is the only way I've played it.

Yeah, the game doesn't distinguish between human and AI players. The only exception is the special mode where the blue player is actually removed... in that it should end as soon as you die. Thanks for the review :)

• 2 weeks later...

There are differences between a real 2600 and playing on a 7800. I don't know all the technical stuff but I do know that quite a few homebrew games do not work on the 7800 (can't think of exactly which ones right now). Also, Batari Basic games do not work (at least so far) on the 7800 (GoSub, Phantom II/Pirate). Pleiades and Funky Fish from the AA store do not work on the 7800. I find this very frustrating sometimes because I keep my 7800 hooked up but usually keep the 2600 put away in the closet. Kind of pain to bring it out. (Life can be so rough sometimes).