IGNORED

video upgrade?

bob1200xl

Oh you are in Michigan, I am in Western New York state (not NYC), not that far away. I look forward to news on your project. I am glad someone is doing a cartridge approach for 80 columns instead of going through the Joystick port and does not require anybody to solder it inside the computer.

Me too! I can't wait to see how the prototype turns out. I just love the idea of having an 80 column display *and* the standard video output together on the same connector so I don't have to switch back and forth all the time :) Please keep up posted!

Hello Electron

Hmmm... 80 columns ? Together with standard GTIA output ? And maybe with scrolling ? Colors ? ... Hmmmm

Look at this:

http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/3e54d68925202526.html

http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/a73c1c9b48478a8e.html

Do you have more information on this. I'ld like to add it to my internetsite.

Greetings

Mathy

Hmmm... 80 columns ? Together with standard GTIA output ? And maybe with scrolling ? Colors ? ... Hmmmm

Look at this:

Yes but can we get all that goodness in a plug-n-play upgrade that doesn't require a screwdriver or soldering skills? ;)

Though that said, if VBXE and bob1200XL's upgrades can co-exist then we have something that makes more sense. Since you're already in for a penny modding an A8 into a superset of itself then might as well go for the full pound. A 7.14 Mhz 16-bit processor with a lotsa memory and a flash storage adaptor is a good bet to feed VBXE anyway. A few months back we had a thread about a "new A8". That combo would give us what an "Atari IIGS" might have looked like.

The upgrade under discussion in this thread is trivially installable and removable assuming featuritus is avoided. Require internal installation and the balance of merit swings in favor of VBXE since it is already engineered and would be $50 more at most. If this upgrade retains the cartridge/PBI/ECI installation characteristic then it can still offer a range of possibilities over stock video that are worthwhile even if it can never be as powerful as VBXE.

Edited by frogstar_robot

One issue with a cartridge/PBI/ECI is that there might be issues with syncing the video to overlay another signal. However not impossible. Since you have to take the video output from the Atari computer, attach it to this cartridge, and then send to the monitor from there. Yes, it has the advantage of not requiring any hardware modification, but you sacrifice some speed if you want to use both of them together to generate some nice graphics. It would be problematic to do a game that is animation intensive. Doing something through a cartridge does limit you to a memory window of $8000 to $BFFF and have to bank switch and that starts to slow things down.

VBXE is an internal upgrade directly interfacing the ANTIC/GTIA chipset. Adding right onto those chip abilities and much faster. It directly sends color signals to the Antic chip when in use and overlays its own video layer and that is sent to the video output. Also allows the Antic chip to do all the synchronizing to the monitor or TV.

Having several upgrades on a single board, like memory, CPU, and video will to cut down and interfacing and spacing problems. Both the FRAM cartridge and VBXE are going to have advantages and disadvantages, but it is going to be the end user to decide which one to go with. I do encourage both developers to continue their work.

It may be useful to add computing capability to the FRAM system, something you can send high level commands. Lots of possibilities... fewer limitations. The original intent is 80 columns and improved resolution. Not much of a platform for animation intensive games, no.

Bob

One issue with a cartridge/PBI/ECI is that there might be issues with syncing the video to overlay another signal. However not impossible. Since you have to take the video output from the Atari computer, attach it to this cartridge, and then send to the monitor from there. Yes, it has the advantage of not requiring any hardware modification, but you sacrifice some speed if you want to use both of them together to generate some nice graphics. It would be problematic to do a game that is animation intensive. Doing something through a cartridge does limit you to a memory window of $8000 to $BFFF and have to bank switch and that starts to slow things down.

VBXE is an internal upgrade directly interfacing the ANTIC/GTIA chipset. Adding right onto those chip abilities and much faster. It directly sends color signals to the Antic chip when in use and overlays its own video layer and that is sent to the video output. Also allows the Antic chip to do all the synchronizing to the monitor or TV.

Having several upgrades on a single board, like memory, CPU, and video will to cut down and interfacing and spacing problems. Both the FRAM cartridge and VBXE are going to have advantages and disadvantages, but it is going to be the end user to decide which one to go with. I do encourage both developers to continue their work.

Look at this:

The color text is absolutely great. I keep seeing references to VBXE, but nothing that I can recall that is a status update. Perhaps posted somewhere else?

...is it going to happen?

...how far along is the development?

-Larry

@Larry: the hardware is actually done and some 20 pieces are out. The "development" is limited to the new softcore. Once it is ready, the people who have the VBXE hardware just reflash its flash-ROM and voila - they have new, more powerful version of the VBXE ...

... and now tell me someone that this device isn't professionally made and isn't worth it's price.

@Larry: the hardware is actually done and some 20 pieces are out. The "development" is limited to the new softcore. Once it is ready, the people who have the VBXE hardware just reflash its flash-ROM and voila - they have new, more powerful version of the VBXE ...

... and now tell me someone that this device isn't professionally made and isn't worth it's price.

> and now tell me... (??)

Where to buy (if it works with NTSC). The US$ is showing signs of life, so this is probably a great time to buy (from here).

On the other hand, with the credit markets in a funk, if I have to get a loan, I'm probably SOL. ;)

-Larry

I think that there must be someone, who gets in touch with electron, and makes an agreement on producing the board in larger quantities.

I'm in the US and ready to buy one (I have a PAL 130XE it will be going into). I just need to know the price and where to send the money :)

Stephen Anderson

What's the installation procedure for this product?

I really suspect this is a joke and not a real item. No one as far as I know was doing a VGA cartridge with 2GB ram.

To answer the questions about VBXE. As far as I know, they will be available at some point in the future, hopefully not too long. To install them, you have to desolder the ANTIC chip and plug it into the VBXE board, then solder the VBXE board into where the ANTIC chip got removed. This has been an on-going discussion for over 2 years and I would like to them become available in North America within the next year.

Hmmm, looks like a fun cart, XE only?

No XL or XE no 400/800 Though, I would have finished this thing over a year ago had my wife not passed away

in January. So that brought Development to a halt, several system and hard drive crashes later along with a theft

of my Development system, It's not been easy but as with most things Atari it's been very worthwhile :)

The only Features working are the Video and the SD card, Thanks to the wonderful advise of several of the noted

Atari personalities the SD 80 Cartridge is becoming a reality.

Full SD Card support Fat 16 File system, with ATR and native support up to 2GB of Storage for Images and even

cartridge and/or OS images loaded from the SD Card.

Thanks

Ed

Hmmm, looks like a fun cart, XE only?

No XL or XE no 400/800 Though, I would have finished this thing over a year ago had my wife not passed away

in January. So that brought Development to a halt, several system and hard drive crashes later along with a theft

of my Development system, It's not been easy but as with most things Atari it's been very worthwhile :)

The only Features working are the Video and the SD card, Thanks to the wonderful advise of several of the noted

Atari personalities the SD 80 Cartridge is becoming a reality.

Full SD Card support Fat 16 File system, with ATR and native support up to 2GB of Storage for Images and even

cartridge and/or OS images loaded from the SD Card.

Thanks

Ed

Wow, great work, hope you get to complete it without too many more problems