IGNORED

GoSub 2

atari2600land

It works with Stella for me. Did you try pressing the reset button in Stella (F2)? Also, at the title screen, to get the minigame, hold down the game select switch (F1) until the number 2 shows up. Here's a new version in which the minigame is 99% complete. The only problem left is why is it when player 1 holds down joy0up && joy0left, it won't fire; and when player 2 holds down joy1down && joy1right, it also won't fire. The main game is kinda still a mess:

-Sometimes when the fish gets shot, the octopus and/or the fish freeze for a few seconds before moving

-Collision between the enemy and the sub counts as the enemy being shot (even though I told it otherwise)

If I get help with these problems then I can go design some more mazes.

gosubtwo35b.bas.bin

gosubtwo35b.bas

I just tried making both subs fire and hitting each other at the same time in the minigame. There is a tiny patch of code that I adjusted to make it actually complete the process of both subs being hit at the same time, but I didn't think it was a huge adjustment, so I'm not bothering with a .bas and .bin file, and instead putting the code change in this reply.

(in bank 2)

player1x=player1x+w : player1y=player1y+z  
 if v{1} && v{0} then goto missile0fired   
 if v{3} && v{0} then goto missile0fired : rem new line  
 if v{5} && v{0} then goto missile0fired : rem new line
 if v{2} && v{3} then goto player1_hit_seq

The lines should be indented by one space, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Edited by atari2600land

The lines should be indented by one space, but I can't figure out how to do that.

I had to do some searching to find the answer. You have to put an extra space in front of your leading space(s), because the bbcode "eats" the first space. So if you want each line to begin with a space when displayed, begin each line with two spaces when entering the code.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after taking a break, I went back and removed the fish from the game. Three reasons for this decision:

1. - The original GoSub had no fish, so adding another enemy to the sequel wouldn't be a huge loss.

2. - Programming reasons: I had a heckuva time programming the fish and its movement in there, and didn't actually get it to work good anyway. Also, I want GoSub 2 to be free of flicker.

3. - A fish doesn't really seem threatening. A shark would have been ok, but for reason #2, I can't really do it because the shark would be gray, and with the background being gray on the B&W setting, it would seem to blend in there.

So anyway, because I wanted to work on this game again, here's the latest version with a new maze. The game goes screwy after level 3 and I know why and will fix it. It will be like this until I create and program all the mazes in.

I will program some title screen music as one of the last things to do for this game. Comments/suggestions welcome.

gosubtwo37.bas.bin

gosubtwo37.bas

I think I'll keep the name GoSub 2 for now unless I hear more opinions about GoSub Returns. Nothing new except added a sonar 'ping' noise at the title screen. Also, if someone has a way to test this on real hardware, I'd appreciate it if it was.

gosubtwo39.bas.bin

gosubtwo39.bas

While I was playing GoSub 2, I thought "Man, this is silent. I think I'll add some music." So I did. This version has the in-game music. Let me know what you think of it. I'm not exactly a composer by all means, but it's something. This is the last update for the day.

gosubtwo40.bas.bin

gosubtwo40.bas

I was toying with the idea of putting extra lives in the mazes and you can get them if you need them, but they should be hard to get to. If I go with this, the lives you have at the end of one level will carry over to the next, i.e. if you end a maze with 2 lives, you'll have 2 lives at the beginning of the next level. That's the way it is in this version. Also, I changed the in-game music so the right difficulty controls it. B=off and A=on. Tell me what you think.

gosubtwolives.bas.bin

gosubtwolives.bas

Bad news, it looks like I'll have to make a new mini-game. Problems arose and I have no idea how I triggered them or how to fix them, so rather than release a potentially bug-filled program, I decided to scrap the GoSub Combat mini-game. Well, it was fun while it lasted. No worries, though, as I have an idea for a new mini-game: Sub Racer. It'll be like Street Racer only with submarines. I made a new maze, level 7. If you have more than 9 lives, the game will limit you to 9, so at least I have *some* sense of programming.

gosubtwo43.bas.bin

gosubtwo43.bas

Bad news, it looks like I'll have to make a new mini-game. Problems arose and I have no idea how I triggered them or how to fix them, so rather than release a potentially bug-filled program, I decided to scrap the GoSub Combat mini-game. Well, it was fun while it lasted. No worries, though, as I have an idea for a new mini-game: Sub Racer. It'll be like Street Racer only with submarines. I made a new maze, level 7. If you have more than 9 lives, the game will limit you to 9, so at least I have *some* sense of programming.

That's too bad. :( If you are absolutely sure you are done with your combat mini game, may I suggest another possiblity (if you haven't gotten too far already with Sub Racer). What about a GoSub-themed version of Zyx (Stickman)? It's an extremely addictive concept, substantially smaller than the fairly heavy-weight Combat DX engine your mini-game is based off of and best of all, it's already programmed.

That's too bad. :( If you are absolutely sure you are done with your combat mini game, may I suggest another possiblity (if you haven't gotten too far already with Sub Racer). What about a GoSub-themed version of Zyx (Stickman)? It's an extremely addictive concept, substantially smaller than the fairly heavy-weight Combat DX engine your mini-game is based off of and best of all, it's already programmed.

OK, I'll add Zyx as an Easter egg. It's only 2k. Sub Racer though, seems a perfect candidate for the mini-game, as GoSub 1's was Indy 500. If I can't program a decent Sub Racer, I'll replace it with a Zyx minigame with a GoSub theme (avoid the falling bombs, perhaps?)

OK, I'll add Zyx as an Easter egg. It's only 2k. Sub Racer though, seems a perfect candidate for the mini-game, as GoSub 1's was Indy 500. If I can't program a decent Sub Racer, I'll replace it with a Zyx minigame with a GoSub theme (avoid the falling bombs, perhaps?)

Good idea. As for the theme, the sub could be underwater (blue background?) possibly dodging sinking mines from the surface. That's just a suggestion, though. Feel free to go anywhere you want with the idea.