IGNORED

Super Burnout : Hidden Jaglink mode ?

Fredifredo

Super Burnout is a great game with a sense of speed that is almost unmatched on the Jag. Nice engine with smooth and speedy sprites. Just wanted to thank Oliver for all the work done on the game and for bringing such a fast paced and polished piece of art to the Jag.

Oh yeah, I remember you saying something about Atari wanting falling leaves in the game, even though it could not be done, it would have looked great. Nonetheless, great game! :)

Oliver, in your opinion, how do you think the Jaguar compares vs the Saturn and Playstation in terms of 2D. Gorf, an active Jaguar coder, thinks that the Jag is actually superior in 2D, basically only the lack of RAM keeps it down. Few people on this forum agree with Gorf in that regard. Someone posted a while ago, that he didnt think tha Jag could handle Raiden 2, yet the Playstation did vfery well, so it should be superior to the JAG.

What do you think.

Oliver, in your opinion, how do you think the Jaguar compares vs the Saturn and Playstation in terms of 2D. Gorf, an active Jaguar coder, thinks that the Jag is actually superior in 2D, basically only the lack of RAM keeps it down. Few people on this forum agree with Gorf in that regard. Someone posted a while ago, that he didnt think tha Jag could handle Raiden 2, yet the Playstation did vfery well, so it should be superior to the JAG.

What do you think.

alot of people think the Jaguar is superior in 2D,not just Gorf! :cool:

• 1 month later...
Oh yeah and I forgot, the original name was "Burnout", Atari's marketing decided that adding "Super" would incrase the number of sales. ;)

BTW nice website Fredifredo, that brings a lot of memories ;)

Yup, those of us with prototypes of the title know this. Funny how marketing works. ;) Now, was there a way to access that Jaglink mode in earlier versions some of us might have through a key combo?

Oh yeah and I forgot, the original name was "Burnout", Atari's marketing decided that adding "Super" would incrase the number of sales. ;)

BTW nice website Fredifredo, that brings a lot of memories ;)

Yup, those of us with prototypes of the title know this. Funny how marketing works. ;) Now, was there a way to access that Jaglink mode in earlier versions some of us might have through a key combo?

id love to know! it would be cool indeed. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

It's funny about the sound drivers on Jaguar - I wrote one for the jag that only accessed memory during vblank ( so it had up to 24 voices ) and I had to justify it to my boss at the time because Norman K. ( cant remember his name ) at atari told him that it was impossible.

( I think it was used on Val D'isere skiing because I remember how difficult it was to get snow samples.... also used on Brutal Sports football and probally F1 I guess - it was a long time ago )

• Like 1

It's funny about the sound drivers on Jaguar - I wrote one for the jag that only accessed memory during vblank ( so it had up to 24 voices ) and I had to justify it to my boss at the time because Norman K. ( cant remember his name ) at atari told him that it was impossible.

( I think it was used on Val D'isere skiing because I remember how difficult it was to get snow samples.... also used on Brutal Sports football and probally F1 I guess - it was a long time ago )

Atari Also told us you cant jump in main or from local to main and back....More LIES! Go play my Surrounded demo and see it live.

Edited by Gorf

Atari Also told us you cant jump in main or from local to main and back....More LIES! Go play my Surrounded demo and see it live.

There are always HW bugs and features :) - where can I get your demo from?

( Feeling tempted to buy a jaguar - to join all of the other old systems that I never have time to program for anymore :( )

( Feeling tempted to buy a jaguar - to join all of the other old systems that I never have time to program for anymore :( )

You should buy a Jaguar! its the BEST System EVER!!! :cool: Jag Rules!!

Here:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556358

Its a thread listing whose who in the Jag community these days along with links to all their available works. Someone please let me know if I've missed anyone or anything.

I would link straight to the demo of surrounded except it wouldn't seem to do any good since you don't have a Jaguar to run it on.

Here's a youtube link of it. It's usually not that dark though:

Edited by JagChris

So the way I resolved that was to actually use the branches of the display list, by having 3 levels of branches I was actually able to split the screen in 8 horizontal bands of 30 pixels or so.

Then I just had to fill each of the sub-display lists separatly, thus I just had 125+ sprites per display list, but 1000+ total displayed on the screen.

That way each horizontal line had almost full bandwidth to display the sprite.

The nightware was on the GPU side though, every single sprite had to be split in pieces to be placed on the proper horizontal band with the propoer offset initialized. Sometime sprites like bosses could be split over the whole 8 bands. Everything was displayed with that, even the multiple level of tiles for the background.

Impressive again :)

I imagine the nightmare it can be to handle this correctly.

I imagine it was transparent at usage, isn't it?

DId you split also scaled sprites (the word "nightmare" should be a bit weak then :D)?

I am not anymore so impressed because I just finished to write

a sprite manager that works the same way :D

Scaled sprites were a bit tricky to handle anyway.

Check it out with the Removers library 1.1.4 at

http://removers.atari.org/softs/download.php

• Like 1

The other thread got locked that you asked about this in. Here's another youtube of surrounded.

Not quite so dark as the other but still darker than on my tv. Maybe my tvs color setting is off or something. Or maybe its the size of the video window making it look dark to me. hmmm

The other thread got locked that you asked about this in. Here's another youtube of surrounded.

Not quite so dark as the other but still darker than on my tv. Maybe my tvs color setting is off or something. Or maybe its the size of the video window making it look dark to me. hmmm

Thanks for the link

Thanks for the link

Keep in mind.....its no sight and sound show but its proves that GPU main code jumps and execution

without help from another processor is more than possible and extremely stable.

Im also trying to locate a68k based AI version which you will clearly see it a lot slower....if I find the darn thing.

Edited by Gorf