IGNORED

Super Burnout : Hidden Jaglink mode ?

Fredifredo

Hi Olivier,

I'm sure you appreciate the similarity between the Jaguar and the PS3 Cell, they are not that very different in the way they are designed (not talking vector unit of course).

The Jaguar DSps had the advantage to be able to access the whole memory so it was easier to use them. ;)

It's good to hear somebody pointing out such realities of both past and present!

The lack of local RAM is what makes both more challenging as I understand it,

plus the complexities of introducing multi-processing as well as multi-threading.

Cheers,

Richard / JustClaws.

Hey guys,

I discovered this forum while browsing the web!

Funny that people are still talking about a game I wrote more than 13 years ago ;)

Hi Olivier! As you can see, there are plenty of Atari fans around here. We are still talking about Super Burnout because it's such a great game. :)

It would be interesting to find out what you're working on now, and what games you've worked on up to this point.

Trying to keep up with the questions. ;)

A little history (just to show how different things were back then ;).

When we started SBO we didn't have a contract with Atari. Elysee (project leader) had some contact with a company named Virtual eXperience that was developping on Jaguar.

They agreed to lend us their dev kit every week-end (so they could still develop their game during the week). So every friday night we grabbed the dev kit in their office, I worked crazy hours during the whole week-end, then monday morning we gave them the kit back. The artist Kheang Tan was able to work during the week on Amiga, but for me as programmer,

I needed the console to develop the game and put graphs / sounds / data together. Needless to say that was tough. Especially that our "main office" was Elysee's bedroom ;)

During the week I was going to the university to study my BSc.

Within 6 months our week-end project was further along than VX project that started before ours, so VX decided that it would be their best interest that we had one of their devkit full time. It coincided with the end of my university cycle, so then I continued full time on SBO and had to stop university.

I believe that Atari saw the demo and was very iterested, Jack Trammiel came to see us, and we started the contract with Atari at around that time.

They gave us 3-4 months to polish the game and we finally shipped. IIRC it took 12 to 14 months total between having the kit the first time in hand and shipped the product.

The first 6 months were not as productive as the middle obviously, there is so much you can do during the week-end without sleep ;)

The last 4 months were not very productive as well, we were trying to convince Atari that "No, we cannot have leaves falling from the trees with the wind, etc.." plus some tests like the jaglink, a couple of cheats, more bikes, etc... At the end we were not doing much, waiting for Atari to approve the final build.

With the money that we got, we created the company Shen Technologies, and unfortunately had no other deal with Atari anymore (they loved us though as we had specs for the jaguar 2 and this kind of stuff), but they died while we were developping our next game Nexus, so we had to switch to another platform.

About the 2 players mode, I actually don't remember the details but if I can guess (or maybe imaginating the past), we had to play 2 set of bikes for the two players and it may not have been enough CPU cycle to play these plus the music. Also note that the DSP had lower priority on the bus than the GPU. In 2 player mode we actually display more sprites,

although I may have split the display list, the costly zone was around the horizon line as that's where we had most sprites in a single line.

Thus having 2 players reduced the quality of the sound. We didn't have the time to change the music to reduce the number of voices to fit, so we prefered to cut the music instead of having the same phasing effects than other Jaguar games. (Also 16 bikes at the same time + music was particularly noisy and saturated).

BTW as that time I believe SBO had one of the best music player on Jaguar. We were able to play music 10 voices at 32 Khz with the best quality, no phasing, almost regardless of the number of sprites during the game with bikes, voices - ok, beside 2 players mode ;). Funny to see that at that time most of the games were struggling even to play 4 voices when there had an average number of sprites on the screen, doom was a perfect example of that.

In the main menu, because there was no bike to play and almost no GPU usage, we were able to play 16 voices at 50 KHz, the sound was really clear.

Anyway, I still do remember some of the technical details so if you have some questions don't hesitate, maybe my experience can help some new Jaguar developper ;)

• Like 3

WOW!!!, Very very interesting Olivier!, thank you so much for sharing those details! :D :D I always thought the sound on SBO was very clear, loud, and quite distinctive not muddy at all, now I know why. Man,... Atari asking to have leaves falling from the trees, and being thrown around by the wind of the passing bikes, that's a nice idea they had, but like you said was just not possible. You had some meager beginnings with the main office in a bedroom and staying up all weekend to code for Burnout, it's a really great game though and I enjoy it even yet today ;) , it's the best and most fun racing game on the Jaguar. :cool: It has a nice speed to the game - no slowdown, you really seem to have optimized the code. I'm thankful VX recognized your talents and efficiency in game making especially under your working conditions and then gave you access to the development kit full time. Thanks for taking the time to stop by Atariage again :) , I love hearing from original Atari Jaguar developers, it really brings me back to the excitement of the Jaguar's hayday. :)

Edited by ovalbugmann

Trying to keep up with the questions. ;)

Anyway, I still do remember some of the technical details so if you have some questions don't hesitate, maybe my experience can help some new Jaguar developper ;)...

Hey Mr. Nallet, thank you so much for that incredibly interesting piece of history. We all love to hear about that stuff. We are, in fact, fanatical!

I had a couple questions for you, actually... ok, three :)

1. Was there any build (albeit unstable) that included the buggy network feature that has somehow survived all these years?

2. What happened with Shen Technologies?

3. The game you worked on after SBO, which you say was called "Nexus" sounds pretty cool. Is there anything you can tell us about it? I'm assuming it was to be for the Jaguar? How far along were you guys able to get on it before Atari said "bye bye?" Does Nexus exist today in the form of either early builds or ports to other platforms?

Sorry about that last multiple question -- I got excited and went crazy :D

Any information you could give us would be quite appreciated!

josh