IGNORED

Shipping is OUT OF CONTROL

StanJr

i've had 5 packages lost by media mail in the last 18 months!! will never use media mail again!!  never had a PM package lost!!!

Yeah, "Priority Mail" means that the USPS will actually try to, you know, make sure the package gets delivered 'n' stuff.

I saw a TV report a couple weeks ago on whether the Priority Mail charges were actually worth it, since sometimes regular mail gets there just as fast. My thought was, "yeah... if it gets there at all."

Once I had a bill payment take five days just to get across the Atlanta metro area!

Priority Mail is the way to go. You shouldn't have to pay that much, but I'm just being pragmatic. If that's what it takes to get something someplace quickly and reliably, then that's what I'll use.

Room 34 wrote:

I e-mailed one of them, and she responded that she has to pay the people she sends out to the post office to ship this stuff, so that gets added as a handling charge. (Suspend for the moment the natural argument about someone selling enough on eBay that they hire someone to take the stuff to the post office.) It's a reasonable argument, if the seller clearly states two things:

That's pretty funny. I can't believe someone would actually say this. What a load of bull^%$&. I'm sorry, there is bull, and then there is BULL. And that's BULL. If someone ever tried that with me I'd give them a negative on the spot without even trying to work it out. She probably tells people she has a whole team of workers that help run her auctions. Let's see, Taper, Box holder (To hold the box while the taper tapes the box), Tape cutter, Box folder, Auction poster, Deliver to Post office, Labeler, etc.... , while she "Coordinates" everything. What a joke.

Allan

Shipping can definitely be a touchy subject. Gary developed a special form that goes to the UPS Web site and we base shipping on the approximate weight of the actual items we will be sending. Since we are sending a lot of packages, we really prefer to go with Priority Mail. The Post Office is nice enough to send us boxes whenever we want them, and then we cover the inside packing materials. If someone wishes for us to send them a package via Parcel Post, we do charge extra because we have to go find a new box, find different tape, etc. Not just is it more expensive for us, but it is more time consuming.

If sellers are honest with their rates, I don't have any problem with it. Even if it only costs $1.00 but I was told that it would take $4.00 to ship, I'm okay with that.

Yeah, but the GOAT STORE is a legit business (I hope). We are talking about Joe Shmo selling stuff on ebay, here. If I buy something from a business, I expect to pay a certain rate for the shipping. But if win an auction from Joe Shmo, I expect to be dealt fairly with, and thus far that has RARELY happened. Funny thing is, when I trade with people here at Atariage, I NEVER get jipped on the shipping, its always honest and straightforward. :ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

As for you, AL. That is correct. I will never charge anyone ANY shipping costs to send them one or two loose carts. (I don't sell anything on ebay so that point is moot, but I'd probably hold the same standard there as well). I have once or twice in the past asked for shipping in a trade and even then I felt like a weasel. I would NEVER EVER ask for shipping on something I give away (and I usually give away more than I trade or sell! :) )

Most people out there are going "Stan is one big freakin' idiot." But I look at it this way. I'M the one looking to unload the item, people don't HAVE to buy it. I'm just glad someone will be able to enjoy it and I can get it out of my house. Its worth a couple of bucks to do upstanding business with someone. I just can't see someone paying $3 to have Pac-man or Combat shipped to their house.

I can certainly see where shipping a RARE game would require greater care and consideration. I've not had that problem yet, but I still don't see charging ANYTHING other than ACTUAL shipping costs for the item, if any charges at all.

Big dumb Stan :dunce: :spidey:

I just can't see someone paying $3 to have Pac-man or Combat shipped to their house.

Well, if you watch eBay for a while, you'll see that that never really happens... No one bids on those stupid auctions!

My favorite is the one I have seen more times than I can believe... it's "3 RARE Atari 2600 cartridges!!!!!!" or something to that effect.

The 3 are E.T., Pac-Man, and Combat.

Sheesh! :roll:

One time I had a winning bid on an auction where the only games in the auction were Combat and Pac-Man. But that's only because they were both complete-in-box. Oh yeah, and there was a 2600 Darth Vader console in there too! :wink:

Allan, let me enlighten you. There are those of us out there who are part of a business. Let me give you my personal example. I work for my friend. He owns 3 comic book stores. He pays me $1.00 for each auction I write up and take a picture or scan. So my time he is paying is for me to photograph the item being auctioned, and write the description, upload it from Mr. Lister, and then review and approve the auctions I just typed.

I can usually get 100 auctions up in about 10 hours time from picture taking to the physical being of on the internet.

He then pays someone an hourly rate to PACK up each of these ended auctions. He handles the money, he prints out the receipts with his Airborne account, and gives them to the packer. The packer must locate the item, then of course pack it so it doesn't get damaged, and of course stick the labels on. For instances of international and P.O. boxes, the packer must write out the person's address on a label and stick it on the box.

Now we get down to the shipping. Shipping charge is a standard $5.40. For heavier packages or larger ones that cost more, he increases the price, but anything from an action figure to a comic book will have a $5.40 shipping charge if you are in the US. This charge covers shipping, and he gets usually at least $1.00 extra over the cost of postage. That goes to me, the packer, the tape, the markers, labels, and any other expense he may have, besides his phone, lights, alarm, insurance, and of course the rent.

Now you may say he's a business, but maybe this woman has her own business. You don't need a storefront to be a business. I consider myself a business and somewhere down the road if things get too hard for me to handle alone or with my fiancee, I may be forced to hire some kid to do the same thing.

As for losing money going to the post office, you can print out your postage online with the USPS website and a credit card, stick it on your box, and have the USPS come to your door and pick up your package. You driving to the PO and standing on line is your option, since you do have this alternative.

Ok, covering another reply, media mail is insurable and trackable. So losing 5 packages is your fault besides the USPS. Pay the 55 cents to track the package or the $1.30 to insure it. Hell, just insure it, though it takes a little longer to get your money and is harder to locate. If you're a seller, make it mandatory in your shipping costs.

This is what I do. A media package will usually cost about $2.00. Throw in the 55 cents for tracking. So just charge $2.75 postage. Some packages you'll gain about 20 cents, some you'll lose, but overall it should even out. Again, offer the $1.30 insurance option. If for some reason I actually put a shipping price of like $6.00 and it is going to cost me more, I send it media mail. Now it looks like I'll make like $2.50 on the deal, and I would normally. But the person didn't pay extra for insurance, but technically they did so I insure it. I also will track the package so now I make about a buck or so. Media may take longer, but so what? Are you that desperate for your package to arrive. Then pay like $15.00 for overnight.

Sorry if I'm starting to sound angry. Painkillers are kicking in. Just saying that you should think before you speak because you don't always know what you are talking about.

Phil

As a seller, I use Priority Mail for small items. It's fast and reliable, but it ain't cheap no more! You can also print your priority labels from a free tool you can get from the USPS and get FREE ELECTRONIC delivery confirmation (not to mention a very professional looking label too). Sometime I'll offer a choice between priority and first class if the item is really inexpensive. Properly packing an item takes time and skill, and I figure another $1 or so is not too much to ask for my effort. And yes, while some supplies are free and or recycled, I still make sure that your item will arrive in perfect condition, at least it leaves me that way. I've never asked for $5 shipping and sent it for 83 cents, that's just wrong. I've even been known to refund additional shipping if I grossly overestimated the cost.

As a buyer, don't take it for granted that a shipping amount stated at $3.85 will be shipped Priority Mail, because it may not be. Always ask what your shipping cost and method will be, also ask if you can choose another method. Some sellers work with you, some don't.

As for you, AL.  That is correct.  I will never charge anyone ANY shipping costs to send them one or two loose carts.  (I don't sell anything on ebay so that point is moot, but I'd probably hold the same standard there as well).  

Ahh, well, with regards to trading and giving stuff away, I've never charged anyone shipping, that I can recall. I was just talking about eBay, not private sales or trading. I don't think you're crazy at all. At least not for this. :)

..Al

You can also print your priority labels from a free tool you can get from the USPS and get FREE ELECTRONIC delivery confirmation (not to mention a very professional looking label too).

Oooooooooo thanks for the heads up! I'm going to track this down (no pun intended). :)

..Al

Yes, I did forget the free delivery confirmation if you use the online service. I had a problem with my printer though. If the PO can't read your UPC scan, then you can't use the service. So if you plan on shipping from your house, make sure your printer prints clear labels for them to scan. And of course you can pocket the 45 cents for your printer ink and paper.

Phil

Yes, I did forget the free delivery confirmation if you use the online service. I had a problem with my printer though. If the PO can't read your UPC scan, then you can't use the service. So if you plan on shipping from your house, make sure your printer prints clear labels for them to scan. And of course you can pocket the 45 cents for your printer ink and paper.

So the shipping lables are just printed on normal, white paper and then you affix them to the package using tape? This is what I often do anyway, so having a program to generate nice USPS Priority Mail labels with the delivery confirmation barcode will be nice. I don't think I'd charge the bidder for this service, though, if it's not costing me anything.

..Al

Go here to get the USPS Shipping Assistant. It's a free download:

http://www.uspswebtools.com/ShippingAssist...t/SA_splash.htm

It prints labels with the barcode, and it can also standardize the postal address and include the zip+4 too. It prints it as an Adobe Acrobat document, which you just print out and tape to your package. I use clear tape and I make sure to get it pretty smooth. Keep in mind that the post office IS NOT SUPPOSED to scan this barcode when you mail the package. The idea is that when you submit the info and print the label, it is ALREADY in their system. It ONLY is supposed to get scanned upon delivery. I also find that many of the postal clerks have never seen this option, so make sure they DO NOT SCAN or CHARGE you for this service, you only pay the normal postage fees.

I think you have to register (free) for an ID and PW.

Philflound,

You make a good point. Sorry if I sounded hostile but I guess the problem I have is that when you say for example "$3.95 for shipping and handling" (or worse you just say "shipping") this kind of implies that you are sending it Priority Mail (unless of course the shipping method is stated) since Priority Mail is about this price. This is of course is my own opinion but if you need to pay other people for helping with the auctions (which is fine by me) you should incorporate that into the price of the auction (start it higher than $1). That's what I do. If you are going to incorporate this into your shipping and handling charge, to me, it is only common curtisy to let people know in the auction listing how much handling will be. Unlike shipping, this is going to be the same no matter who bids on the item. If I saw an auction and it said $5 just for handling for, say a $10 item, I probably would not bid on it. Telling people after they have won the auction that there is a handling charge (especially when it's like $5) is decieving whether the seller was trying to be or not. As I said before, I buy and sell on eBay so I can understand both sides. (although I don't sell as a business). I guess my point is always make clear to the potential bidder of ALL charges and don't lump them into one sum and cause confusion to what money goes where. Yes, and ultimately it is 'Buyer beware' and it is true that if you don't like it, don't bid.

About what Room 34 said about Prioity Mail, I talked to a Postal worker who told me that in New England all Priority Mail first goes to one place in Massachusettes which then is sent out to where it's suppose to go. If your shipping out of New England it will most likely get there faster than cheaper methods but if your shipping in New England it actuallly takes longer than Ground. The US Post office tells it's workers to push Priority Mail because they make a lot on it but depending on your area, it may actually take longer. This is problably true for other areas as well. Beware!

Allan

What is this crap of $5 shipping for ONE LOOSE atari cart?  It costs 85 cents to ship a lone loose cart, I know I do it all the time.  What a rip.  I see some really cool stuff sometimes, but I don't want to pay more in shipping than I do for the item  (like that Shark Attack I won for like $3 and the shipping was $3.50) so I don't bid.

Some sellers are out of control.  Why not just be honest about it?  Is it really worth a couple of dollars to lie about shipping costs?

What a rip.

:x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x

It costs about 50 cents for a bubble envelope for one cart and it costs 80 cents for the first class postage. If you factor in the small amount of gas from driving to the post office it is reasonable for it to cost $1.50 to $2 for one loose cart. I agree $3.5 is too much for one cart as I don't really care about getting priority for one cart unless it is super rare and I am paying $50 to $100.

But see, I think the SELLER should absorb some if not all boxing costs.  I use boxes I have here at the house, or I buy them at the PO at my own cost.    I don't ASK or expect people to ship it in a $4 box and rarely do they (usually I pay my $3 and they still ship it in a plain yellow envelope.)  

The average I spend to ship a LONE LOOSE cart is $2.  I send them in high quality padded envelopes or a small box I find here at the house.  I'd feel weasely asking for $2 to ship an item.  Unless its something BIG I usually absorb the shipping cost myself as part of the price of doing business and as a courtesy to the person buying my stuff (or as in most cases getting my stuff for free)

Maybe this is just me, or does EVERYONE love to pay outrageous shipping costs on a $3 item?

YOu'd feel "weasely" asking the buyer to pay for the full shipping cost?? LOL ARe you serious about this? I can see thinking like this if you are selling to one of your friends here on the boards but are you talking about selling on ebay?

I have absorbed shipping costs when I have sold on ebay though. There were times when I underestimated and I didn't go back and ask for more money. There was also a time when I agreed to split the shipping cost on a heavier item I sold. But I would never sell an item and give a shipping cost in the item description that is less than what it is going to cost me.

Room 34 wrote:

I e-mailed one of them, and she responded that she has to pay the people she sends out to the post office to ship this stuff, so that gets added as a handling charge. (Suspend for the moment the natural argument about someone selling enough on eBay that they hire someone to take the stuff to the post office.) It's a reasonable argument, if the seller clearly states two things:

That's pretty funny. I can't believe someone would actually say this. What a load of bull^%$&. I'm sorry, there is bull, and then there is BULL. And that's BULL. If someone ever tried that with me I'd give them a negative on the spot without even trying to work it out. She probably tells people she has a whole team of workers that help run her auctions. Let's see, Taper, Box holder (To hold the box while the taper tapes the box), Tape cutter, Box folder, Auction poster, Deliver to Post office, Labeler, etc.... , while she "Coordinates" everything. What a joke.

Allan

THere are small businesses that sell a lot on ebay and some people who sell enough to require maybe one or two. This is believable. Look for the people with 10,000 to 30,000 feedbacks in just a few years.

Phil

IN order to ship from your computer and house y ou need a scale to weight your items.

I personally shall NEVER charge anyone shipping for a single loose cart cause I think that's kinda silly.  Larger items probably, but the small stuff I can certainly swing.

Do you mean that you won't charge people more than it costs to ship, or that you won't charge *anything at all* when shipping someone a single cart they have won from you on eBay? I don't think anyone has a problem with paying the actual shipping costs, it only becomes a problem when shippers overcharge you (sometimes considerably) for shipping, lining their pockets with the difference. No one is going to expect you to ship them their eBay winnings for free!

The larger problem is that every year it's costing more and more (especially through the USPS) to ship merchandise, making it less attractive to purchase inexpensive items on eBay. The solution is to use

cheaper shipping methods (parcel/media mail), alternate carriers (UPS, FedEx, etc.), or just not buy items where the shipping ends up costing more than the individual item. This is one reason I like buying large lots of items, at least then the shipping per item is considerably less than if I bought them all individually.

..Al

I think if you go and compare rates for differing weights you will see that the USPS is almost always less than other methods. I don't understand the people on ebay who say they ship fed ex or UPS because it's less. I don't have any problem if that's the method they want to use but it's generally not true that it costs less.

YOu'd feel "weasely" asking the buyer to pay for the full shipping cost??  LOL         ARe you serious about this?   I can see thinking like this if you are selling to one of your friends here on the boards but are you talking about selling on ebay?      

yeah, mainly cause its 2 measley dollars. Now if I sold a larger item that would require serious shipping over and above $5, then I might ask for some or all of the shipping, but for $2, I can handle it, if it means doing fair, honest business.

I'm an idiot I suppose. ;) :)

THe item i split shipping on cost about $25 to ship. I agreed so I could sell the item.

The buyers of loose carts appreciated the fact that I charged actual cost when i was selling loose carts. $1.30 for the first cart. Actually I charged $1.25 but it cost $1.30. I sold about 20 to 30 carts.

Everyone else on ebay charges $2 to $4 which is fine. I avoid auctions if i don't want to pay what they want. Another one will come up for a better rate in a few days anyway.

What is this crap of $5 shipping for ONE LOOSE atari cart?  It costs 85 cents to ship a lone loose cart, I know I do it all the time.  What a rip.  I see some really cool stuff sometimes, but I don't want to pay more in shipping than I do for the item  (like that Shark Attack I won for like $3 and the shipping was $3.50) so I don't bid.

Some sellers are out of control.  Why not just be honest about it?  Is it really worth a couple of dollars to lie about shipping costs?

What a rip.

:x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x

I am an ebay seller, and I sell many Jaguar Games, in fact, I charge $5 flat rate for shipping to any location in the US, this is for Priority Mail, w/ Delivery Confirmation, and INSURANCE! (MY COST TO SHIP: 3.85+.50+1.20= $5.75!) I actually loose money on the shipping, that's fine with me, but I find it rather harsh that you seem to generalize all sellers as ripping you off in the shipping column. I'm not one of these sellers. I have a standard shipping practice that I use, and if so requested, I'll mail your item first class for $.85, and I'll only charge you $.85, but don't come yelling at me when 6 weeks from now your still looking for your package...I could find it for you, but you declined the confirmation, and also the insurance, so I guess you're out the additional price you paid for the item, as I wouldn't be responsible because I purchased proof of mailing at the PO for $.75 Hmmm, so where does that leave us? Yes, your absolutely correct, Some sellers do fluff their shipping prices, in order to pad there fees which are incurred, however, as a responsible bidder, you should find out exactly what you're getting for your money.

"M"

munkyxtc@hotmail.com

My latest Jag Auctions:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?...&sort=3&rows=25

I apologize, I thought I had been specific when I said people who charge me $4 for a $1 game were ripping me off. For the record, EVERY Ebay item I have ever "won" has arrived here safely (and a MAJORITY of them have been shipped 85 cent, non-insured or confirmed or otherwise, and yet I still paid at least $3, usually, some people were more reasonable).

My big gripe is simply buying a LONE LOOSE cart on Ebay and then ending up paying more to get it to my house than I did for the cart.

And again, I will NOT bid on any auction whose shipping is more than I wish to pay.

I understand the seller mentality, I just don't subscribe all tenants of it. And again, I am an idiot.

• 3 weeks later...

Stan,

I watched this post grow into a monster. I originally decided not

to stick in my 2 cents, but I think that I must. I hope I'm wrong but

I took the "Out of Control" as the swipe at my Out of Control cart I

have up on eBay now. Yes, I am asking $5 for postage and it will

cost me more than that. Priority mail is $3.85, Tracking another .45

and insurance $1.30, Total $5.60. I refuse to send an Out of Control

cartridge in a puffy envelope by first class. Somebody is going to pay

"real" good money to get that cartridge and I plan to see them get it.

Also I recently sold a couple of eproms with $5 shipping on them. I

will tell you what happened there. The same bidder won both of them

and I billed him the $5 for both of them. I sent them via Express Mail

at a cost of 17.85. So it cost me 7.85 to insure delivery of what I

consider "highly insurable merchandise". I am currently selling lots of

historic videogame paperwork and am charging $1.50 for postage. I

am sending everything with heavy pieces to keep them from being

bent "if at all possible".

Yes there are sellers who cheat the public, but remember it is the bidder

who is bidding on this with the knowledge of the postage. Now if you were

to say you bid on a cartridge and the seller had no postage listed and that

when you won he billed you $5 to ship, I would agree with you slightly.

But it is the duty of the bidder to know what it will cost him when he bids.

Enough said.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?...&sort=3&rows=25

Anthony