IGNORED

Funny, but mean idea.

SINGLE TOOTH

I thought of a cruel and funny joke to pull.

OK, here's how it goes. Take a few repro Air Raid, Chase the Chuckwagons, Tooth Protectors, or what-have-yous, and donate them to a thrift store. Put a little identification mark on the label, and see what happens.

It would be funny to see someone get exited about finding these rare games at a thrift, but not too funny if someone actually bought them from the guy for a profit and loose money.....

I would never do it, but its fun to think about.

OK, here's how it goes. Take a few repro Air Raid, Chase the Chuckwagons, Tooth Protectors, or what-have-yous, and donate them to a thrift store. Put a little identification mark on the label, and see what happens.

It would be funny to see someone get exited about finding these rare games at a thrift, but not too funny if someone actually bought them from the guy for a profit and loose money.....

You don't get out much do you? :P

It would never hit the actual floor. The manager or one of the employees would snatch it up and ebay it that same day. That's why you never find anything good in thrifts anymore. Used to, before ebay, I could go in and find literal garbage bags full of carts (once, literally, I found 50 or so carts in a garbage bag, and they gave me a price on the whole thing).

It would never hit the actual floor. The manager or one of the employees would snatch it up and ebay it that same day. That's why you never find anything good in thrifts anymore. Used to, before ebay, I could go in and find literal garbage bags full of carts (once, literally, I found 50 or so carts in a garbage bag, and they gave me a price on the whole thing).

You're right, it is harder to find stuff at Thrifts. I knew some friends who worked at goodwill who would ebay stuff. And give me Gamecube and Atari stuff. That is, until this one chick (who was also an Atari fan) got a job at goodwill and hoarded all the atari stuff to herself... :( She became my rival after that. Later on, I went over to her house and played Beat 'em and Eat 'em :)

Anyway, there is still a chance the carts may slip in unnoticed. Pack them in with a box of Pac-mans and combats for camouflage.

Or, I could just walk in the store, put a tag on them (wouldn't really have to) , and leave them on the shelf.

Edited by SINGLE TOOTH

You're right, it is harder to find stuff at Thrifts. I knew some friends who worked at goodwill who would ebay stuff. And give me Gamecube and Atari stuff. That is, until this one chick (who was also an Atari fan) got a job at goodwill and hoarded all the atari stuff to herself...

Both are against Goodwill's policies.

First, an employee can not buy anything for themselves until it's been on the floor for a minimum of 24 hours first. Not that anyone actually follows this. I used to work for goodwill years ago. Yes, employees buy the best stuff for themselves first.

Second, since employees get a 10% discount, they are not allowed to sell anything they buy because Goodwill honestly considers that theft of their profit. Punishment if caught is immediate termination. Not exactly sure how they proposed to find people doing it.

Yeah, both are bullshit policies. Those policies don't mean shit when the one in charge is corrupt.

The girl, though, they tightened management by then, and she had to buy the items fair and square. But, she didn't have to let them sit on the floor.

It would never hit the actual floor. The manager or one of the employees would snatch it up and ebay it that same day.

That has happened to me, but slightly diff circumstances. this second hand store had some star trek books i wanted, and i kinda let it slip i was an atari collector and so the store guy offered me a trade. the books for a CX-40. IT DOES HAPPEN PEOPLE!

It would never hit the actual floor. The manager or one of the employees would snatch it up and ebay it that same day.

That has happened to me, but slightly diff circumstances. this second hand store had some star trek books i wanted, and i kinda let it slip i was an atari collector and so the store guy offered me a trade. the books for a CX-40. IT DOES HAPPEN PEOPLE!

Goodwill may have that policy, but your average thrift store doesn't. I've gone to the local Goodwill hundreds of times, and I've found games, even way back before the retro boom, maybe 3 of those times, and they've all been stuff like busted Sega CD and Saturn stuff. Never any old carts or anything. Thrifts on the other hand, I used to be able to find craploads of good stuff there at any given time, from working complete systems to level 5-6 rares for a buck each.

I agree with Pressure Cooker on this one seeing i have found only 2 5200 games in my thrift store travels. :(

that sucks jboy :(

i have found probably eight or nine 5200 games in the last three or four months where i live. i always snatch them up when i see them even though i don't currently have a 5200....one day i will

Only Single Tooth would smoke an opium so powerful as to come up with this mean trick! :ponder:

WP

It's been done. I don't remember where I read it--2600 Connection or here maybe?--but there was a case in the Northwest where someone faked a "damaged" Pittfall III test cart, all the way down to fake acti-plaque on the sticker, and left it in a thrift store, knowing that a rival collector he hated would find it. I don't remember how it resolved but it was damn funny.

It's been done. I don't remember where I read it--2600 Connection or here maybe?--but there was a case in the Northwest where someone faked a "damaged" Pittfall III test cart, all the way down to fake acti-plaque on the sticker, and left it in a thrift store, knowing that a rival collector he hated would find it. I don't remember how it resolved but it was damn funny.

Heh Heh. Always good to thwart the enemy.

It sort-of happened to me once.

I think it was an eBay lot I bought back when I first started eBaying. One of the cartridges had an Imagic shell and no label, just a piece of tape that someone had written "A Team" on. There was no mention of this in the auction, and frankly I didn't believe it was my lucky day (I knew The A*Team was an Atari game, not Imagic). The cartridge wouldn't work at first, but after enough scrubbing of the contacts, I finally got the game revived and discovered, to my complete lack of surprise, it was Demon Attack.

In my experience concerning thrifts, I have had zero luck with known thrift shop chains. I have no local Goodwill stores, just Salvation Army stores. To date I've found a single Intellivision cart... Football. I have no Intellivision, thus I left it sitting where I found it.

My best luck has been in locally-owned, mom 'n pop thrift stores. Down here, these people tend not to look at the Internet or search eBay. They also tend to be folks that generally everybody "knows", so they're not prone to rip you off either. I've managed to pick up some fairly decent deals from local thrift shops. A copy of "Earth Dies Screaming" for $1. A stack of 2600 and 7800 carts (about 30 or so) for just a little over $20. Unfortunately the place where I bought "EDS" closed, and the other shop doesn't have anymore 2600 or 7800 games (they were just some that the shop owner's older son had "laying around" and "didn't want them anymore.").

Of course, still the best place to find Atari stuff, at least in my experience? Word-of-mouth. People still have them in their basements or attics, without even remembering they actually have one until you mention it. And you never know when you'll bump into a fellow collector in the local area who will be willing to cut you a fair enough trade or deal. :D

??? I don't follow.

Man ,that would really suck!Thats a really cruel joke you thought of!But,i dont find tampering with merchandise in real life for ones selfish gain and someone elses loss funny at all.

Edited by Rik

It would never hit the actual floor. The manager or one of the employees would snatch it up and ebay it that same day. That's why you never find anything good in thrifts anymore.

Seems to me it's just as likely they get chucked in the trash as worthless, unsellable crap. I recall a pal who worked at St. Vincent's de Paul who told me exactly that for his particular store. They had a small box of carts out on the floor, but if it was already full (and it usually was - with Combats and Pac-Mans), the rest just got dumped. I doubt any employee of that store knew a rare cart from a common - as far as they could tell, Atari games simply never sold.

i could not have the heart to do that,

All the thrift stores in town have my name and number

:)

im usually a regular so basically they get a game in like atari they keep it for me to check over first,

if i don't want then they sell on floor.

only place I dont have control over

is Value Village,

And ONE pawn shop