IGNORED

King of Kong Movie

Dolt

I saw it Friday and really rather liked it--it's short (71 min) but that's the right length, as it felt longer. I don't mean that in a bad way, it just felt like 90 min, and I'd had my fill by that time. I went in with a few qualms--I like video games (duh) but I didn't want to spend $11 just to watch some guy's game, but luckily, it's nothing like that. It's a good, fast moving story with lots of interesting people. I don't see how they're going to turn this into a fictional movie--if they had actors recite the stuff people say in this flick and act like the real people, no one would believe any of it. Truth is stranger than fiction. And yes, you can take your wife/girlfriend to it and they won't be bored to death (that said, I couldn't drag my other half into the theater so I saw it alone).

I went into it having no idea who Billy Mitchell was. People are saying he's the 'bad guy' of the movie, but I didn't really see it that way. He's clearly one of those Type A guys who's used to winning, has a bit of vanity to himself (and don't we all), and maybe has listened to a few too many Tony Robbins-type tapes. None of that's a crime. He does some nice things in the movie like hooking up an old lady with a Q*Bert machine so she can go after the world record. The flick makes a big deal of him not showing up for various contests, but what they never really say--or even imply--is the obvious: After holding the record for 25 years, Mitchell probably wasn't even close to being 'in fighting shape' to play, surprise (and yes, very questionable) video in the middle of the movie or not. I think Mitchell's only real fault in the flick was that he handled a few things pretty poorly without thinking them all the way through first about how it would look to the outside world, but I'm sure it's a different vantage point when you're in the thick of things.

All that said, there's one thing that's really disappointing about this. If I check out video games online, I come here to the 2600 forum, so I'd never been to the Twin Galaxies website before. I went to the TG website for the first time then this weekend, and there is NO MENTION of this movie at all. It's like it doesn't exist. I did a search and there's nothing on the site anywhere. Meanwhile, Mitchell is all over the front page of the site in a variety of places, most noticeably with a new Donkey Kong record that defeats Weibe's, the subtext being that it makes the entire movie out-of-date--although like I said, no mention of the movie.

I bought the big TG book in the late 90s and loved it, spent hours reading the TG history and going through scores, so I was disappointed that they came off looking like Mitchell's stooges for the first half of the movie until Weibe proves himself to them. They clearly see the error of their ways and by the end of the movie, come off as the guys that they came off as in the book--idiosyncratic but good people. But then when I went to the TG website today to find there' no mention of the movie, that Mitchell is all over the front page of the site, and that half an article about Weibe's record breaking score earlier this year is about how they verified his machine was on the up-and-up and did all kinds of things to determine that there was no hanky-panky--yet there's no talk of verifying the machine Mitchell used. I really found the screaming double-standard and sucking up to MItchell to be a bit much.

And that's really disappointing because it really undermines them, I think. If you don't like how you're portrayed in the movie (and the 'wishing it away' lack of mentioning it would seem to imply that), then freakin' address it head on. Put up a page just about the movie and your issues with it. Don't just pretend it never happened--AND fawn all over the 'bad guy.' By the end of the movie, they don't look like stooges anymore, so why go and reinforce that negative image then? Zeesh.

Anyway, good movie--worth seeing if it plays your neighborhood; if it doesn't, put it on your Netflix list, because I wouldn't buy it, but it's definitely worth the rental (and that's a lot cheaper than the $11 I had to pay at Times Square to see it!).

I was hoping to see it in the Toronto area, but this one doesn't seem to have a Canadian release (If I'm wrong please correct me :cool: ) I did see this rather odd video snippet on the Rotten Tomatoes site, It's different from the other two trailers floating around. Check it out:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/king_of_ko...erType=playlist

I want to see this movie but i just dont think anywhere near me is going to show it so i will wait for it on DVD.

Here's a link from the official site that shows the screening locations. I don't know if this is a complete list though

http://billyvssteve.com/tickets/

I'm hoping that a web release or something for this happens since it seems like the distribution is somewhat limited

Edited by Technosis

I was hoping to see it in the Toronto area, but this one doesn't seem to have a Canadian release (If I'm wrong please correct me :cool: ) I did see this rather odd video snippet on the Rotten Tomatoes site, It's different from the other two trailers floating around. Check it out:

I did a detailed search at toronto.com looking for this and it's nowhere. Looks like us Ontarians are waiting for the DVD release.

Although, perhaps for the Toronto Film Festival next month?

It's currently playing nearby in Mpls where I dont set foot nowadays anyway, plus it's at the Lagoon, which only shows arthouse & indie films.

I'll wait for the video/DVD/pay-per-view release.

I doubt my wife would like it either- she barely made it through the Simpsons Movie. (Only b/c I sat through 2 of "her" movies.)

Edited by RJ

It's supposed to be playing in Ann Arbor sometime in the future, I may go see it there (I remember seeing Cowboy Bebop the movie at that theater). I vaguely remember when all this happened, but since I'm not really into the coin-op scene I didn't pay much attention. It's interesting that now that the classic gaming community has grown so large that we're seeing specialized films about it.

Tempest

...plus it's at the Lagoon, which only shows arthouse & indie films....

What's wrong with that?

I was just there to see it tonight. I enjoyed it immensely, and so did my wife (who is NOT into video games, aside from an occasional Galaga or Ms. Pac-Man). I highly recommend it for gamers and non-gamers alike.

Well, as I said, I dont visit/hang out in Mpls anymore. It's safer where I am, & I dont prefer arthouse/indie films or theaters.

Last time I was there was when GnR came through town this past winter.

Edited by RJ

Other than bridges collapsing I don't really know what's so dangerous. I've never felt unsafe in Uptown. (I suppose maybe people with purple hair and body piercings are naturally scary to some people.)

As far as art house theaters go... that argument just really makes no sense to me. Other than the kinds of movies it shows and the fact that there are only 5 screens instead of 30, I think you'd be hard pressed if dropped into the Lagoon to distinguish it from a suburban multiplex.

But... to each their own. More seats for me.

SPOILER

It's probably not much of a spoiler, if you've read anything about the movie, that Steve Wiebe ultimately ends up victorious (at the VERY end). So it was a little disappointing (as the rooter-for-the-underdog that I am) when I checked Twin Galaxies last night to see that Billy Mitchell (arch-villain, at least as presented in the movie) reclaimed the top spot as of June, 3 months after Steve Wiebe set his record.

Let's just say I prefer the suburbs. I dont see a lot of murders/street crimes reported in my neck of the woods, plus it's quiet around here. I visited Uptown a long time back w/ some co-workers from there & it was another world to me.

& I find purple hair & body piercings amusing, not scary.

I didnt/dont mean to get into this w/ you, it's not my kind of area & I'll leave it at that.

Edited by RJ

This movie is a perfect example of why I enjoy documentaries so much.

It doesn't matter how obscure of a topic the film documents, it really isn't about that. It's about the people, the everyday cast, and how they are connected (through the topic) that makes the movie really interesting and approachable to a larger audience.

King of Kong does this magnificently. I personally think that the average female would enjoy this movie just as much as anyone else; my wife did and she couldn't care any less about Donkey Kong. In fact, if the movie was just about guys playing video games, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even have bothered to watch it...

+ Nathan

On a side note (I apologize, but I just can't help myself): The amount of deaths due to traffic accidents in this country is much, much higher that of deaths due to homicide. And where might the majority of traffic accidents happen?...

Well ColecoNation's the one who made the last comment but I just feel like I have to get my last piece in on this and then I can let it rest.

The fact is, I live in the city (Minneapolis). My neighborhood is very safe and has very much of a "small town" feel. It's a great place to be, with easy walking access to just about everything I need. If the city's not for you, fine. But I feel like you're spitting on the place where I live, based on paranoia and/or misinformation, and I'm put off by that.

I watched this movie 4 times from begining to end.

It is now in my top favorite movies of all time, even though it is a documentary.

Steve Wiebe is my new hero! :)

gr8 movie fer sure!!!!!

i found this link on the movie message board that shows sum of the other "gamers" mentioned in the movie like Zotmeister and others

check the links out in the thread

http://forum.picturehouse.com/phpBB2/viewt...6647d1c24829e2d

• 2 weeks later...

It came to a suburban theater (Eagan) so I saw it last Fri (my bday) w/ my wife- good movie, I think she liked it better than I did! Tix were $9.25 ea. but I think we got our money's worth.

Going to see it tomorrow w/ a buddy. As a gamer I'm sure he'll like it too.

Edited by RJ