IGNORED

PS3 Controller Repair

Tempest

Yesterday I heard a little piece of plastic rattling around inside my PS3 controller so I decided to open it up and remove it (lord knows how it broke off, but since it was an internal piece it really didn't matter). Unfortunately when I was putting it back together the whole left shoulder button assembly popped out on me, and after 2 hours of trying to put it back together, I've admitted defeat.

Is there anyone here who can fix it? I'd hate to throw it out because it works just fine, but I can't get the damn assembly back together. I'm sure it's an easy fix for someone who knows how to do it.

Tempest

On the Dual Shock series, the shoulder buttons sensor pads are held in by a sort of plastic frame. You gotta get L2 and R2 in before assembling the controller, whereas L1 and R1 can be pushed into the assembled casing. You have to get the pads onto the frame and push it down into the bottom half of the controller to get it assembled right. Yes, it is a complete bugger to do correctly. I regret opening a Dual Shock 2. I tell ya, more parts came outta that thing than I could even count. I dunno where they even fit 'em all in there!

I know the Sixaxis is going to be built different, but maybe that'll shed some light on how it's supposed to go back together.

EDIT: Everything I've seen from the DAP up goes together kinda like that. The DAP is way different from the DUal shock series, and even the Dual Shocks differ from revision to revision.

Edited by shadow460

You have to get the pads onto the frame and push it down into the bottom half of the controller to get it assembled right.

Yeah this is the part I'm having trouble with. Maybe if I had some pictures... The PS3 controller's bottom shoulder buttons are different than the PS2's. They sort of press down and under rather than just pressing in.

Tempest

Dude that sucks, been there before where I've taken something apart and then regretted it later when I tried to get it back together.

If nothing else, because of this thread now I've learned never open a PS3 controller friviously!!

You have to get the pads onto the frame and push it down into the bottom half of the controller to get it assembled right.

Yeah this is the part I'm having trouble with. Maybe if I had some pictures... The PS3 controller's bottom shoulder buttons are different than the PS2's. They sort of press down and under rather than just pressing in.

Tempest

So does it have a pad or some other type of sensor? I haven't messed with a Sixaxis much at all. I'd think that you might be able to use a bit of double stick tape to hold the pad on the frame while you get it all in place.

After screwing around with the controller for a few hours I now know how it is supposed to go back together. The problem is that there is no humanly possible way to do it. The main issue is that there doesn't appear to be a way to keep the little flex circuit piece from sliding out from between the plastic pad and the hard plastic frame piece when you try to put the button assembly back together. Ideally the little nub on the plastic pad should go through both the flex circuit and the hard plastic frame and hold it together, but in reality when you try this it just comes apart the second you try and force everything back into place. I've pretty much given up all hope of getting this thing back together again.

Tempest

That sucks.

Sometimes Amazon sellers have pretty good deals on new controllers. I got one (PS3 wireless) a few weeks back for $27.95 + $3.99 shipping.

It was through moviesetc2007 and I had no trouble with the transaction.

• 2 years later...

After screwing around with the controller for a few hours I now know how it is supposed to go back together. The problem is that there is no humanly possible way to do it. The main issue is that there doesn't appear to be a way to keep the little flex circuit piece from sliding out from between the plastic pad and the hard plastic frame piece when you try to put the button assembly back together. Ideally the little nub on the plastic pad should go through both the flex circuit and the hard plastic frame and hold it together, but in reality when you try this it just comes apart the second you try and force everything back into place. I've pretty much given up all hope of getting this thing back together again.

Tempest

It helps to remove the L2/R2 button- pull it straight off the frame that it pivots on and keep the pin/spring in the button. The flexible circuit flap slides into one side of the frame that the L2/R2 button pivots from. The circuit flap pretty much snaps in and stays if you don't pull on it too hard. Place the rubber piece back over the circuit flap and pop the L2/R2 button back in. Place the L2/R2 button/frame/circuit flap assembly into its designated slot, then slide in the L1/R1 button, then slide in the piece that goes in between the 1 and 2 buttons. Put the controller's back cover back on and screw that mother together.

You can get them back together again but it does take forever.

I had a similar problem with my shoulder button, but the right one in my case. Now my shoulder button still works but it's permenantly loose and sometimes contacts when it shouldn't. Blasted thing.