IGNORED

Development for Atari 7800 using an emulator

cas

Hi,

I've got a request about porting the volksForth system to the Atari 7800 System (see --> volksforth.sf.net ).

A Forth System would run well inside the 32kb RAM and would allow interactive development on the machine.

To start with I would do some tests with an A7800 emulator.

My question: is there an emulator that allows communication (like serial) between the A7800 System and the host environment?

Best regards

Carsten Strotmann

Edited by cas

Hi,

I've got a request about porting the volksForth system to the Atari 7800 System (see --> volksforth.sf.net ).

A Forth System would run well inside the 32kb RAM and would allow interactive development on the machine.

To start with I would do some tests with an A7800 emulator.

My question: is there an emulator that allows communication (like serial) between the A7800 System and the host environment?

Best regards

Carsten Strotmann

Hi Carsten,

unfortunately the 7800 has only 4k of RAM but of course it is possible to create a cartridge with a 32kb RAM chip.

I don’t think that the emulators supports more than 16kb RAM but not sure about that.

Serial communication isn’t possible with any of the emulators.

Hi Carsten,

unfortunately the 7800 has only 4k of RAM but of course it is possible to create a cartridge with a 32kb RAM chip.

I don’t think that the emulators supports more than 16kb RAM but not sure about that.

Serial communication isn’t possible with any of the emulators.

With 4K RAM it makes no sense to have a Forth development environment running on the A7800. Without IO support like Keyboard it also makes no sense. Cross-Development from Atari 8-bit to the A7800 is possible today.

Carsten

Hi Carsten

Tolle Sache.Hast du einen File zum Testen auf dem Emulator?

Gruss Walter

See post from Schmutzpuppe and my reply. With only 4KB of RAM in a standard A7800 an interactive Forth running on the A7800 makes no sense. It is however possible today to write A7800 programms on an Atari 8-bit (or other systems using a cross-compiler). However even with Forth and also other development systems and programming languages, you still will need to learn how the A7800 hardware works and how to create your own cartridges.

Carsten

Edited by cas