IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 11 *Galaxian*

Atari5200

From the most rare games to one of the most common games, we head to the stars with Galaxian.

Rules are the same as always, emulation is allowed, any controller is fine, default difficulty or higher.

So get blastin' competition will end 9-08-2007.

Final Update:

1. eegt97: 24890

2. phuzaxeman: 22070

3. cyberfluxor: 13900

4. Prodos8: 13000

5. BydoEmpire: 10840

6. RangerG: 9150

7. Mike5200: 5230

8. Artlover: 2980

Edited by Atari5200

From the most rare games to one of the most common games, we head to the stars with Galaxian.

Rules are the same as always, emulation is allowed, any controller is fine, default difficulty or higher.

Ouch. Sucky game to pick because of the control/controller. I found the cart unplayable thanks to the stick - even with a Wico. And emulation on the DC wasn't much better.

Wasn't there some weird "glitch?" where you didn't fire at the enemies on this game, and eventually the bad guys would start flying "super-fast"? I may not have that correct, though. For what it's worth, I don't think that helped you score any higher. I'll have to try this game out again to see if I can remember this strange phenomenon. If anyone else figures this out or knows what I'm talking about, post it!

UPDATE: I haven't tried Galaxian on my 5200 recently, but I think my previous comment wasn't correct. Instead, I think there was an "easy" level you could select on 5200 Galaxian. After playing a number of waves at that level, suddenly the bad guys would go crazy and fly super-fast! It looks like it's time to plug Galaxian into my 5200 for some further research.

Edited by lintwarp

Ouch. Sucky game to pick because of the control/controller. I found the cart unplayable thanks to the stick - even with a Wico. And emulation on the DC wasn't much better.

I may be thinking wrong, but have you tried to move the stick in all 4 directions real fast after starting the first wave? This should help, especially in emulation. This is one of those games that wants to *calibrate* to joystick at the start.

-Brian

cmon..lame excuse :-)

Works great with the Redemption :cool:

Works great with the Redemption :cool:

Works even better with the trackball.

Played a couple games this morning - 5030 is my best so far.

[Edit] - if you happen to be holding left or right on the keyboard during the "Player One" intro to each life, the controls get all screwed up. Weird.

Edited by BydoEmpire

my high so far is 22, 070 using a real 5200 and regular 5200 vintage sticks.

nothing against emulated scores but playing on a non atari system with non atari 5200 controller is going to be a little different. i don't want to deter anyone from playing on emulation but there's a difference and that's just my humble opinion...

This is why I sorta hate these HSC's, I suck.

Playing the default level of 0, the highest I've gotten is 2980. Even playing on "easy" where they don't fire back I only got to 12,600. :(

[Edit] - if you happen to be holding left or right on the keyboard during the "Player One" intro to each life, the controls get all screwed up. Weird.

Same on the xbox port. :|

This is why I sorta hate these HSC's, I suck.

:lol: I hear ya. For a guy who's been playing video games for most of my life...I'm not all that good either. I have a select few that I'm really good at, but most I'm quite average.

Yeah, I feel that if I win even one round, it will be great. You can't be good at every game (especially if you didn't have a 5200 when you grew up, like me, it was all Inty & 2600). What's so fun is that it gives me a reason to pull out games I never put much time into, and give them a real shot.

I would definitely prefer to play any game on the real hardware, but my 5200 collection is pretty small so I have to resort to emu for a bunch of games. Still, HSC is a good excuse to beef up my collection (and try before I buy).