IGNORED

Ultimate Indy 500 (0.8 released - Real Indy cars)

Fort Apocalypse

4 player paddle racing game (a little similar to Indy 500). 4k.

Works much better now! Playable, but still mostly testing the steering and driving as proof of concept, so if you have paddles let me know how it drives.

Michael designed the pit stop (now I just need to implement a need for it). Curtis did the 4 player colored lap counter. Thanks to Michael, Batari, Curtis, Lord Mike, and everyone else for the advice.

Notes:

* I don't have paddles, and playing it in Stella is difficult. I have a feeling the steering part still needs work. Maybe if you have paddles you tell me whether the steering is too rough and maybe even suggest what is wrong and how I could fix that.

* You can move the cars around in any of 16 directions using the paddle buttons as accelerators.

* The player icons are now tied to direction

* Has sound for all four engines

* Has lap count and working lap detection

* Has fuel gauges (lines to left and right of playfield). When fuel runs out, car is slower.

* Direction works better than previously

* Real Indy car sprites (thanks to batari)

See below for latest version (0.8 )

post-7602-1194095830_thumb.png

ultindy500_0.8.bas.bin

ultindy500_0.8.bas

Edited by Fort Apocalypse
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Version 0.1 finally released.

Notes:

* I don't have paddles, and playing it in Stella is difficult. I have a feeling the steering part still needs work. Maybe if you have paddles you tell me whether the steering is too rough and maybe even suggest how I could fix that.

* You can move the cars around in any of 16 directions using the paddle buttons as accelerators.

* The player icons are not tied to the direction yet (the car points west even if you are going north, etc.)

* Has limited collision support (with playfield and you can run over it just like the old indy 500, but can't go off of the boundaries). No car collisions yet.

* There are four cars, but you can only see two in the screenshot because of the flicker.

* Has sound for all four engines and collision sound.

* Has lap count, but lap detection is only partially completed and needs to be track specific.

ultindy500_0.1.basultindy500_0.1.bas.bin

It looks great so far, good first use of the 4 score mod. I think pushing Alt+P in Stella allows you to take screenshots without flicker.

Cool! Thanks! Just updated the screenshot. Please let me know what you think of the controls. Steering is really rough in Stella using a keyboard (I haven't tried fine tuning the paddle settings, maybe that would help). In Crimson Editor per suggestion I'm running Stella with the argument line: "-bc paddles $(FilePath).bin" which works great, at least for using paddles and paddle buttons.

0.2 released.

Notes:

* The player icons should be tied to direction now, but something is wrong with this currently

* Have added a ball at bottom for each player to indicate direction since it doesn't appear to correspond to the actual sprite direction.

If anyone can figure that out or any other bugs, it would be super helpful!

ultindy500_0.2.basultindy500_0.2.bas.bin

0.2 released.

Notes:

* The player icons should be tied to direction now, but something is wrong with this currently

* Have added a ball at bottom for each player to indicate direction since it doesn't appear to correspond to the actual sprite direction.

If anyone can figure that out or any other bugs, it would be super helpful!

ultindy500_0.2.basultindy500_0.2.bas.bin

OK, I got the paddles thing working (it was my fault), but man it's really hard to steer or know where you're going!

Thanks,

Mike

If it will work on my Supercharger, I'll try out the paddles on the real deal.

It should... according to Batari, all BB 1.0 programs are supercharger safe....

I have one, too.. but I can't get to my real Atari until after the weekend...

I'm curious as to how this will work...

Thanks,

Mike

I forgot, my machine with the conversion tool is currently out of commission. Can't really load those tools on this work computer. :(

0.3 released

Fixed the problem with the player sprites. It looks much better now (you can tell where you are going).

Lap counting still needs work as does gameplay. If anyone wants to suggest different player sprites please do. I was just trying something different than the normal indy 500 car sprite, but am not against using it if you think that would be better. All suggestions welcome. If I could use 8.8 fixed decimals, the action would be smoother, but I don't have enough free vars to do that as far as I have tried.

Note: there was a problem with two of the sprite with playfield collision detection so I had to turn that off.

ultindy500_0.3.bas.binultindy500_0.3.bas

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

• 4 weeks later...

So, I *finally* loaded this up on a real Atari with my Supercharger and real paddles...

It looks good, but the steering is still waaaaaay too touchy! The acceleration and deceleration work well, although maybe should be more sensitive....

So, basically, cut back on the steering sensitivity and increase the acceleration and deceleration sensitivity and you've got a good thing going! :)

Thanks,

Mike

I can't remember exactly where I found this, but I believe batari wrote it. I did a quick search on the forums and I couldn't find the original post. It's an indy 500 demo game that has the all the car physics for the car configured just like the original indy 500 game. It works really well - It might be a good example to look at if you want to tweak your game.

Great job by the way! Your game is very cool and has great potential.

Steve

bBi500.bin

bBi500.txt

I can't remember exactly where I found this, but I believe batari wrote it. I did a quick search on the forums and I couldn't find the original post. It's an indy 500 demo game that has the all the car physics for the car configured just like the original indy 500 game. It works really well - It might be a good example to look at if you want to tweak your game.

Great job by the way! Your game is very cool and has great potential.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks a lot! Will definitely take a look at it and do what I can! Glad to hear you think it is cool! I kind of thought no one was really interested in it.

Batari had some/all of the indy physics in the game that comes with bB (zombie chase). I tried not to look at it in the beginning because I wanted to see what I could do on my own, and later found out that I couldn't really use much of what he had for 4 players in a 4k game because there weren't enough variables. So the physics take a serious hit because of that. If I changed it to a larger bank-switched game maybe it would be more fun. I will do that if people think that is the best direction to get this jump started again. My goal has been previously not to write any game that couldn't be played on a future Atari product that may not support superchargers, so I thought 4k was the best I could do to be safe. Is that right? Also, I don't want to limit who can play them on regular 2600s (for those with croc cart/etc but no supercharger).

In other news- I tried to duplicate the playfield bug last week in separate code and determined that the thing that is causing 2 cars to have playfield collision detection issues is my use of temp variables. I don't know what bit(s) it is nor the exact condition that makes this happen, so I'm hesitant to list it as a bug. But it definitely seems to either make it look like player sprite is always colliding or never colliding with playfield. Wish I had more time to look into it. I wish I didn't have to use temp vars but I ran out of regular ones.

So, I *finally* loaded this up on a real Atari with my Supercharger and real paddles...

It looks good, but the steering is still waaaaaay too touchy! The acceleration and deceleration work well, although maybe should be more sensitive....

So, basically, cut back on the steering sensitivity and increase the acceleration and deceleration sensitivity and you've got a good thing going! :)

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks, Mike! Will do!

In other news- I tried to duplicate the playfield bug last week in separate code and determined that the thing that is causing 2 cars to have playfield collision detection issues is my use of temp variables. I don't know what bit(s) it is nor the exact condition that makes this happen, so I'm hesitant to list it as a bug. But it definitely seems to either make it look like player sprite is always colliding or never colliding with playfield. Wish I had more time to look into it. I wish I didn't have to use temp vars but I ran out of regular ones.

A number of functions use temp variables internally. At some point I hope to document them all. If you stick to TEMP4 through TEMP6 you should be fine.

Michael designed the pit stop (now I just need to implement a need for it). Curtis did the 4 player colored lap counter. Thanks to Michael, Batari, Curtis, Lord Mike, and everyone else for the advice.

I was wondering about what need a pit stop for. How about a fuel gauge that runs out when the players are driving, when a player hits something, like a wall, the fuel gauge loses a bit of fuel. The pit stop is the place to refuel.

I do have a question about the track designs. Are you planning more tracks?

A number of functions use temp variables internally. At some point I hope to document them all. If you stick to TEMP4 through TEMP6 you should be fine.

Thanks! Will try limiting to those 3!

I was wondering about what need a pit stop for. How about a fuel gauge that runs out when the players are driving, when a player hits something, like a wall, the fuel gauge loses a bit of fuel. The pit stop is the place to refuel.

I do have a question about the track designs. Are you planning more tracks?

Decrementing fuel would be good. I'm not sure about how I would indicate fuel and damage (was thinking changing color of car to show that).

One of the problems with having more than one track unfortunately is that if I have to worry about where the pit stop or finish line/halfway point are (if they are different for different tracks) it will require more space (and probably at least one more variable or so and some additional code in the selection part of the game that doesn't even exist yet :) - I might need to drop the title sequence to fit that in). I think I need to get the mechanics of the game figured out before I worry about that, but if I have space I'll definitely try for at least 2 tracks in the beginning. Maybe different tracks could just be released as different games if space were really tight.