IGNORED

Fell Victim To The Infamous Three Red Flashing Lights!

Charlie Cat

Hi Guys:

Well, tonight I fell victim to the infamous X-Box 360 Three Red Flashing Lights on my console. However, there is good news. Because of the systems reputation of this issue, Microsoft has extended the Warranty to 3-Years (instead of 1) from the original purchased date. I called 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and they have waived my bill (THANK YOU). It will be 7-10 Days for UPS to pick it up and, 2-4 weeks for it to be back (sigh). But its free and its going to be repaired. :D

Anthony....

Yep, They extended it awhile ago, finally admitting that the 360 is the least realiable system of all time.

Honestly you can keep it suspended 9 feet off the ground via tiny stainless steel wires so nothing is blocking any vents, in a wind tunnel cooled to 65 degrees and if it was build within the first year of release, it's going to break down eventually. :D

I really hope things work out for you with your replacement.

But please be aware that many people have encountered problems with the "refurbs" that MS sends out. I'm one of them as Console #3 arrived at my house with the Ring of Death right out of the box from MS. Took another 4 1/2 weeks to get Console #4 which has been functioning for the last 3mos without problem.

Mendon

I really hope things work out for you with your replacement.

But please be aware that many people have encountered problems with the "refurbs" that MS sends out. I'm one of them as Console #3 arrived at my house with the Ring of Death right out of the box from MS. Took another 4 1/2 weeks to get Console #4 which has been functioning for the last 3mos without problem.

Mendon

Thanks for the Words. I have my faith with Microsoft ( I always did) I'll just keep my PS3 humming in the meantime.

Anthony...

Yep, They extended it awhile ago, finally admitting that the 360 is the least realiable system of all time.

Honestly you can keep it suspended 9 feet off the ground via tiny stainless steel wires so nothing is blocking any vents, in a wind tunnel cooled to 65 degrees and if it was build within the first year of release, it's going to break down eventually. :D

Hi:

I thought that the 360 (in my opinion) is still a very realiable console. Its just a matter of luck (I believe). This system lasted longer then other people expected by almost 2 years.

Plus, speaking of luck. My original Xbox 360 warranty expired not to long ago. Thankfully, this was the only functional warranty left..

Yet, there is no doubt that Microsoft always had a poor reputation with Xbox Customer Service. However, because of this error with these consoles, there Customer Support has significantly improved.

Anthony....

Edited by fdurso224

Hi:

I thought that the 360 (in my opinion) is still a very realiable console. Its just a matter of luck (I believe). This system lasted longer then other people expected by almost 2 years.

Plus, speaking of luck. My original Xbox 360 warranty expired not to long ago. Thankfully, this was the only functional warranty left..

However, there is no doubt that Microsoft always had a poor reputation with Xbox Customer Service. However, because of this error with these consoles, there Customer Support has change significantly improved.

Anthony....

I thought that the 360 (in my opinion) is still a very realiable console. Its just a matter of luck (I believe).

If lucks a factor, Then lots of 360 owners are unlucky.....Personally I don't believe in luck.

If your console breaks down, crummy luck is last excuse I'd place the blame on.

I thought that the 360 (in my opinion) is still a very realiable console. Its just a matter of luck (I believe).

If lucks a factor, Then lots of 360 owners are unlucky.....Personally I don't believe in luck.

If your console breaks down, crummy luck is last excuse I'd place the blame on.

Yeah, but that's just a opinion. Me, I do believe in it, and it happen to be my unlucky night (that night). The good news is that there taking care of the problem.

Anthony....

Edited by fdurso224

if it was build within the first year of release, it's going to break down eventually. :D

Any system without a modified cpu brace design is pretty much destined to failure I'd say. It's a shame that MS would make such a rookie mistake. :|

Oooh, I'd be livid if I got bad refurbs. When mine finally succumbed to the 3RR, I called them and made it very clear I wanted a new unit. And that's what they shipped back to me. Just got it yesterday, so the turnaround was very fast.

Although there is a very obvious proven design defect in the units, I still blame a large number of failures on people having absolutely no clue about what proper environmental conditions are or even giving any thought to it. It's been borne out through a pretty large number of people I've talked to.

I'm in the boat with Tempest, I think...

I'd like to get a 360, but I'm not spending $400 on something that's going to give me problems. I've been down that road once, and it's surprising I bought any of that company's consoles again (I've bought two more from them, actually).

On the other hand, I'd probably ask for my original unit back once it was repaired, and tell them if it took a bit longer that would be fine with me. After a couple of go rounds that way, though, I'd ask for a new system. either that, or I'd fix it myself.

What makes you so sure its brand new?

It was manufactured like two weeks ago, unless they are changing the serial info in refurb.

Mine was the same way and the 360 I got back honestly looks brand new. It even still has the plastic covering the wireless reciever on the console. Not bad for buying my 360 used off ebay then sending it back for a new one.

I got a "refurbished" Xbox360 for $250 including shipping from a private auction site. It was also DOA with the RROD so I had to wait a couple of weeks to actually play it. At least MS fixed it for free and didn't give me a hassle.

Apparently all they do with the "refurbished" consoles is put in a bigger heatsink.

Edited by AtariRocks

I got a "refurbished" Xbox360 for $250 including shipping from a private auction site. It was also DOA with the RROD so I had to wait a couple of weeks to actually play it. At least MS fixed it for free and didn't give me a hassle.

Apparently all they do with the "refurbished" consoles is put in a bigger heatsink.

If that's true, I could see why someone recieveing their erhem..."refurbished" system might run into problems. Since the RROD is supposedly the system saying "something went wrong, godbuy" and that could mean fried parts...

• 2 weeks later...
I've considered getting a 360 several times now, but I keep waiting in hope that those new updated 65ns 360's that will hopefully solve the overheating and RROD problems. Any idea when this is supposed to happen?

Tempest

Falcon boards are out now with a 65nm CPU, but there's no way to really tell the difference between them and the older Zephyr boards that are prone to destruction. However...

http://citizengame.wordpress.com/2007/08/0...n-rev-has-hdmi/

Evidently, as long as you purchase one with an HDMI port, you get a safer 360. It'll either be the new 'Falcon' board with the 65nm chip, or it will be the older Zephyr with new thermal paste and an additional heat sink.

I guess it's not a bad bet though - if yours blows up, just ship it back under warranty : ) You'd probably lose your save games though.

Edited by Hornpipe2

I have one of the newer 360s (with the HDMI output) and I've had problems with it outright crashing during a game, and a few times I've gotten the flashing red lights. So far simply turning the console off and on has resolved the issue, but I'm certainly not impressed. Microsoft has had two years to resolve this widespread problem and they are still selling flaky consoles. My console is sitting by itself, with nothing to interfere with airflow around it. This is the only game console I've ever had these sort of issues with. Typical Microsoft quality.

..Al

I have one of the newer 360s (with the HDMI output) and I've had problems with it outright crashing during a game, and a few times I've gotten the flashing red lights. So far simply turning the console off and on has resolved the issue, but I'm certainly not impressed. Microsoft has had two years to resolve this widespread problem and they are still selling flaky consoles. My console is sitting by itself, with nothing to interfere with airflow around it. This is the only game console I've ever had these sort of issues with. Typical Microsoft quality.

..Al

I'd send it back to them. First console I got, I had issues right away with everything freezing up when I played PDZ, it also crashed a few time playing Burnout, needless to say it went right back to them. When I got it back everything was fine. (Except for the ocassional freeze up in Oblivion) Cant say I've ever experienced the RRD (Except one time when I didnt have the cables plugged up right I got a red ring) but if I did, back it would go. Seems to me sooner or later rebooting it isn't going to help. Hopefully they'll send you back a console with a Falcon board.

..Al

Obviously you have recently gotten your 360 (hence the hdmi port). If you are having problems already, I'd go ahead and send it back. It's just a matter of days til it crashes for good. Mine did the same thing for about a week before crapping out all together.

..Al

Obviously you have recently gotten your 360 (hence the hdmi port). If you are having problems already, I'd go ahead and send it back. It's just a matter of days til it crashes for good. Mine did the same thing for about a week before crapping out all together.

I'm also a bit peeved that it came with an A/V cable that precludes me using the HDMI output and the normal A/V out at the same time. This means I cannot use the digital audio out and HDMI output together. Pretty ridiculous to include a cable like this with the system.

I'll have to call them and see what they say. Might be worth waiting for them to switch to the 65nm process and eliminate their stock of older systems first, although I suppose I might get a refurbished older system. I'd be pretty pissed if I ended up with one that didn't have the HDMI port!!

..Al