IGNORED

Fell Victim To The Infamous Three Red Flashing Lights!

Charlie Cat

Do you need a receipt for the thing for the repair?

I guess though I shouldn't be too worried, I got mine in February, and I think it's more a first year or so model issue...

Nah.... Just give the Serial Number, and your set.

Anthony....

You probably have to register your serial number with MS though...don't you? At least that's what I did day one.

I guess though I shouldn't be too worried, I got mine in February, and I think it's more a first year or so model issue...

Anthony....

You probably have to register your serial number with MS though...don't you? At least that's what I did day one.

I didn't have to. They just matched the serial number to the manufacture date. No problem :)

Anthony....

I didn't have to. They just matched the serial number to the manufacture date. No problem :)

What would happen if you picked up old stock? Lets say I bought a 360 brand new but that had been sitting in ToyRUs warehouse and it was manufactured in Nov 2006? If I hadn't registered the console and didnt have a reciept, Wouldn't they tell me it was out of warranty?

Anthony....

What would happen if you picked up old stock? Lets say I bought a 360 brand new but that had been sitting in ToyRUs warehouse and it was manufactured in Nov 2006? If I hadn't registered the console and didnt have a reciept, Wouldn't they tell me it was out of warranty?

I dunno. I bought mine off of Ebay, and never registered it. When it died, I called them. They had me register it then send it to them. No questions asked.

I wouldn't think that there is alot of old stock of consoles out there in stores. In fact, I'd be surprised if there were more than a handfull at best.

I wouldn't think that there is alot of old stock of consoles out there in stores. In fact, I'd be surprised if there were more than a handfull at best.

Yeah thats true, just an intriquing question. They probably know the system is crap reliabilty wise and will replace ANY unit produced before a couple weeks ago.

Sheesh, if all that is wrong is the cooling system, then why not open it up, cut the case, add some intake fans, remove the heatsink, put on arctic silver 5, and put a bigger fan on the heatsink?

That's just my theory though. If they mess it up, I'd rather add a solution myself and KNOW it won't overheat/get the RROD, then when in the middle of gaming, bam, suddenly you're out a console for a month.

That's just me though.

Edited by keilbaca

I must have gotten VERY lucky! I bought mine within the first 2 weeks of launch and have never had a problem :)

There are two things Jesus doesn't like: little boys who touch themselves and people who brag about the reliability of their 360s. Expect a bolt of lightning very soon.

I must have gotten VERY lucky! I bought mine within the first 2 weeks of launch and have never had a problem :)

There are two things Jesus doesn't like: little boys who touch themselves and people who brag about the reliability of their 360s. Expect a bolt of lightning very soon.

As long as some rain comes with the lightning, that would be OK! ;)

PS: I wasn't touching myself! :ponder:

Edited by RxRated

Yea but do you touch your Xbox ? :ponder:

Sheesh, if all that is wrong is the cooling system, then why not open it up, cut the case, add some intake fans, remove the heatsink, put on arctic silver 5, and put a bigger fan on the heatsink?

That's just my theory though. If they mess it up, I'd rather add a solution myself and KNOW it won't overheat/get the RROD, then when in the middle of gaming, bam, suddenly you're out a console for a month.

That's just me though.

I'd rather not void my warranty. Especially when I can get it fixed for free ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, my 360 died last night....exactly 3 weeks before my warranty expired! :cool: I'm not usually this lucky.

All the more reasons I will not buy a 360...At least anytime soon. I thought the Playstation name was cursed with faulty consoles..

Hi Single Tooth:

Aw, Come on! Maybe you would like to reconsider? The Xbox 360 has some truly awesome games now. Like,

Call of Duty 4

Ace Combat 6

Mass Effect

Assassins Creed

Virtua Fighter 5 Online

Raw vs. Smackdown 2008

Xbox Live Arcade Games

That's just off the top of my head. The Xbox 360 library is certainly impressive! Why not give it a shot? I feel that its still a reliable console in my books.

Anthony....

That's just me though.

The problem isn't just the cooling system, the problem is the inability for heat to dissipate throughout the case. It's a bad design from a thermal management standpoint, you can't just put a big enough fan, or toss heatsink in there because there isn't enough room to do so adequately. In Microsoft's rush to address some of the complaints with the original Xbox (one of which was that it was physically too big) they failed to consider proper heat standards. If you made a special case (thus voiding the warranty) for your Xbox 360 and ran it that way then it wouldn't ideally have any problems. But using its current form factor there isn't enough room for the CPU or GPU to escape. And it's not like this problem has been entirely solved.

Microsoft's first fix was a slightly beefier heatsink, it still doesn't solve the problem entirely. The new Falcon CPU's help, but the GPU still does overheat.

Added in edit: I guess I should clarify that the problem is with the form factor of the 360 and not with the cooling system itself. There's just not enough room for air to flow.

Edited by DragonmasterDan

All the more reasons I will not buy a 360...At least anytime soon. I thought the Playstation name was cursed with faulty consoles..

Hi Single Tooth:

Aw, Come on! Maybe you would like to reconsider? The Xbox 360 has some truly awesome games now. Like,

Call of Duty 4

Ace Combat 6

Mass Effect

Assassins Creed

Virtua Fighter 5 Online

Raw vs. Smackdown 2008

Xbox Live Arcade Games

That's just off the top of my head. The Xbox 360 library is certainly impressive! Why not give it a shot? I feel that its still a reliable console in my books.

Anthony....

It's not the library I'm worried about, it's the quality of the build of the console.

I'll be pissed off if they decide the warranty period is 3 years regardless of whether they've fixed it once. Each fix should last another 3 years.

3 years from the original date of purchase. Getting a warranty repair does not reset your warranty. The exception is if you have less than 90-days of warranty. In that case, you get a fresh 90-day warranty.

The warranty on a repair that you pay for (so if the console were beyond the 1-year comprehensive, 3-year flashing red lights) is 1-year.

Not a bad deal if you ever needed to do that considering the repair is $100.

They just implemented UPS email labels too so you can just print it out and slap it on a box without needing to wait for them to send you a box if you don't want to wait for one.