IGNORED

Long shot: Paddle controllers for PC's via usb for use in mame?

majinbuu

Hiya

I was trying to have a go at Warlords on MAME the other day and it is damn near impossible without paddle controllers. Is there an online shop/distributor who has paddles for sale on PC's? Or is this just a pipe dream.

Otherwise, is there another way to play this game on MAME?

Thanks guys

Nora

Hiya

I was trying to have a go at Warlords on MAME the other day and it is damn near impossible without paddle controllers. Is there an online shop/distributor who has paddles for sale on PC's? Or is this just a pipe dream.

Thanks guys

Nora

That's easy all you need is a Stelladapter from our very own AtariAge store.

The Stelladaptor 2600 Controller to USB Interface allows the use of standard Atari 2600-compatible controllers, including joysticks, paddles, and driving controllers, with modern computers running Windows, Macintosh OS X, or Linux operating systems. Any Atari 2600-compatible joystick, when plugged into your computer through the Stelladaptor, will behave as a normal joystick. This allows the use of classic Atari controllers with any software that will work with an 8-direction digital joystick controller (left, right, up, down, and diagonals).

In addition to joystick controllers, the Stelladaptor also automatically recognizes the Atari 2600 paddle and driving controllers. To take advantage of these controllers, software running on the host computer (such as emulators or games) must be updated to accurately handle the data being sent by the Stelladaptor. We have worked closely with the authors of the excellent z26 and Stella Atari 2600 emulators and updated version of these emulators have been released that automatically recognize when the Stelladaptor is plugged in, allowing you to play joystick, paddle, and driving controller games. You can also use your Atari 2600 joystick and paddle controllers in the popular MAME arcade emulator.

Stelladaptor will work with any emulators that support standard USB controllers. Paddle controllers will only work in emulators that allow configuration of analog USB controllers, or emulators that have been updated to directly support the Stelladaptor (such as z26 and Stella). We will be working with emulator authors to add native support to additional emulators in the future.

Stelladaptor.gif

Edited by SRGilbert

ahhh.. excellent, now all I need is to get my hand on some atari paddle controllers. Preferably new, but if not possible then some refurbished ones.

I tried looking trough the store, but couldn't see any. Any tips on scoring some paddle controllers, or is ebay my best bet?

Thanks heaps

Nora

ahhh.. excellent, now all I need is to get my hand on some atari paddle controllers. Preferably new, but if not possible then some refurbished ones.

I tried looking trough the store, but couldn't see any. Any tips on scoring some paddle controllers, or is ebay my best bet?

Thanks heaps

Nora

I'd say your first step would be to post in the Wanted section in the Marketplace. I'm sure someone here has an extra set. :) Edited by SRGilbert

Buy? How about some schematics so I can build my own. There has got to be some homebrewed equivelent of this. :ponder:
I'm going to assume you mean making your own spinner that will work in mame? Sure, there is an excellent tutorial on making one out of an old mouse, in PDF format HERE. Edited by SRGilbert

Buy? How about some schematics so I can build my own. There has got to be some homebrewed equivelent of this. :ponder:
I'm going to assume you mean making your own spinner that will work in mame? Sure, there is an excellent tutorial on making one out of an old mouse, in PDF format HERE.

Well, actually I meant a generic Stelladaptor, but that spinner project looks neat. Thanks for the link. Might have to make one of those for Tempest. :)

Hiya

Thanks guys

Nora

You didn't happen to go to CGE and play Warlords there didja? Ever since my son and I played the original arcade cab at CGE 2007 (see him win on YouTube! search for [cge 2007 warlords]) we've been pining for it. I did manage to get it running in MAME on my Xbox, but the analog thumbsticks just don't do it justice...at all, in fact one could say they do it an injustice. Warlords on the Atari VCS is passable substitue with its four-player capability, but the lack of multiple fireballs causes it to pale in comparison to the original cab.

The solution for this is a toss-up between purchasing two stelladaptors (one for each pair of paddle controlers) or building a custom control panel from a quartet of dead mice (based on instructions linked to above). It's the classic "money to purchase and effort spent earning money" vs. "Time to build, cost of parts and possible assemblage effort". The pro to the former being not having to wait very long to be playing MAME Warlords; the pro to the latter is the satisfaction of making something cool about which other people can say "hey, that's cool" and you can say "yeah, I made it."

Decisions decisions...

Edited by Mezrabad