IGNORED

Wii Trailers and Commercials are so damn gay.

ManShowBoy

wow, can i borrow your 64? must have had some updated chips in there to get polygons that are smooth like that. not saying the game doesnt suck, but i think thats more of an artistic choice than a lack of hardware.

really do wish games like this stopped being produced, however, i dont really see how this is that much more beyond other wii commercials. i think they do a good job of showing how to play it and game play.. certainly beats the lack of ads for the GC.

last i checked i thought you hated the wii and all things nintendo...

Doesn't he really like Red Steel? If so, I can't say I'm inclined to say he hates the Wii.

Yeah but he said something negative about the Wii. When folks do that it makes AtariJr's underwear bunch up and causes him to post nonsense. Last few weeks there's been a lack of posts like that, was kinda nice. :cool:

Oh and the reason Wii commercials are so goofy is simple. It's because they are ment to appeal to your mom and non-gamers.

Carnival Games looks like another game that will be perfect for when the folks come to the house. Like Sports it's another offering of games lots of people are familiar with already. I plan on picking up a copy for when company comes over.

Oh and the reason Wii commercials are so goofy is simple. It's because they are ment to appeal to your mom and non-gamers.

Carnival Games looks like another game that will be perfect for when the folks come to the house. Like Sports it's another offering of games lots of people are familiar with already. I plan on picking up a copy for when company comes over.

This is exactly what I have been noticing and I think it is brilliant. If I had the extra money I would invest as much as I could in Nintendo stock. They seem to be the only Video Game company that "gets it" these days. There is a huge audience outside of the hardcore gamer that wants to play video games again, myself included. I think as a result of Nintendo's actions these "retired" Video game players will once again become active video game players resulting in Nintendo making it's stock holders a ton of cash :) Maybe I could invest something.... :ponder:

Like Sports it's another offering of games lots of people are familiar with already. I plan on picking up a copy for when company comes over.

It is VERY much like sports (I picked up a copy of Carnival today), fun with a bunch of people, decent when you're really bored playing single player. Well worth $40 bucks IMO. My one gripe is that you can't use your Mii's for this one (Nintendo must have put the screws to that!)

Oh, and the commercial is pretty flaming, then again kiddies...do a Youtube search for commercials for any of the old Atari systems we all love here. They're not exactly "cool". :P

last i checked i thought you hated the wii and all things nintendo...

Doesn't he really like Red Steel? If so, I can't say I'm inclined to say he hates the Wii.

Yeah but he said something negative about the Wii. When folks do that it makes AtariJr's underwear bunch up and causes him to post nonsense. Last few weeks there's been a lack of posts like that, was kinda nice. :cool:

its nice to know my absense has made you so happy.. glad im back.

and i was simply pointing out a simple fact, manshow has never been a big fan of nintendo around here.. so i dont see how pointing that fact out is horrid. also, last i chekced i wasnt the first perosn to post about his idiodic thread, so go yell at someone else. btw, convenient of you to totally overlook my bashing of this waste of disk space.

although the first part of your post is as pointed as even, yes your dead on. this game is made to appeal to families and kids. This means that its going to try to appeal to them.. if you presented this like a "game' it might not appeal to mr. and mrs. smith who dont really like to play them. the inclusion of the carnival people, while a bit silly looking, is simply trying to show them that this is like the carnival.. a place most people of any age have fun at.

and i was simply pointing out a simple fact, manshow has never been a big fan of nintendo around here.. so i dont see how pointing that fact out is horrid.

btw, convenient of you to totally overlook my bashing of this waste of disk space.

And I was simply pointing out the simple fact that you post simple responses when you see negative comments about your beloved.. so I don't see how pointing that fact got the unders bunched up again. :cool:

btw, I conveniently overlook 95% of your posts. ;)

Yeah I'm glad you're back too AtariJr. :party:

Just placed an order for Carnival off Amazon. Time will tell if it sucks as bad as it's comercial. Personally I think the Wii was tailor made for these types of games and I'm hoping it'll be a blast. Thing is I dunno how long Nintendo can keep it up. I mean once mom and dad have 4 or 5 of these types of games, they may be done. I usually keep an eye on hourly sales in the "videogames" catagory on Amazon anytime I log on (at leasts once a day, sometimes more if my bank account is fat), and for the past few days the Wii's "hardcore" game Metroid Prime 3 is continuously outsold by Bio Shock and a game that's not even released yet...Halo 3. Millions of Wii's are sold for sure, but the folks buying them seem to have no use for a Metroid type game. Altho to be honest, I don't know how popular Amazon is or if it's a good indication of sales, it was just something that caught me eye...

http://www.amazon.com/computer-video-games...amp;node=468642

That is lame that you can't use your Mii's with Carnival! What's the point of building a character if you can't use em? I hope this isn't a situation where the Mii's are going to start being ignored. It's one of the things that makes the Wii quirky and fun.

Millions of Wii's are sold for sure, but the folks buying them seem to have no use for a Metroid type game. Altho to be honest, I don't know how popular Amazon is or if it's a good indication of sales, it was just something that caught me eye...

Stuff like this typically moves through much heavier volumes in retail stores as opposed to online - particularly around the launch. People want to play "right away" not wait for Amazon to send (which, IMO, has gotten worse in the last year).

I don't know how Metroid is doing compared to other SKUs in the channel, but perhaps NPD data will tell us next week?

My anecdotal info was that I went to Three targets and two Best Buys before snagging the last copy at the one store that had them.

Millions of Wii's are sold for sure, but the folks buying them seem to have no use for a Metroid type game. Altho to be honest, I don't know how popular Amazon is or if it's a good indication of sales, it was just something that caught me eye...

Stuff like this typically moves through much heavier volumes in retail stores as opposed to online - particularly around the launch. People want to play "right away" not wait for Amazon to send (which, IMO, has gotten worse in the last year).

I don't know how Metroid is doing compared to other SKUs in the channel, but perhaps NPD data will tell us next week?

Well whatever. We all like Metroid of course, but it's not exactly Nintendo's sales juggernaught and never has been. Plus, there isn't much hype (is there even a TV commercial?) so comparing it to Halo 3 preorders or BioShock isn't really fair or telling.

What is interesting is that Metroid's been out of stock at amazon.ca for a good while now, but it's still on the top 10 hourly Wii sales at #6 right now. So people do want the game and are buying it.

Look at it this way if you feel that a comparison across systems is essential;

Is Metroid on Wii (the highest profile "shooter" on the "fun" system) outperforming the highest profile "fun" game on the "shooter" system? The answer is most likely yes I'd think and really more telling than any Metroid vs. BioShock comparisons.

Look at it this way if you feel that a comparison across systems is essential;

Not unless you consider something that was "just something that caught me eye" a cry for system comparison. I've never been a huge Metroid fan but I was always under the impression that it was one of Nintendo's bigger franchise and very popular. You have set me straight tho. I now know that Metroid Prime 3 is a shovelware title. ;)

Honestly figgler, think hard, wouldn't a person assume that if 2 different companies had equal amounts of systems in consumers homes and one of them released a FPS title that no one was familiar with (BioShock) and the other one released a FPS game that everyone in the world of gaming was familiar with (Metroid) that the title that had a decades+ long following would move more units?? (BioShock isn't outrageously popular due to it's advertising campaign either)

Also I have no clue what point you are making when you posted this....

Is Metroid on Wii (the highest profile "shooter" on the "fun" system) outperforming the highest profile "fun" game on the "shooter" system?

What game exactly are you comparing to Metroid?...many many games on the 360 are fun as hell so I'm not sure I follow you, or are you saying that the Wii isn't made for games like Metroid but 360 is, so it's amazing it's in the top 10 at all? In any case the only thing that would be telling is the actual sales figures for Metroid Prime 3.

All I was saying was that I was surprised that Metroid Prime 3 was selling less then a game no-ones heard of before and a pre-order on Amazon and I stand by that. A Metroid game should sell more than either I would think.

Edited by moycon

All I was saying was that I was surprised that Metroid Prime 3 was selling less then a game no-ones heard of before and a pre-order on Amazon and I stand by that. A Metroid game should sell more than either I would think.

I think you over estimate the popularity of the Metroid series. It's a Nintendo fanboy series to be sure, but I don't think that translates to it being a huge game. Also, I think this may be our first hard number on how many non-traditional gamers are buying the Wii. One would assume that if similar numbers of people own a Wii and 360, then, as you've said, one would think Metroid could outsell Bioshock. But then, does your mom love Metroid? Is there a pile of 10 year old girls saving up to play the latest Prime? Does the whole family want to get together to watch a morph ball? Meanwhile, does the 360's target market love great FPSers, especially while they are still waiting for the new Halo?

Figgler's comparison, I think, was pointing out that although the Wii's target market doesn't like FPSers, Prime is selling adaquately, while we shouldn't be surprised a FPS is doing well on a console largely selling to FPS fanatics. It's like being surprised a 2D fighter sold out on the Neo Geo. I don't think that detracts from the sales of either system, as it shows that they are both largely selling to the markets they targeted. I imagine if 10 million copies of Prime 3 sold, Nintendo would be very worried, as that would mean they basically only reached the Nintendo faithful again, and sales would be soon topping out.

Edited by Atarifever

I've never been a huge Metroid fan but I was always under the impression that it was one of Nintendo's bigger franchise and very popular. You have set me straight tho. I now know that Metroid Prime 3 is a shovelware title.

It's popular, but yeah let's not overestimate it. It's not Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Brain Age, or even Nintendogs or Animal Crossing.

Figgler's comparison, I think, was pointing out that although the Wii's target market doesn't like FPSers, Prime is selling adaquately, while we shouldn't be surprised a FPS is doing well on a console largely selling to FPS fanatics. It's like being surprised a 2D fighter sold out on the Neo Geo. I don't think that detracts from the sales of either system, as it shows that they are both largely selling to the markets they targeted.

That's it exactly. It's all about target markets. While Bio Shock on the surface looks like a game no one ever heard of, in reality every shooter fan who owns a 360 saw it coming and likely bought their 360 for games just like this. They're eating it up as expected and good for them.

The Wii market is going to be tougher to crack for this game type. Japan won't care about it and FPS freaks already have a 360. Throw in the fact that MP2 by all accounts underperformed and we shouldn't be expecting sales records to be breaking on MP3.

Its goal is to provide Metroid fans the sequel they wanted, bring a "serious" game to Wii, get a few FPS-heads to take a look and make some money along the way.

Edited by figgler

I got Carnival games. It's just allright. Lots of games in it are just bullshit (the ring toss types), and some are fun (like the balloon popping & the strength test one). And I don't know if it's my console, but I seemed to have a major problem with controller accuracy and shakiness which seemed to alleviate itself once I'd get out to the Wii menu.

So yeah. To me this is a B title at best. Fun in spots though. I rate it a 5 or 6 max out of 10.

It's popular, but yeah let's not overestimate it. It's not Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Brain Age, or even Nintendogs or Animal Crossing.

Really? Hmmm I guess I just always assumed it was mega popular. Every time a Metroid game gets released it seems like that’s all you hear about for months. I do kinda see what you're saying now though.

And I don't know if it's my console, but I seemed to have a major problem with controller accuracy and shakiness

It's not the console, you're getting old and feeble. :P

Really? Hmmm I guess I just always assumed it was mega popular. Every time a Metroid game gets released it seems like that’s all you hear about for months.

I wonder if this is because Metroid is friggin awesome. The people that support this franchise know that it's always been of the highest quality, look forward to it with wagging tongues and typically want to chat about it constantly. How many Metroid threads has Room34 started over the years? :P

I kind of always thought that Metroid was too "hardcore" for a lot of people. It's very demanding, often difficult and certainly not something you can pick up and play for 15 minutes at a time once a week.

It's not the console, you're getting old and feeble. :P

Well then Carnival must induce it since as I said above, it gets nice and stable outside of the game in the Wii menu.. as well as any other game :P

It's probably the addition of the pressure from the Carny. You're just nervous.

Really? Hmmm I guess I just always assumed it was mega popular. Every time a Metroid game gets released it seems like that’s all you hear about for months.

I wonder if this is because 2D Metroid is friggin awesome, and 3D Metroids are pretty solid, except for Hunters, which is ass.

There, fixed it for you. I could also have added, "in any case, 3D Metroids aren't as good a FPS as the Halo games, but are better than, say, crappy Doom 3".

Edited by Atarifever

Yeah Hunters sucked. But, the reason it sucked in my mind was because it was a FPS in the most cliche way. Explore hallway, shoot things, collect key card, backtrack to door, use key card, repeat.

All other Metroids are so much more than that and in truth I prefer the term First Person Adventure/Quest to describe them. The shooting should be and is incidental.