IGNORED

Twin Peaks... the video game...

Pixelboy

I rarely post in the "Modern Gaming" board of AA, but I just finished watching the second season of Twin Peaks on DVD tonight, and my mind was just racing after the events of final episode. I dare anyone to watch both seasons (and also the prequel movie) and not walk away with at least a dozen ideas for a Twin Peaks video game. With today's consoles, they could actually create a believeable virtual equivalent of the town, with all the familiar characters, the weird stuff, the scary stuff, even some funny stuff thrown in. Imagine actually walking into the Great Northern Hotel, or the police station, or best yet, to enter the Black/White Lodge and chat with the dwarf or the giant. I think the best angle to making such a video game would be to make it begin right after the final episode. We'd get to see how Cooper deals with Bob, and there are several other plot points that could be explored, so it would be like a long episode that would wrap up the series, possibly with multiple endings depending on what the player does in the game.

Sorry for rambling on, I just had to let it out of my system. :) As you can guess, I'm a fan of the show, and I checked around the net rapidly and found no reference to any kind of console or computer game based on Twin Peaks. It's a pitty that no one out there has any desire to revive Twin Peaks in video game form. I think it could be fun to play, like an extravagantly stylish incarnation of Silent Hill or something like that.

I am one of the few people that watched every episode when they originally aired. Mind you, I said "few". You see, most of the people who jumped on the "Twin Peaks" bandwagon in Season One jumped off shortly into Season Two. By the time we got to the last episode very few people were watching the show. So, while I really like the idea of a "Twin Peaks" vidgame, only a handful of people would be interested so it would never make any money for those who make it.

Of course, if you think the concept of a "Twin Peaks" game is strange what about games based off of David Lynch's other projects like:

"Mulholland Dr."

"Inland Empire" (how about playing as a Rabbit?)

"Wild At Heart"

"Lost Highway" (you see, the game would end where it began plus you get to play as Mr. Big as he beats the shit out of some guy who flipped him off)

"Blue Velvet" (now there's an AO project for ya)

And, of course, what kind of mindfuck of a game would "Eraserhead" be?

And if you think that David Lynch's stuff is strange imagine what would happen if he teamed up with H.R. Giger?

BTW, I am also one of the few people to have watched "On The Air", a David Lynch comedy, when they originally aired. I have the three episodes that ABC aired before they pulled the plug on tape.....somewhere.

• 4 years later...

I've never been too into role playing, but one of my more serious attempts involved a buddy of mine running an experimental Twin Peaks game.

It only lasted one night because none of us really enjoyed role-playing ourselves into a diner and consuming make-believe coffee and pie for several hours. I hadn't seen the show at that time, and perhaps if I had, I would have done more than simply shoot possible clues with my gun. Really I kept trying to shoot everything/everybody that didn't make sense, including the pie.

That might work though. If xcom and syndicate can be FPS games, so could Twin Peaks.

Edited by Reaperman

Of course, if you think the concept of a "Twin Peaks" game is strange what about games based off of David Lynch's other projects like:

"Mulholland Dr."

"Inland Empire" (how about playing as a Rabbit?)

"Wild At Heart"

"Lost Highway"

"Don't ask what the object of the game is, figuring that out is the object of the game." --- from The Game

It'd make a great point and click adventure style game, that's for sure. I love point and click games, so I'd be all for a Twin Peaks game!

:thumbsup: With bitmap graphics ala LucasArts point-n-clicks of the 90s (none of that soulless 3D-modelled stuff) and I would totally be there.

Considering that this is an old topic that has just been bumped it should be noted that there is now a "Twin Peaks" vidgame. However, it is masquerading as a title called "Deadly Premonition".

It pretty much rips off the show in many respects. But I say that in a good way.

It's rough around the edges but I loved the game and tried to find as many references to the show as I could as I played (for which there is many). Highly recommended (wouldn't you agree, Zach?).

It is only available in the US on the Xbox 360 but can imported from Japan (under the name "Red Seed Diaries") for the PS3.