IGNORED

My Lynx Flash Card / What do you think?

Lynxman

Hi,

i discussed this problem with someone and his recommendation is to use an Win Emulator and try again with the Windows terminal proggis.

I am sorry, i do not own a Mac and no Mac User i know understand the problem. And they don´t want to install the drivers for the FT232R and let me check a terminal programm.

Kind Regards

Lynxman

Hi,

i discussed this problem with someone and his recommendation is to use an Win Emulator and try again with the Windows terminal proggis.

I am sorry, i do not own a Mac and no Mac User i know understand the problem. And they don´t want to install the drivers for the FT232R and let me check a terminal programm.

Kind Regards

Lynxman

Understood, which is why I need to talk to an OSX user. there must be a way to make it work. With the ZOC term program I am so so close, it is handshaking with the cart, I just can't type in any commands. maybe there is a different terminal program for mac. I looked at iTerm but it seemed to be the same as the system terminal program. I am also not convinced that it can not be done with the system terminal. i tried connecting with it and it said I did not have permission to connect to the card but it saw the card...

anyway, I really need to talk to a mac user who has done this with a mac.

just FYI, I used my wife's netbook, installed the driver and ran hterm, got the handshake, typed w, chose the lynx game I wanted to try, it uploaded, I typed v to verify, it verified ok

when I put the cart into the lynx it says INSERT GAME ?

the instructions do not indicate anything about how to et the other parameters in hterm, does it need to be bin instead of asc? I tried both hehe... anyway, I'm still stuck. I verified the game runs in an emulator

Installing the FTDI drivers and the Zoc program linked, I just connected my flash card to my MBAir. Here's a few snaps of the configuration.

- With the flashcard attached, launch Zoc and select 'Quick Connection' Edit the dialog to match what is shown.

post-5887-12921810464_thumb.jpg

- Select 'Configure' next to Connection Type in the dialog. Select 'Scan' next to 'Com-Port' Hopefully you should see the FTDI serial port. Here it is listed as /dev/cu.usbserial-V1270035 Select this port and choose OK.

post-5887-129218104673_thumb.jpg

- Configure the serial options to match as below and choose OK

post-5887-129218104707_thumb.jpg

- You should be returned to the Quick Connection dialog at this point. Choose Connect. If everything is working you will see the CONNECTED TO PORT message. Type 'h' and the flashcard should respond as below.

post-5887-129218104749_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps a bit :)

Hi,

Kind Regards

Lynxman

Understood, which is why I need to talk to an OSX user. there must be a way to make it work. With the ZOC term program I am so so close, it is handshaking with the cart, I just can't type in any commands. maybe there is a different terminal program for mac. I looked at iTerm but it seemed to be the same as the system terminal program. I am also not convinced that it can not be done with the system terminal. i tried connecting with it and it said I did not have permission to connect to the card but it saw the card...

anyway, I really need to talk to a mac user who has done this with a mac.

i googled the last hour,

maybe coolterm is better to use

http://freeware.the-meiers.org/

there is a simple window to send string

the only thing what is confusing you have only the option send textfile, but you can also select a lynxgame and transfer it. It runs withour an problem.

I downloaded the win version, and its more easy than hterm or zoc

Regards

Matthias

@remo I really ppreciate you taking the time to make and post all those screen shots. I have it connected and working with ZOC, my screen looks just like yours, my port name is a little different, the numbrs are different but zoc and the flash cart are handshaking as I have posted earlier, the menu of commands comes up, no problem

now, can YOU type in a command into zoc once the card is connected? this is where I am getting screwed, it will not accept any commands.

now, can YOU type in a command into zoc once the card is connected? this is where I am getting screwed, it will not accept any commands.

Yes, I just have the main zoc window selected and after getting the connect message I just typed 'h' to show what you see above. Mind you, I can't see what I'm typing as the card doesn't echo the characters back, and zoc isn't configured for local echo.

One thing I forgot, you may need to start the serial speed at 9600 in that third dialog I posted, my card was previously set for the higher speed so that's what I chose there.

@remo I really ppreciate you taking the time to make and post all those screen shots. I have it connected and working with ZOC, my screen looks just like yours, my port name is a little different, the numbrs are different but zoc and the flash cart are handshaking as I have posted earlier, the menu of commands comes up, no problem

maybe its like in coolterm, there is no line where to enter, you have only to press the key.

+ for coolterm, not so much options,freeware

maybe its like in coolterm, there is no line where to enter, you have only to press the key.

+ for coolterm, not so much options,freeware

I double checked how you set it up and I see some differences between how I did it.

I seemed to get a little further and it accepted a command but it came out weird... let me fool with this and report back

ok, so it accepts the "w" write command, it erases memory and asks me to upload a file. when i click the file upload button and select the game, I get the same issue I had before, the dialog says it is waiting for upload OK, and the only buttons to press are CANCEL and FOLDER, there is no ok or start and using enter or return clicks the CANCEL button

what now? is there another way to upload a file instead of the button?

maybe you can also test the coolterm freeware i found.

i think its easier to use.

just downloaded coolterm, thanks for searching. with ZOC, the verify did not work, did not try twice but, I don't even know if I am doing it right. I am confused by the "SEND FILE" button and the "upload binary" command.... what is the difference and is either one what i want when the terminal asks me to upload a file?

anyway trying coolterm now, will report back...

well, another dead end.

I used coolterm, connected to the usbserial device listed, mine says V270011 it is the only device listed under serial and when I connect and click the anykey button or type h, it spits out the commands and looks right, no garbled text or anything strange, exactly what is posted in the manual.

I enter 'w' and it erases memory and then asks to send file. one coolterm I took the suggestion and used send text file, it communicated , the red lights blinking back and forth. it finished and said ok. I typed 'v', same thing, had to send text file, same file, it blinked red back and forth and said verify was ok.

I put the thing in my lynx and turn it on and it says what it has always said: INSERT GAME, looking on the cart the upper left red led is blinking on and off, as if the lynx is searching the cart.... no game no joy... utter frustration and misery :(

what the heck?

well, another dead end.

I used coolterm, connected to the usbserial device listed, mine says V270011 it is the only device listed under serial and when I connect and click the anykey button or type h, it spits out the commands and looks right, no garbled text or anything strange, exactly what is posted in the manual.

I enter 'w' and it erases memory and then asks to send file. one coolterm I took the suggestion and used send text file, it communicated , the red lights blinking back and forth. it finished and said ok. I typed 'v', same thing, had to send text file, same file, it blinked red back and forth and said verify was ok.

I put the thing in my lynx and turn it on and it says what it has always said: INSERT GAME, looking on the cart the upper left red led is blinking on and off, as if the lynx is searching the cart.... no game no joy... utter frustration and misery :(

what the heck?

do you use the correct option lyx/binary if you have a lyx file, or lnx if you have the lnx file.

press anykey to see what are the settings, and change that if neccassary

well, another dead end.

what the heck?

do you use the correct option lyx/binary if you have a lyx file, or lnx if you have the lnx file.

press anykey to see what are the settings, and change that if neccassary

hmm, it is a .lyx file. how do I change that? what command do I use?

this is what I see when i connect to the card:

MODE

[g] 128k [X] 256k/BLL 512K [k] 512K-BLL

[l] lnx [X] bin/lyx

I thought "bin/lyx" meant it could be either a bin or a lyx file? is that not correct? also, how do I know what mode the game I want to play is?

wait, I figured out how to change it. so easy it is not obvious... but maybe too obvious. anyway, changed it to just lyx.... will try again. but what about mode, how do i know what mode a given game is?

with b you set to binary, you also have to be shure you have the right filesize and type

press anykey to see your settings and options, and check what type of file you have

that was my question, how do you KNOW what file yo have and what size to set for it? take any game as an example? battlewheels.lyx for instance, the size of the rom is 132k. how do I know what size to set for that game in the mode settings?

and what do you mean "with b you set to binary" set what to binary? for the cart or for the program?

with b you set to binary, you also have to be shure you have the right filesize and type

press anykey to see your settings and options, and check what type of file you have

if its a homebrew its 256k/bll

by all other files look at the filesize

The file size on battlewheels is 132kb there is no 132k setting...

also, you did not answer the question about what you meant by typing 'b' for binary? were you referring to a command in coolterm?

if its a homebrew its 256k/bll

by all other files look at the filesize

The file size on battlewheels is 132kb there is no 132k setting...

also, you did not answer the question about what you meant by typing 'b' for binary? were you referring to a command in coolterm?

MODE

[l] lnx bin/lyx

you already set it to binary,

well i think its 128K or 256K

try it out