IGNORED

SHOWDOWN: Video Pinball vs. Midnight Magic

Room 34

This may be the first in a series of posts I will be doing, comparing games of similar concept for the Atari 2600. First off, Atari's 2 pinball offerings for the system.

There's no question that graphically, Midnight Magic is vastly superior to Video Pinball. In fact, I think Midnight Magic may be one of the best looking games made for the system. The detail is impressive, and unlike Video Pinball, it actually looks like a pinball machine!

However, there's one critical element, the element that for me is the thing that makes Video Pinball fun, that's missing from Midnight Magic: the ability to nudge the ball.

Video Pinball is just one of those games where you get "in the zone" and can play forever, but without really getting bored. There's something incredibly gratifying about mastering the art of nudging the ball in Video Pinball.

Now this is the Atari 2600 we're talking about, so game play is king! Despite Midnight Magic's qualities, I have to give the crown to Video Pinball!

Now granted, maybe I am biased because I've been playing Video Pinball since 1982 but I just got Midnight Magic a couple months ago. Therefore I'm opening up the floor for your opinions.

(Next showdown: Super Breakout vs. Off the Wall)

• Like 2

Nah, Midnight Magic is LIGHTYEARS better than VP. Thanks to your nudge trick I can roll video pinall on the first ball in about 20 minutes. NO FUN.

I do miss the "bump" in MM, but it is SO much better for SO many reasons.

Longer table

2 sets of flippers

that little spinny thingy in the middle

multiple targets

skills shots

screen changes colors when the bumpers are increased

Kick backs in the side drains

etc.

MM wins HANDS down

I love computer pinball games.

When I was first getting into the Atari retro scene I went off and found Video Pinball and had a go. It was awful.

Then a little while later I picked up a copy of Midnight Magic. It's so much more enjoyable that I left it in the deck for a number of weeks before I found another cart to replace it. The Cuttle Cart if I recall.

Summary:

VP: Blows

MM: Rocks

Perhaps we could make this series into an official voting thing.

• Like 1

I must add that Video Pinball was the first cart I took apart to see what it looked like inside.  Yes, even before Combat. :P

I guess that says it all.

Well, actually, the first copy of Video Pinball I owned was a loose PCB without the cartridge case. A friend of mine smashed his copy (I never questioned why) and gave me the chip. I played on that thing for hours!

OK, I guess I am a chump. Next showdown: Scott's a chump vs. Scott's a BIG chump. :wink:

Plaque Attack vs. Tooth Protectors!

I have thought about that one before. But I guess I am one of the few people here who does not own a copy of Tooth Protectors! :wink:

For that matter, I don't own Plaque Attack either! But at least I've played it. I always wondered why the big mouth would even bother brushing the 8 pathetic, widely-spaced teeth it had. Let 'em all rot and get you some dentures, I say!

• Like 1

NE146:

I left out Bumper Bash because I have never played it! (I suppose I could run it in an emulator...)

liquid_sky:

Yeah, I think my interest in VP is primarily out of nostalgia too.

Now I own a real pinball machine (Taxi by Williams, 1988) but unfortunately it needs some TLC. The guy who sold it to me put all the wrong fuses in it and now some of the resistors are fried. Mechanically it works 100% but the score display and the music don't work. So it's back to Video Pinball for me!

OK, I just played Bumper Bash on Stella.

Not bad. I think Midnight Magic is better. And since I think VP is the best, I guess that means Bumper Bash is the worst! :P

Just kidding. It's not too bad. But it seems to me like the controls are all out-of-whack. Are you supposed to hold the joystick in some weird way like with Q*Bert?

I've always had a soft spot for Video Pinball, myself, but it's probably because I also have a Video Pinball arcade game, circa 1978. That's a fun game, complete with that handy nudge/tilt feature and a groovy blacklight disco-themed playfield. :) Unfortunately mine needs a little TLC at the moment to bring it back into fully working order.

Neat idea, BTW. I'm looking forward to more of these comparisons.

Are you supposed to hold the joystick in some weird way like with Q*Bert?

Well probably the reason it seemed out of wack is you use the PADDLES in Bumper Bash not the joystick! :roll: :lol: ;) .. I guess it's supposed to give you the sensation of holding the flipper button in each hand. :)

By the way, I forgot to vote! I vote Video Pinball :P I love it but for some reason haven't mastered it yet. :lol:

Well probably the reason it seemed out of wack is you use the PADDLES in Bumper Bash not the joystick!

I was beginning to wonder about that.

But if that's the case, then something is weird with Stella... because most paddle games use the MOUSE when you're playing them in Stella. I tried using the mouse with Bumper Bash, but it didn't work. I found that I had to do some weird combination of left and right arrow keys to get the ball going, and then use the RIGHT arrow to work the left flipper and the LEFT arrow to work the right flipper! :? :D

I gutted a broken Atari Video Pinball console C-380 .. you know the pong clone game! and rewired it to work with the VP MM and Vectrex Spinball. I have not rewired it to work with BB yet .. So I have real L/R flippers for these games! I use a stick wired into the same port for ball release .. Rocks better than a joystick for control!

BTW: The worst VP are the ones on C-380 .. but this is about 2600 ...

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA