IGNORED

SHOWDOWN: Video Pinball vs. Midnight Magic

Room 34

What IS the record?  Is it game 1b or 1a???

How exactly would one prove a high score on a game that rolls over anyway? I could say I rolled over the score on Video Pinball, or I could say I rolled it over 37 times in one game.

Or maybe I just only scored 1000 points. :wink: :roll:

FWIW, I have rolled over the score on Video Pinball exactly once, and I was exceedingly proud of the achievement! 8)

Hello Room 34:

Cast my vote for David's Midnight Magic.

Video Pinball is too much the same old, same old, and depending on whether you nudge like a bandit and keep the ball bouncing in the slots over-and-over again, or avoid it entirely and let the chips fall where they may, it is still easy.

DMM is harder and more colourful, and more challenging. BUT...this is the biggest downfall...balls can hit the flat bumpers and go dead and fall straight down, or the top left/right areas have an unnerving propensity to send your balls straight down the middle of the screen.

Still, I vote for DMM.

Robert T Mruczek

Twin Galaxies - Editor and Chief referee

Star Wars classic arcade champion

(212) 366-3036 (work-day)

rmruczek@doremus.com (work E-MAIL)

Oh my gawd, anyone who like Video Pinball only likes it out of some f*cked up nostalgic trip. I never had that game as a kid, so I can tell you, without the benefit of rose-colored glasses, it SUCKS!

Midnight Magic is much better, but for my money (and there was a bit of it, because it's not the easiest cartridge to find) Bumper Bash should win the prize. Pushing the buttons on the paddles to trigger the flippers is actually very cool, and contributes a LOT to the feel of playing pinball. I mean, come on, who plays pinball with a joystick? 8)

How exactly would one prove a high score on a game that rolls over anyway?  I could say I rolled over the score on Video Pinball, or I could say I rolled it over 37 times in one game.

Videotape :) You record your entire game on tape, which will show the score roll as you continue on your way. As a matter or form, TG requires videotape for any submission on a game in which the score rolls.

I prefer Midnight Magic as well. It appears to be a more accurate representation of pinball (particularly the visuals), although that could be attributed to the fact that it was developed a few years after Video Pinball. I do agree that the biggest flaw in the game is the complete inability to nudge the ball. If there was a nudge option, then the game would be even better.

I like being able to nudge the ball in Video Pinball, but the amount of control you have in nudging means you can play for quite a long time once you know how the ball reacts to each obstacle on the playfield. I don't want to knock Video Pinball, though. It was one of my earliest 2600 titles and it provided me with years of enjoyment; I still play it occasionally.

Both games are fun, and I recommend getting both (especially since they are among the more common 2600 games), but Midnight Magic has the edge.

Oh my gawd, anyone who like Video Pinball only likes it out of some f*cked up nostalgic trip. I never had that game as a kid, so I can tell you, without the benefit of rose-colored glasses, it SUCKS!

Midnight Magic is much better, but for my money (and there was a bit of it, because it's not the easiest cartridge to find) Bumper Bash should win the prize. Pushing the buttons on the paddles to trigger the flippers is actually very cool, and contributes a LOT to the feel of playing pinball. I mean, come on, who plays pinball with a joystick?  8)

Hi Adrian ..

I agree! This showdown is biased when Bumper Bash is not included .. Plus I had to modify an Atari Video Pinball console to work with these games! There's no way I would play a video pinball game with a JOYSTICK! :P

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I remember really enjoying Video Pinball as a kid, and I still find it amusing, but Midnight Magic is a far superior game, in my opinion. I never got my hands on a copy of MM until I started collecting as an adult, and I was pretty impressed by all that it offered. I still burn plenty of hours with MM on a fairly regular basis.

I've never played Bumper Bash, but all this talk about the cart has certainly made me curious...

Bumper Bash should win the prize. Pushing the buttons on the paddles to trigger the flippers is actually very cool, and contributes a LOT to the feel of playing pinball.

Yesterday I loaded Bumper Bash into the Cuttle .. and I played it exclusively for about 30 minutes before being called away to more pressing things .. Great 2600 Pinball!

Rob Mitchell

Bumper Bash should win the prize. Pushing the buttons on the paddles to trigger the flippers is actually very cool, and contributes a LOT to the feel of playing pinball.

Yesterday I loaded Bumper Bash into the Cuttle .. and I played it exclusively for about 30 minutes before being called away to more pressing things .. Great 2600 Pinball! Only two buttons needed to adjust the tension on the ball release .. then release! A real 2 button game!

On MM and VP I have to have a joystick wired in parallel with my custom pinball deck .. to do the ball release.

Rob Mitchell

i like vp best because it was one of the first carts i got back in the day but i have played mm and found a strange thing about the game and was wondering if any one else has had the same problem.

in the middle of my game i was on ball 2 and lost it down the chute so i left to get a drink as this was the only form of a pause you can get for any 2600 game and when i came back the game was playing itself i mean totaly computer driven does it go in to a demo mode after 2 or 3 mins or do i have defective cart ?

or is it supposed to play itself ?

but it happens all the time always during a game when i have lost the first ball and am staring on the second ball .

Bumper Bash also acted flaky on me when I ran it with the osX Stella emulator on my eMac. I was playing for about 5 minutes when the ball became stuck in the inner right hand chute just inside the top entrance. No key presses got it out and I had to reset the game.

Do you think its improperly emulated or has anyone seen this in the real game?

i have no idea about bumper bash that is a cart i do not have for my aged 2600 console so i can not say whether it is the emu or not but i can safely say that in the case of midnight magic it has got to be just my copy of the cart because the rom image does not act funny on the pcae emu or the z26 emu but it would not surprise me if some of atari's programmers put in some extra features like most other companies like nintendo and sega have over the years. i think the most famous line go like this " it is not a bug it is a feature." meaning that no matter how cleaver the programmer is they can never be sure if all the bugs are out or not but who knows maybe it is a feature :)

• 18 years later...

18 year bump. Impressive. ?

I've always said midnight magic is the superior game but video pinball is my favorite. Yes nostalgia blinds me a bit but it's still fun in short bursts

And yes bumper bash is pretty good too

I really hope we get a 2600 homebrew pinball. Someone like champ games, spiceware, etc could really do something special with the tools available today for homebrew developers 

• Like 1