IGNORED

AV mod for 5200

monsterbaldy

I was thinking about modding my 2-port to use RCA video/audio cables, to get a clearer picture.

I remember seeing a tutorial on how to do that mod once, but I can't find it anywhere... anyone know where it is?

-ben

There is information in the 5200 FAQ about that, you can also buy a drop in AV mod board from at least 1 vendor (8bitdomain.com).

I did the one on the FAQ and it works good for s-video, but not so good for composite video. So, proceed at your own risk.

edit: Removing the resistor from the chroma output drastically improved both s-video & composite -- I'm very happy now.

post-7533-1191415916_thumb.jpg

post-7533-1191415924_thumb.jpg

Edited by Prodos8

I ordered a s-vid adapter from 8bitdomain, but it's been months since I recieved a "backorder" email. I can't recall if the money was already debited, but I think it was. I'm willing to wait for it, I've emailed a couple times and get the same response that they are moving them as fast as they can. Guessing they are hand packed, it's funny I work at a wire harness shop, we could probably mass produce them for him if he wanted some help, but I haven't offered yet (*cough* nortra-cables.com *cough*)

I ordered a s-vid adapter from 8bitdomain, but it's been months since I recieved a "backorder" email. I can't recall if the money was already debited, but I think it was. I'm willing to wait for it, I've emailed a couple times and get the same response that they are moving them as fast as they can. Guessing they are hand packed, it's funny I work at a wire harness shop, we could probably mass produce them for him if he wanted some help, but I haven't offered yet (*cough* nortra-cables.com *cough*)

I know. I've been waiting forever and a day for my video mod chip to arrive! I'm getting close to the point where I'd rather just run a 5200 emulator on my Dreamcast. At least there, I'd have the option to pick my own controller.

Unless they don't assemble a batch of them until they get a bunch of orders or something, I can't understand what would take so long. There can't be that many 5200 owners out there chomping at the bit to get one. I jsut can't see this being a high volume item.

They need competition. It's very easy to treat your customers like crap when you're the only game in town (just ask your local cable monopoly!), but when you're competing against a number of other businesses, you're forced to show them some respect.

That's why I'd strongly recommend that AtariAge start adding video mod kits to its store. The demand is there. The resources and technical knowledge are available. With this in mind, it shouldn't be hard for AtariAge to start manufacturing video mods, and selling them at a competitive price.

My guess is that this is not his main income, just a hobby/side line. This is probably a victim of it's own success, and real life getting in the way.

It is shitty that we have to wait so long for orders to be fulfilled, no updates as to when we can expect things to be shipped etc etc, but the products are awesome when they do arrive.

As there is no alternative (other than building your own or sending it off somewhere) we have to sit and wait.

Maybe the "out of stock" situation is to get up to date.

Try sending Mike a PM

They need competition. It's very easy to treat your customers like crap when you're the only game in town (just ask your local cable monopoly!), but when you're competing against a number of other businesses, you're forced to show them some respect.

Maybe Steve Tucker (Atarimax) needs to fill this gap? :)

Edited by tjlazah

the user here at AA longhornengineer makes awesome AV\svideo mods. Shoot him a PM. His prices are good too. Hell, I buy from him :)

heh thanks for the free advertisement :D

I have been thinking about getting some boards made (no more breadboards!) and making a bunch of erm. Cost becomes a factor but if there is a strong need for video mods I will try to get a batch made and see if I sell for the same price as my current video mods.

Edited by Longhorn Engineer

the user here at AA longhornengineer makes awesome AV\svideo mods. Shoot him a PM. His prices are good too. Hell, I buy from him :)

I have been thinking about getting some boards made (no more breadboards!) and making a bunch of erm. Cost becomes a factor but if there is a strong need for video mods I will try to get a batch made and see if I sell for the same price as my current video mods.

Do you have any information (pricing, availability) on your current mods? I got nuthin' against breadboards.

Do you have any information (pricing, availability) on your current mods? I got nuthin' against breadboards.

I would be interested in one AV mod. Can you give specifics of what it is, pics, price, etc?

If anyone is interested in a methodology change, I found the easiest way to do Atari AV mods was to skip using a board. Just clip the luma, chroma, and sync resistor leads short then solder them sticking straight up on the board. Then run the sync diode (unclipped on one side) to tie all the resistors together since they come to one point anyway. Then you just need to add the 3904, decoupling cap, and a couple more resistors onto the air circuit.

Also if you want composite, don't tie the luma and chroma outputs together like the FAQ says, tie them together before the transistor.

In case anyone would ask, I don't have any time to do this for hire. Working on a Mame cabinet and restoring a Mr&Mrs Pacman pinball machine.

If anyone is interested in a methodology change, I found the easiest way to do Atari AV mods was to skip using a board. Just clip the luma, chroma, and sync resistor leads short then solder them sticking straight up on the board. Then run the sync diode (unclipped on one side) to tie all the resistors together since they come to one point anyway. Then you just need to add the 3904, decoupling cap, and a couple more resistors onto the air circuit.

Also if you want composite, don't tie the luma and chroma outputs together like the FAQ says, tie them together before the transistor.

In case anyone would ask, I don't have any time to do this for hire. Working on a Mame cabinet and restoring a Mr&Mrs Pacman pinball machine.

You got a write up on how to do this for novices?