IGNORED

AV mod for 5200

monsterbaldy

Now if I can only convince this guy to make video kits for those of us who never want to be too far from our systems!

? you mean make the board so you can fit it?

Thats what he is doing for me. No way am I shipping 3 systems to the US and back!!

Now if I can only convince this guy to make video kits for those of us who never want to be too far from our systems!

Thats what he is doing for me. No way am I shipping 3 systems to the US and back!!

Just curuious, but are they gonna be solderless (well except the 7800 one) like 8bitdomain's mods? Or, will you need to solder them in yourself?

Just curuious, but are they gonna be solderless (well except the 7800 one) like 8bitdomain's mods? Or, will you need to solder them in yourself?

Very basic solidering skill is required. Hell a blind monkey with no hands could do it.

Very basic solidering skill is required. Hell a blind monkey with no hands could do it.

Thats me stuffed then :D

I am currently working on some PCB designs for 2600, 5200, and 7800 mods should be ready in a couple weeks I hope. This way I can get mods out even faster.

As Shawn said the mods require some basic soldering. Nothing more complicated then attaching some wires to leads. Also you must have a drill to attach the jacks to the back of the case.

Once the PCBs are done I will be making a how to video of how to install each mod.

I would like everyone currently thinking about asking for a video mod to wait till I get the PCBs ordered and in (dont worry Djpudda/mimo). Designs are almost done.

Edited by Longhorn Engineer

I am currently working on some PCB designs for 2600, 5200, and 7800 mods should be ready in a couple weeks I hope. This way I can get mods out even faster.

As Shawn said the mods require some basic soldering. Nothing more complicated then attaching some wires to leads. Also you must have a drill to attach the jacks to the back of the case.

Once the PCBs are done I will be making a how to video of how to install each mod.

I would like everyone currently thinking about asking for a video mod to wait till I get the PCBs ordered and in (dont worry Djpudda/mimo). Designs are almost done.

Since they're all basically the same you should be able to design some sort of universal board. Unless, of course, your mods are radically different then the published ones.

Since they're all basically the same you should be able to design some sort of universal board.

Correct. Each mod requires different values for resistors and the like but the layout is the same. Each board will be essentially be an Atari 7800 mod. I am currently trying to figure out how I can have both S-Video and Composite outputs coming off the same board like 8-bit does.

Correct. Each mod requires different values for resistors and the like but the layout is the same. Each board will be essentially be an Atari 7800 mod. I am currently trying to figure out how I can have both S-Video and Composite outputs coming off the same board like 8-bit does.

They're was a discussion a while back about s-video/composite mods on a ColecoVision. Strattsp was working on the problem and supposedly got it working but never really revealed how.

Here's a link to thread, maybe he could give you an idea:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104185

They're was a discussion a while back about s-video/composite mods on a ColecoVision. Strattsp was working on the problem and supposedly got it working but never really revealed how.

Here's a link to thread, maybe he could give you an idea:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104185

Yah I found that thread via google. I was looking at http://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n1/littlebrother.html since it has Composite and S-Video output. Looks like 2 resistors and a cap.

For my 7800 s-video A/V mod I've prototyped a PCB layout. I'll probably will do a DIY etch on single sided copper clad board. The design is to fit a 2.5" x 2.5" board.

BTW this layout shold work for the 5200 & 2600 as well for s-video.

post-7533-1191537579_thumb.jpg

Edited by Prodos8

For my 7800 s-video A/V mod I've prototyped a PCB layout. I'll probably will do a DIY etch on single sided copper clad board. The design is to fit a 2.5" x 2.5" board.

unfortunately it doesn't include the CD4050 that I have started using in my mod. I am going to aim for a single side solution like yours but it is proving difficult because of how the CD4050 is set up (inputs and outputs on the same side of the chip). Ideally I would like the wires that connect the board to the atari to be on one side of the board. Each wire should be color coded to ease anyone that would like to do a self install (also I don't want to label each wire). The outputs will be on the narrow end of the board and they will be either color coded as well.

I've put a good deal of thought into the design of the board (ease of install and the like) I just need the time to design the dam thing (tonight hopefully!).

I am going to try and get about 100 of them made in the beginning. If any of yall' know where I can get a small batch of the boards made for a reasonable price then I should be set. Boards will be single sided (one side solder, one side component) and needs a silk screen on the component side.

unfortunately it doesn't include the CD4050 that I have started using in my mod. I am going to aim for a single side solution like yours but it is proving difficult because of how the CD4050 is set up (inputs and outputs on the same side of the chip). Ideally I would like the wires that connect the board to the atari to be on one side of the board. Each wire should be color coded to ease anyone that would like to do a self install (also I don't want to label each wire). The outputs will be on the narrow end of the board and they will be either color coded as well.

I've put a good deal of thought into the design of the board (ease of install and the like) I just need the time to design the dam thing (tonight hopefully!).

I am going to try and get about 100 of them made in the beginning. If any of yall' know where I can get a small batch of the boards made for a reasonable price then I should be set. Boards will be single sided (one side solder, one side component) and needs a silk screen on the component side.

Does the 4050 really increase quality to any degree? From what I've read you might as well leave it out as the resistors and caps are buffer enough. I'm not IEEE though so who am I to say.

For ease of install, you might want to look at single row headers and space them accordingly to allow direct plug in to the TIA/GTIA. Then put a socket on top for the chip to go in. Just my $0.02.

Futurlec.com can fab/desing pcb for a very reasonable price -- they are A1 solid by me.

Edited by Prodos8

Does the 4050 really increase quality to any degree? From what I've read you might as well leave it out as the resistors and caps are buffer enough. I'm not IEEE though so who am I to say.

For ease of install, you might want to look at single row headers and space them accordingly to allow direct plug in to the TIA/GTIA. Then put a socket on top for the chip to go in. Just my $0.02.

The 4050 makes a difference when you move into LCD panels (from what I can gauge on my TV). On normal CRT TVs you can't really see a difference. I would rather include it in the mod just to be safe. Plus they don't cost a lot. I have an engineering mind so I don't see the $0.50 per board dent in the bottom line as a deterrent to get the best product made.

I was thinking about adding the headers much like 8-bits mods but theres a flaw in that not all TIA chips are removable. I want to make a universal mod that will work in any 2600/5200/7800. Plus its a pain in the ass to remove that chip in the 7800 version. Tacking 10 wires onto resistor leads should be pretty simple to do.

The 4050 makes a difference when you move into LCD panels (from what I can gauge on my TV). On normal CRT TVs you can't really see a difference. I would rather include it in the mod just to be safe. Plus they don't cost a lot. I have an engineering mind so I don't see the $0.50 per board dent in the bottom line as a deterrent to get the best product made.

I was thinking about adding the headers much like 8-bits mods but theres a flaw in that not all TIA chips are removable. I want to make a universal mod that will work in any 2600/5200/7800. Plus its a pain in the ass to remove that chip in the 7800 version. Tacking 10 wires onto resistor leads should be pretty simple to do.

I'll take your word for the LCD/Plasma/? TVs as I only have conventional CRTs. I'm quite happy (up to 36") with them btw.

Even with the stupid 4050 a single sided board must be possible.

I'll take your word for the LCD/Plasma/? TVs as I only have conventional CRTs. I'm quite happy (up to 36") with them btw.

Even with the stupid 4050 a single sided board must be possible.

Yah I figured it out. Just have to use some jumper wire to cross over the component side of the board. It will be kinda redundant but it will make the board more orderly and easier to make.