IGNORED

dump my Atari OS ROM

twh/f2

Ok, what we have here is a Rev02 rom that does like to play with emulator patches and it's had a language transfusion to Swedish done on it in the international character set as the original Rev01 600XL Swedish rom had done to it. Further I put in the Fast Math package by Marslett so that BASIC programs might run faster too. It all seems to work aces here so I'll let you give it whirl P1r. Your job is to check the spelling and workings of especially the Swedish side since I know little of that part. If you want it to show green bars in the rom test of the self test you will have to disable the emulator patches, otherwise you will get red rom bars there. And this is using Atari800Win only, I don't have another emulator installed and I certainly don't have a Mac.

Rev2swe.zip

So now I'm thinking what about the real 600XL? Wouldn't Hias' HiSpeed patch work there? After some reading from rdea6's link to Hias' patch files, I see that inside those zip files is the DumpOS file and many others that describe how this patch is overlaying the international character set in the first place so no, we can not do that unless we swap character sets and make it operate as a pure Swedish machine. What do you think? I would go ahead and do that, but the above version still needs a good work out by someone who at least speaks and reads Swedish. Let me know if you are interested in such a creature P1r. The hard work is over with, doing this 2nd version for real machines would be very easy now.

So to recap, it's shift + control + 1 for english at any time and it's + 2 for swedish. Poke 756,244 for english and poke 756,204 for swedish, there is no more use of 06FFh. In the 2nd version for real machines this functionality would need to be removed entirely, I'm thinking. This rom could be used on a real machine as is which is certainly possible, but it won't work with Hias' HiSpeed patch applied to it.

There were shifts in the code between Rev01 and Rev02 in some places which were at times hard to keep on top of, so file compares done with this rom against Rev01 will show a certain amount of wildness going on. A good deal of this shift was in the self test screen itself which is all about surprisingly, at least to me it was. And then of course there is the different keyboard layout at work too.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry again for taking so long to get back on this. I finally got round to getting a Windows machine with Atari800WinPlus. Unfortunately, I can't get the ROM working at all, either with or without SIO patch... =(

Will other roms work there? And this rom should work fine in your Mac emulator too, be sure to try it there. It works great here, so I would assume the same at your house and wonder if you have enough experience in windows to get a basic emulator going there, might be trying to mount it as a wrong file type - how can I know? No worries about the time lag, life gets in the way here too.

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, hunmanik said:

I was reading over this thread and remembered this Finnish 600XL manual that seems to describe similar localized OS functions:

http://www.atarimania.com/documents/atari_600xl_manual_finnish.pdf

Ooh, I assume there is a place to find all these exotic ROMs? Would be cool to try out.

As a follow-up to my own issues above I can just say that it is probably an issue with the emulator I was using. The Swedish ROM worked just fine when I tried it elsewhere and is now my default ROM image in my EclaireXL as well.

• Like 1