IGNORED

Wireless lynx prototype.

roland p

I just digged up my wireless lynx interface I made 10 years ago.

Would there be anyone interested in such a thing?

It does work at the moment, but I've to aim it very precisely. Then it goes up to 3 meters (about 10 feet). I'm now working on a ASK modulated version (same technic as your remote control) with better performance.

post-15728-1190272308_thumb.jpg

Edited by roland p

Artlover,

I've considered RF, but there are some issues and I havn't found one that will suit:

1. Speed must be 62500 bps

2. Be able to receive just after it has send (That's also why those all in one irda modules do not work)

3. Not too expensive

There is such chips available from Maxtor for automotive car keys. I was looking at http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4754 as one alternative.

--

Karri

There is such chips available from Maxtor for automotive car keys. I was looking at http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4754 as one alternative.

That looks really good! Do you know where I can order those?

Sure. Just fill in the registration form at Maxim-ic.com and request your free samples of the chips. Actually I already got a chip for testing but due to lack of time...

--

Karri

Artlover,

I've considered RF, but there are some issues and I havn't found one that will suit:

2. Be able to receive just after it has send (That's also why those all in one irda modules do not work)

3. Not too expensive

I know a bunch of ham radio users, and the concept has always intrigued me. Instead of RF as we know it, why not a modem-like circuit (or a modem) and one of those cheap-o little AAA powered radios? Data goes from the device (Lynx or other) to the modem to the radio to the other setup. I've seen other projects done before that the speed can be dialed down to the speed of the port on the device. Actually more like translated to the sped of the radio signal, but I think you get my drift.

I love using radio waves:)

Nathan

Artlover,

3. Not too expensive

I know a bunch of ham radio users, and the concept has always intrigued me. Instead of RF as we know it, why not a modem-like circuit (or a modem) and one of those cheap-o little AAA powered radios? Data goes from the device (Lynx or other) to the modem to the radio to the other setup. I've seen other projects done before that the speed can be dialed down to the speed of the port on the device. Actually more like translated to the sped of the radio signal, but I think you get my drift.

Nathan

The nice idea is to have a '1' as silence and '0' as RF. In this way you can broadcast your data to lots of Lynxes just like the ComLynx does. To do this you need a RF-chip with 100% ASK modulation (like the Maxim chip). A chip like this knows nothing about baud rates. When the signal is down it broadcasts RF and when the signal is up it is silent and listens.

--

Karri (oh2bek)

About IR, can't the beam be widened to fan out using a lens like this |) and be gathered from a lens like this (| using a set of sending and receiving led's? This way, the signal get through without it having to be aimed precisely. Sorry, I forget the correct names of the types of lenses. Hope you can read ascii :) I made a picture...

I remember the Cybiko blunder, too, hope this goes better.

Nathan

post-7404-1190311256_thumb.jpg

Edited by nathanallan

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

I don't know how good those AAA powered radios are... Anyway there are some problems with it wich the MAX7030 chip hasn't, I think, like karri said.

As far as I can see, the MAX7030 uses OOK, On-Off-Keying. Which means modulate 100% when sending logic 1's, modulate 0% (do nothing) when sending logic 0's. That's really nice because there are only 2 state's for the listerens too look at: noise is nothing, carrier (433,92MHz) is data.

With AAA Powered radio's + modem there are the following states:

1. send nothing (the others will receive noise

2. Start sending (the others will receive silence)

3. Start modulating the data

That would make things unnessesary complicated.

And then there are the problems like switching speed between send/receive

Wasn't the Lynx originally designed to wirelessly communicate with other systems? I guess the designers decided they had bit off more than they could chew and scrapped the idea at the last minute.

Yep, it's called the 'redeye'.

About IR, can't the beam be widened to fan out using a lens like this |) and be gathered from a lens like this (| using a set of sending and receiving led's? This way, the signal get through without it having to be aimed precisely. Sorry, I forget the correct names of the types of lenses. Hope you can read ascii I made a picture...

The led's I use at the moment have a lens in it which narrows the beam to 30degrees. I could look for led's with a an other lens/wider beam. Or use some more led's for sending, each in a different direction, and a wide angle beam for the receiving led.

But RF would be so cool. Just attach a wire...

I was just suggesting, cause packet radio is so intriguing. I gotta get back into that, I had a CB that I used to mess with, and my buddy had one 7 miles away. We would chat, that was about it at the time.

What I meant was to spread out the beam, and then refocus it on the other end. Just lenses, not replace the led's. I know what you mean though, it would be over complicated(the cheap-o radio thing). Still a neat project to make them go over RF.

Nathan

That looks really good! Do you know where I can order those?
Sure. Just fill in the registration form at Maxim-ic.com and request your free samples of the chips. Actually I already got a chip for testing but due to lack of time...

Well, I just requested some samples too. No idea what I'm going to use them for yet, but can't resist free stuff. :P :cool:

I was just suggesting, cause packet radio is so intriguing. I gotta get back into that, I had a CB that I used to mess with, and my buddy had one 7 miles away. We would chat, that was about it at the time.

What I meant was to spread out the beam, and then refocus it on the other end. Just lenses, not replace the led's. I know what you mean though, it would be over complicated(the cheap-o radio thing). Still a neat project to make them go over RF.

Nathan

I also did CB packet radio @1200 baud, imagine that! Nowadays with 20Mb internet connections I don't see any reason to go back! :D

I found an Collector Lens for the receiving part. If I go IR, this will probably be the way to go.

post-15728-1190481322_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Heh, couldn't you wire up one of those wireless radio transmitters like for an MP3 player (to transmit to a car radio, or technically any other) to the output channels of the comlynx, and wire a cheap handheld radio to the input channels of the comlynx? The radio and transmitter don't have to understand what it's saying/hearing to work, it's just got to pass the info along.

Both can be had for cheap (or free from the right places) and the mods would be easy to make...if any were needed to be made.

• 7 years later...

It does work at the moment, but I've to aim it very precisely. Then it goes up to 3 meters (about 10 feet). I'm now working on a ASK modulated version (same technic as your remote control) with better performance.

Would there be anyone interested in such a

thing?

10 years ago or not, you dit an incredible job of making a wireless adaptor for the lynx,this is fantastic,concidering atari scrapped the idea of an builtin ir adaptor called red eye to play wireless either, with this you proved it's still possible,it tout that there will be tooo much latency to be ever possible, but no,it is possible???

Would there be anyone interested in such a

thing?

10 years ago or not, you dit an incredible job of making a wireless adaptor for the lynx,this is fantastic,concidering atari scrapped the idea of an builtin ir adaptor called red eye to play wireless either, with this you proved it's still possible,it tout that there will be tooo much latency to be ever possible, but no,it is possible???

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 9/20/2007 at 3:16 AM, roland p said:

post-15728-1190272308_thumb.jpg

Any new developments here? This project is very interesting.

There is actually a really interesting new chip on the market. STM32Wx series. The chip has a built-in Bluetooth/OpenThread/Z3.0 or LoRa/sigfox/OOK support, a Cortex-M4 CPU and it has DMA channels that can handle reading stuff to a ring buffer at Lynx speeds.

Last month I did some developement on a similar device and was impressed by the speed it could maintain.

Dev kits are around €50 but the chip itself is affordable. In volumes around €5/chip.

I believe that a single chip OOK version would fit the bill of a good wireless Lynx adapter. Perhaps formed as a lipstick plugged in the ComLynx port. It does also have USB support so you could make one end look as a ComLynx plug and the other end as a mini-USB. Then you could plug it in a PC or a Lynx. Perhaps even use it as a PC<->Lynx gateway.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, karri said:

There is actually a really interesting new chip on the market. STM32Wx series. The chip has a built-in Bluetooth/OpenThread/Z3.0 or LoRa/sigfox/OOK support, a Cortex-M4 CPU and it has DMA channels that can handle reading stuff to a ring buffer at Lynx speeds.

Last month I did some developement on a similar device and was impressed by the speed it could maintain.

Dev kits are around €50 but the chip itself is affordable. In volumes around €5/chip.

I believe that a single chip OOK version would fit the bill of a good wireless Lynx adapter. Perhaps formed as a lipstick plugged in the ComLynx port. It does also have USB support so you could make one end look as a ComLynx plug and the other end as a mini-USB. Then you could plug it in a PC or a Lynx. Perhaps even use it as a PC<->Lynx gateway.

That would be amazing! ComLynxed games are great for events like PRGE (although I didn’t bring my own Lynx), but being able to play multiplayer games through wifi would be mindblowing. I’d really love to see this happen.