IGNORED

Atari 2600 - Records !!

ROBERT

Hello fellow gamers:

I'm still stunned over StanJr's announcement of a 200+ score on "Entombed", one of the deceptively simple but very much harder titles for the 2600 platform.

Having tried for hours to get no higher than 102 or 103 (I forget which), this is one heck of a score indeed. At 5 points per stage, that's an entire 20+ stages past me and 10+ stages past Alan Hewston's 156 or 165 world record at the moment.

So...I advise all 2600 gamers to take the time to peruse the Twin Galaxies database and see if any of your old favourites that you were good at are within your reach. Maybe not even to get the world record, but maybe you'll be happy being #2, or any ranking for that matter.

The fun itself in submitting the scores is self evident. It's more than just getting the satisfaction of being listed, it's a way of sharing your skillset and achievements with fellow gamers across the globe.

I'd like to get the ball rolling by suggesting a game that I personally happen to have the world record on...at least for the moment. The game is "Coconuts" and my record is 3,455 points. Another is "Frankenstein's Monster" and my record is 4,480 points. Decent little titles with decent challenges. Coconuts is speed-based, while FM is a jumping game.

Also, if there is an Atari 2600 title with no record as of yet, that's the easiest ticket to getting on the scoreboard of all !!

Robert T Mruczek

Twin Galaxies - Editor and Chief referee

Star Wars classic arcade champion

(212) 366-3036 (work-day)

rmruczek@doremus.com (work E-MAIL)

Hello FretWobbler:

That's a call that I believe is best made by senior TG official and worldwide Atari and Intellivision editor, Mr Ron Corcoran.

Let's await his reply.

Robert T Mruczek

I got ya beat on Coconuts too. My high is barely above yours at 3560. I Keep a notebook full of my high scores (and this is one of the toughest to achieve). I hit 3385 on March 6 and then went on to beat it with 3560 on March 15 of this year. I will try again and add the performance (should I be able to do it again) to the Entombed tape!

Wow! This record thing IS fun.

Thanks

Hello StanJr:

Coconuts is indeed a fun one. I'm always never worried when beat by a fellow gamer...it tends to get my competetive juices going again on a title I've put aside...time permitting, of course.

I suggest you record one here as well. A score over 3,500 is indeed awesome. I seriously doubt anyone can last to 5,000 or more, but ya never know.

Robert T Mruczek

5000! NOW you've really given me something to shoot for. I had a full umbrella/hat/head combo going into 3000, and then lost them all in nearly a few seconds! So I bet if I keep at it and get in one of my semi-famous "grooves" I'll break that 5K mark!

You are right about the competitive nature of this stuff. If the current record is reasonable, it really give you something to shoot for!

Thanks again

Before I joined the TG crew I had fun challenging Ron with alot of 2600 titles - Gorf, Carnival and Dig Dug were our battle grounds (I lost all of them - damn you Ron!!!! :D ) Then again, 3 hours of Gorf and you feel like you beat it no matter what someone else got!

Then we got into 7800 and 5200 challenges as well :)

Tis very fun!

Dont forgot the poor old Colecovision!

Yes, Twin Galaxies will accept scores for homebrew games. It is my opinion that they are just as good (and in some cases better) than commercially produced games and therefore warrant recognition. I do ask, since it is far more difficult for the masses to videotape a homebrew game, that all submissions be sent via an .avi produced by PCAEWin 2.4+. If you own a device that allows you to play the game on a real VCS, then by all means, please feel free to submit your score on vhs cassette.

All this stuff about score records for games sounds interesting, especially about the PCAE .AVI files as I only own about 110 Atari 2600 games. :D

I'll have to go check it all out and see if I have a chance on any of the games. ;)

Yes, Twin Galaxies will accept scores for homebrew games

Great! :D

Now I'm waiting for the first submitted Thrust high scores or a perfect Jammed game #599! ;)

Are we to assume Thomas will be banned from submitting scores for his own games ;)

That must be an unfair advantage :D

Adam

Hello Goochman:

I think I might have taken a FEW scores from you, but definitely not Dig Dug as a chimp with a paw in traction can beat me at that title (read...I totally stink at it)

As for ColecoVision, rest assured that I will be revisiting that one shortly. I have an unresolved goal to be the world's 1st player to beat level 9 at Monty's Revenge (I came close if you recall, reaching very bottom of level 8), and also to revisit Mr Do and Tut now that I'm a better gamer at both due to MAME practice.

Expect some CV scores from me later in the summer, meaning August.

Robert T Mruczek

You've played Coconuts that long?? Jeez, you must be the only two guys, besides the designer's mom! No wonder you hold the high scores! :D

TRIVIA! Brought to you by Chris's Fun Facts : Coconuts was supposed to be part of a much larger game. They released it "as is" because the market didn't look like it was going to hold out long enough. Y'know -- the old Jungle Hunt trick, where you try to make a few dumb, simplex games look like one big game by sticking them all together.

I'd love to contribute, as I've beaten quite a few "#1" high scores posted on TG; but I don't have the wherewithall for taping a 2600 game. BUMMER. Maybe someday.

I've often thought about buying the stuff I need, and then making a video of myself beating all of the "beatable" VCS games, just to show people how to do it who haven't beat all the games yet. The only one I don't have the patience to keep at until I beat it is Frankenstein's Monster. I could tape a "tutorial" for everything else that's "beatable."

I don't know how in-demand such a video would be, even if I sent it to people for free. Anyway, there are my thoughts, just to clutter up the thread a bit. ;)

CF

As for ColecoVision, rest assured that I will be revisiting that one shortly. I have an unresolved goal to be the world's 1st player to beat level 9 at Monty's Revenge (I came close if you recall, reaching very bottom of level ,

Actually I recall Kevtris, (yes the same guy who made Kevtris for the Colecovision) only just recently conquered Montezumas Revenge to level 9 and past it. I think I remember him saying it the levels were all black and there were no longer any torches but my memory might be failing me there. He can be reached pretty regularly on irc (efnet on #rgvc) if you want to ask him directly. :)

Also I forget if he did it on the 5200 or Colecovision version....

Hi there!

I've some questions about this.

- Maybe I'm not finding the right location as to where the this info is hidden, but does it make a difference, wether you're playing the PAL or the NTSC version of a 2600 game?

- And are scores played on emulators valid? Someone mentioned AVI recording on the PCAE emulator, is this a valid proof of a record?

- And what would a record in the category 'Outlaw - Factory Settings' look like? - Killing the non-moving second player 10:0? Do you accept my word on this record or do I need to send a prooving video? :D

Greetings,

Manuel

MOST of your questions can be answered on the How do I sumit my score page of TG, for specific details about a game you should search for the game and check out the record requirements.

I just checked all of that out when submitting my Entombed score.

I do enjoy playing and submitting scores on TG also. For the guy above who said he didn't own the equipment for making a video: all you need to do is hook a VCR up between your Atari and your TV. Press record and start playing! 8)