IGNORED

Pepsi Invaders/Coke Wins Auctions in the Past Year or So..

DreamTR

I am not so sure.....if a Pepsi cart is going for around $1000 right now, the box is not worth $4000 (considering a $5000 price tag) and I have seen better Coke Wins boxes than the one offered. I have paid lower for boxes that are a lot rarer and better shape than the Coke box in question. For a mint Coke box with cart, I'd say $3500-$4000 would be a fair price (depending on need and season). Just my two cents. ;)

I think a loose cart is closer to 1500 and how many boxes are known? When a loose cart sells for 1500 what do the complete copies get? Only one I can think of is Video Life and thats 5k

There aren't many rarer boxes out there. The rarity section lists Video Life with 9 known boxes and this one with 5.

Also remember that Video Life is a unique title....Coke Wins is a hack. Besides, I think there are more like 10 or more Coke Wins boxes. Lastly, Video Life probably still commands the 5k (or close to it) but what adds value to Video Life over the Coke Wins is that the Video Life also came with instructions and is more colorful. Coke Wins is just a white box with a small stamp. Think of it this way, will a blank painting with just Picasso's signature command the same amount money as a complete Picasso portrait with his signature as well.....I don't think so. Again, just my two cents. :)

Hmm, You know the Gold NWC cart has no box at all. You also know that the Gold NWC cart is also a hack. In fact the Gold NWC cart has no instructions. But for some strange reason it is the most valuable NTSC cart. My point is this. The fact that it is a hack and has a plain box means nothing.

Edited by homerwannabee

I am not so sure.....if a Pepsi cart is going for around $1000 right now, the box is not worth $4000 (considering a $5000 price tag) and I have seen better Coke Wins boxes than the one offered. I have paid lower for boxes that are a lot rarer and better shape than the Coke box in question. For a mint Coke box with cart, I'd say $3500-$4000 would be a fair price (depending on need and season). Just my two cents. ;)

I think a loose cart is closer to 1500 and how many boxes are known? When a loose cart sells for 1500 what do the complete copies get? Only one I can think of is Video Life and thats 5k

There aren't many rarer boxes out there. The rarity section lists Video Life with 9 known boxes and this one with 5.

Also remember that Video Life is a unique title....Coke Wins is a hack. Besides, I think there are more like 10 or more Coke Wins boxes. Lastly, Video Life probably still commands the 5k (or close to it) but what adds value to Video Life over the Coke Wins is that the Video Life also came with instructions and is more colorful. Coke Wins is just a white box with a small stamp. Think of it this way, will a blank painting with just Picasso's signature command the same amount money as a complete Picasso portrait with his signature as well.....I don't think so. Again, just my two cents. :)

Hmm, You know the Gold NWC cart has no box at all. You also know that the Gold NWC cart is also a hack. In fact the Gold NWC cart has no instructions. But for some strange reason it is the most valuable NTSC cart. My point is this. The fact that it is a hack and has a plain box means nothing.

Yes carts are one thing boxes are another. But with the boxes, a Coke Wins box alone does not cost $4000....that's the argument.

And, I bet you that a Pepsi Invaders cat right now will not fetch more than $1000.

homerwannabee: A Hack? How is the Gold NWC a hack? A hack of what? It's a contest cart for the biggest video game tournament the country has ever seen. Anyone who knew anything about Nintendo knew what this cart meant. Heck, The Wizard is one big marketing ploy based on this whole thing. Definitely the most in demand "holy grail" title there is....

homerwannabee: A Hack? How is the Gold NWC a hack? A hack of what? It's a contest cart for the biggest video game tournament the country has ever seen.

True, you'd be hard-pressed to call it a "hack", but I simply think homer meant he believes because it's not an original title, it thus wouldn't be of interest to as many collectors (I couldn't give a rip about it myself).

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

homerwannabee: A Hack? How is the Gold NWC a hack? A hack of what? It's a contest cart for the biggest video game tournament the country has ever seen. Anyone who knew anything about Nintendo knew what this cart meant. Heck, The Wizard is one big marketing ploy based on this whole thing. Definitely the most in demand "holy grail" title there is....

Thank you. I just wish people who collect Atari would have a fraction of the same Outrage when Atlantis II or Pepsi Invaders are called hacks. Sometimes it seems this forum gets bogged down in words like Hack. Did you notice how I also called it the most valuable NTSC cart. :ponder:

Yes carts are one thing boxes are another. But with the boxes, a Coke Wins box alone does not cost $4000....that's the argument.

And, I bet you that a Pepsi Invaders cat right now will not fetch more than $1000.

Thanks for saying something like that when I am trying to sell my Pepsi Invaders $1,100. The same price I paid for it by the way. Your the best. :cool: :D

A pepsi invaders cat may not fetch more than $1000 but i think a pepsi invaders cart will meow :rolling:

well, I'd say 5k sounds a bit steep, but then again coke wins is also a title with a lot of allure. I'd say there's only a hand full of atari carts that will break 2k. When you go above 2k, you're dealing with a select group of people and depending on who's buying , who's selling , and at what time you're selling, things can get crazy. It's even hard to put a solid price on these carts. Video life may sell for 5k, then 7k, then someone might get a deal at 4k. It's mostly about timing and circumstances when you talk about the big stuff. Anyway the following are the cart I think may have staying power above 2k.

Video Life

Coke Wins

Atlantis II

and maybe Air Raid

other than that I doubt many of the other carts would break 2k.

All these carts above have one or more thing working for them to command that price.

I'd like to see what a complete Music Machine would bring. not sure if it'd reach 2k, but that one I haven't seen in a while.

As for which one of these will bring the most, I'd say Video Life and Coke Wins have the best potential.

Video life has already set the bar at 5k, and Coke wins has a great story behind it and has broke the 2k barrier already.

I'd say that Atlantis II is probably just as expensive as coke wins atm, but Atlantis II looks just like any other Atlantis cart and many big collectors don't care that much for the cart itself. I'd say the copies with the paper work and a little more of the story behind this cart could bring a ton, but the cart only copies have probably peaked.

Air Raid....see the many thread to see Air Raid argument ...Love it or Hate it. Legitimate or Hack, this cart will command close to 2k and if the allure surrounding it continues, I could see this break upwards too... This title also has the ability to break down too, if more people join the hack side of things.

Also some possible corrections

Kizuna Encounter English for the Neo Geo AES is the most expensive cart. It sold for 12.5 or 13k...Not sure if it was NTSC strickley or if it was PAL. It was a Euro release , but Euro releases were playable of US NTSC consoles.

Oh and on the 2 recent NWC Gold sales, one went for 8.5 K and the other went for OVER 9k (I know who this sold to, but haven't talked to him lately) I think it may have broke 10k.

I'd say that Atlantis II is probably just as expensive as coke wins atm, but Atlantis II looks just like any other Atlantis cart and many big collectors don't care that much for the cart itself. I'd say the copies with the paper work and a little more of the story behind this cart could bring a ton, but the cart only copies have probably peaked.

I think a complete Atlantis II and a complete Coke Wins are pretty close to equal and by that I mean 5k range not 1 million.

Air Raid....see the many thread to see Air Raid argument ...Love it or Hate it. Legitimate or Hack, this cart will command close to 2k and if the allure surrounding it continues, I could see this break upwards too... This title also has the ability to break down too, if more people join the hack side of things.

Only way this stays a 2k cart is if Wonder continues to pay that much. Like the Music Machine record and the Beagle Bros carts this one just doesn't have as many chasers as it once did.

Kizuna Encounter English for the Neo Geo AES is the most expensive cart. It sold for 12.5 or 13k...Not sure if it was NTSC strickley or if it was PAL. It was a Euro release , but Euro releases were playable of US NTSC consoles.

Oh and on the 2 recent NWC Gold sales, one went for 8.5 K and the other went for OVER 9k (I know who this sold to, but haven't talked to him lately) I think it may have broke 10k.

Neo geo fans are nuts. But its a small pool. NWC will win out over time as the most expensive cart NTSC PAL or otherwise it just needs the time.

BTW it was 8.5k and 9k not over 9k

I think a complete Atlantis II and a complete Coke Wins are pretty close to equal and by that I mean 5k range not 1 million.

Only way this stays a 2k cart is if Wonder continues to pay that much. Like the Music Machine record and the Beagle Bros carts this one just doesn't have as many chasers as it once did.

Neo geo fans are nuts. But its a small pool. NWC will win out over time as the most expensive cart NTSC PAL or otherwise it just needs the time.

I think the 9K one might have went for over 9K and closer to 10K, so that was my mistake...

I think the 9K one might have went for over 9K and closer to 10K, so that was my mistake...

I guess it doesn't really matter either way. The trend is that this hack will be the most valuable cart when the kids who played the original Nintendo are old enough to afford it. Atlantis II and Coke Wins are fun games with cool stories but the NWC was a nationwide event with coverage in the news and even had a movie based on it.

I guess it doesn't really matter either way. The trend is that this hack will be the most valuable cart when the kids who played the original Nintendo are old enough to afford it. Atlantis II and Coke Wins are fun games with cool stories but the NWC was a nationwide event with coverage in the news and even had a movie based on it.

Of course there was no movie. But it needs to be noted that Atlantis II was a nationwide event. In fact every box of Atlantis has the Defend Atlantis contest form in it. That is a million people right there knowing about the contest. Also Imagic actually advertised this contest in major video game magazines at the time. And there was even a newspaper article or two about the contest too. If you go to the Atlantis II registry you will see a contestent that actually posted a newspaper article about him as a winner of one of the carts. Atlantis II was far from a regional thing like Pepsi Invaders was.

Of course there was no movie. But it needs to be noted that Atlantis II was a nationwide event. In fact every box of Atlantis has the Defend Atlantis contest form in it. That is a million people right there knowing about the contest. Also Imagic actually advertised this contest in major video game magazines at the time. And there was even a newspaper article or two about the contest too. If you go to the Atlantis II registry you will see a contestent that actually posted a newspaper article about him as a winner of one of the carts. Atlantis II was far from a regional thing like Pepsi Invaders was.

I guess it was run nationwide but I wouldn't call it a nationwide event. NWC had regional and final tournaments in the US and Canada. It was run by Nintendo not one of the 3rd party software developers. Swordquest was the most known about Atari tournament and is as close as you can get from Atari as far as the impact the NWC had. I didn't know about the Atlantis tournament until I started collecting. I'm sure some people here do remember but it was hard to escape the hype of NWC at the time. It would almost seem like every kid at the time knew about it. The NWC was a part of pop culture.

I guess it was run nationwide but I wouldn't call it a nationwide event. NWC had regional and final tournaments in the US and Canada. It was run by Nintendo not one of the 3rd party software developers. Swordquest was the most known about Atari tournament and is as close as you can get from Atari as far as the impact the NWC had. I didn't know about the Atlantis tournament until I started collecting. I'm sure some people here do remember but it was hard to escape the hype of NWC at the time. It would almost seem like every kid at the time knew about it. The NWC was a part of pop culture.

With Atari though they never gave away the Swordquest cart to the contestants. But you could also argue that video game and arcade contests were huge during this time. Remember Todd Rogers was actually employed by Activision to help promote their games. The Atlantis II cart represents what that era was all about. Although it was not as huge as the NWC Gold cart. It was still the first cart given away to contestants. I personally feel that the fact that Atlantis II preceded the NWC Gold cart is pretty cool in it's own right. The NWC maybe the mother of all video game contest carts, but the Atlantis II is the grandfather. :twisted: I personally am alright with the NWC Gold cart being the most expensive, but I feel the Atlantis II cart should be worth at least half of what the NWC Gold cart is worth.

Just compare these carts and you will see what I mean

The defend Atlantis contest was mentioned briefly in a documentary. The NWC had a movie revolve around it. Edge to NWC Gold

People played at home all over the country and sent in their scores. Nintendo staged live contests all around the country ending with one big event. Again Edge to NWC Gold

The Atlantis II cart was the first contest cart given out and came out in 1982. The NWC Gold cart came out in 1990. Edge to Atlantis II.

The Atlantis II cart came with a shirt, Box sticker, Documents, and letters. The NWC Gold cart did not come with anything. Edge to Atlantis II.

There are 13 Atlantis II carts that have popped up. There are about 13 NWC Gold carts that have popped up. Tie.

The Atlantis II cart is a Rom. The NWC Gold cart is an Eprom. No edge at the moment for either cart. Should be interesting to see what happens in 20 years though.

As you can see the Atlantis II cart puts up a good fight when it comes to the NWC Gold cart. That's why in my opinion it should go for at least half of what the NWC Gold cart goes for. Oh yeah, and one last thing. I think it's ironic that I am having this argument with a guy who goes by the handle Buyatari. ;)

Edit: and before DreamTR comes out with the fact that Famicom contest carts were before the NWC. I do know one thing. Famicom came out in 1983. So the Atlantis II cart was before any of those carts.

Edited by homerwannabee

Everyone has their own opinion. So buy what you want.

I can say that I owned all 3, Coke wins, Atlantis II and the gold NWC and only felt like keeping the gold NWC. The Atlantis II cart is a rare competition cart but I didn't feel the whole "represents what that era was all about" at all. I would say that if those Atlantis II carts were not handed out then the competition wouldn't get much talk at all and many myself included wouldn't have known about the event. Swordquest was a competition that represented the era to me and its one which still holds the interest of many Atari collectors.

There just is no Atari cart equivalent to the NWC cart. Atlantis II is the closest because it is a competition cart but it just wasn't as big an event as the NWC. I don't think the planners at Nintendo were even aware of the Atlantis competition. If they looked at any previous competition to get ideas from it would have been Swordquest. If any competition is the grandfather that would be it.

Edited by Buyatari

Regardless of any of this, Nintendo at its peak>>>>Atari 2600 leaps and bounds with the NWC. The Atlantis II cart just does not have that same allure. It's all not just a simple EPROM, it's a special board with NES EVENT on it that is pretty complex. The lore around the cart alone is quit mystifying. I like the Atlantis II with the paperwork (but that night scene Atlantis I label and dot matrix style typed Atlantis II turn me off), but as is the case with Coke Wins, the duplication process for authenticity and Coke Wins lack of a label just does not do it for me from a personal standpoint...I had the opportunity to buy this game, and I just could not see myself spending the money on a white box with sticker, and labeless cart.....just not in me to do it...

Ahh, good enough. Though one point to Buyatari. I would say that as an item the Atlantis II cart does not most represent the period. This would go to one of the four awesome Swordquest prizes. I think though it was unfortunate that Atari did not make and give away a contest cart to the contestants. I really feel that this was a huge mistake on their part. So as an item no Atlantis II gets trumped by the sword and other items there. But as a cart, yeah, that is the closest cart to representing the period. You guys have conceded that the Atlantis II has some relevance as a contest cart, and that is good enough for me. Enjoy your NWC gold carts guys. :cool: :D I will be off enjoying my Atlantis II carts. :cool: :D