IGNORED

Super Archiver

ndary

I posted another page on my on growing little ATARI web page, this time its on the 1050 Super Archiver upgrade: http://ataripal.googlepages.com/superarchiver

I have an uncompleted scan of the super Archiver 'scan-it' instructions.. does anyone have completed scanning the instructions?

stay tuned.. more nice stuff will be up soon.

ndary

I posted another page on my on growing little ATARI web page, this time its on the 1050 Super Archiver upgrade: http://ataripal.googlepages.com/superarchiver

I have an uncompleted scan of the super Archiver 'scan-it' instructions.. does anyone have completed scanning the instructions?

ndary

I'm pretty sure I have all the docs on the Super Archiver. What is it you need?? Also, can you post a larger scan of the schematic??

i would like to add the docs to the super archiver utility (not just the instellation instructions)...

if you click on the schematics you should get a bigger image.. if you need larger scan then this.. let me know and i will send it

yes thanks/ the numbers are blurry.

Interesting thing about the SA. only 2k of rom is visible at any time. First thing done is to copy the hidden half to the ram chip.

Both the rom and ram are configured so that the top half of the rom then the ram chip appear in the top 4K of address space for the 6507.

Very tricky.

James

Hello Nir

Years ago, somebody at CSS (probably Chris, Ron or Bob) sent me 6 sheets of paper, with "Notes on the Super Archiver! 3.x2". Which start like this: "The following is the changes/additions that have been made to the original Archiver/Editor 1.0 program. Users should familiarize themselves with the original Archiver/Editor documentation before reading these notes."

I can try to scan it for you, if you like.

Greetings

Mathy

ndary

Thank you very much for this! After many, many years, I now finally have an Archiver! :) It was quite an easy hack to put in my 1050.

The ROM version you've included is v1.6. Is that the latest available?

Nir...I guess you figured out how to hack an SA or SA2 and that you found out what all those R/W wires are s'posed to do (I was lead to beleive that unlike the Happy, the design of the SA/SA2 meant that it was unhackable)

Yes how can we implement this mod with just a 27C32 ROM? (I assume a 27C256 can be used if you just double the image until it fills up the chip) I would like to give this a try sometime!

Nir...I guess you figured out how to hack an SA or SA2 and that you found out what all those R/W wires are s'posed to do (I was lead to beleive that unlike the Happy, the design of the SA/SA2 meant that it was unhackable)

Yes how can we implement this mod with just a 27C32 ROM? (I assume a 27C256 can be used if you just double the image until it fills up the chip) I would like to give this a try sometime!

I can't be just the ROM, as the additional ram is needed as well. The 1050 originally had only 256 bytes (128 in the RIOT, 128 in a 6810). The SA adds 2K of ram to this. It needs both.

I have a small stack of 6116-like RAM, so it wasn't a problem for be to build the stack like that, but perhaps a little board could be made up to use modern available components..

I can't be just the ROM, as the additional ram is needed as well. The 1050 originally had only 256 bytes (128 in the RIOT, 128 in a 6810). The SA adds 2K of ram to this. It needs both.

I have a small stack of 6116-like RAM, so it wasn't a problem for be to build the stack like that, but perhaps a little board could be made up to use modern available components..

The SA firmware was a tricky beast to extract for me about 15 years ago. I discovered that 1/2 the rom was copied to ram. Why?

The super archiver program sends commands to the drive to modify the code that is in the 2k ram so the drive can do it's stuff.

not all the ram is used. at least 256 bytes is for the sector buffer.

I also discovered a command/data frame combo when send to the drive, the processor runs the small bit of code in the data frame.

James

• 4 years later...

Hello Nir

Years ago, somebody at CSS (probably Chris, Ron or Bob) sent me 6 sheets of paper, with "Notes on the Super Archiver! 3.x2". Which start like this: "The following is the changes/additions that have been made to the original Archiver/Editor 1.0 program. Users should familiarize themselves with the original Archiver/Editor documentation before reading these notes."

I can try to scan it for you, if you like.

Greetings

Mathy

I recently acquired a Super Archiver chip, reading the installation instructions I read about the variable resistor slow speed mod, unfortunately my super archiver box did not have this in the box. Is this just a potentiometer and if so can you tell me the specs so I can get one from digikey?

Thank You

Robert

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...