IGNORED

Atari 2600 Gameboy advance emulator

israelg

The GBA has 240x160 square dots. It's an odd resolution, often too small to directly "port" over graphics from other platforms. Additionally the top and bottom few lines are way too dark and shouldn't be used to display anything important.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

My first imressions with StellaDS:

1. Asteroids - working full speed but with more filickering than the original

2. Chopper Command - Slow

3. Pitfall - Slow

4. Pitfall 2 - Very Slow

5. Phoenix - Near Perfect

6. Space invaders - A little slow ?

7. Pac-Man - OK

8. Ms PacMan - OK

Combat is OK, but I remember there was once an AI version

of combat... where can I find this version ???

I.G

• 3 weeks later...
Do we not remember this from our own Andrew Davie in 2001 :)

Yes, Pitfall is running with 270% !!!

What ever happend to this project ?

I.G

That was a crash project I did for a particular Activision guy I knew from these forums, to prove to his bosses that it was in fact possible to do a reasonable Atari 2600 emulator on GBA. I got it working with something like 20 Activision games installed and running at reasonable speed, and delivered it to this guy to show at an Activision meeting. I worked on this for weeks, busting my gut, and not only did he NOT even thank me for the work (of course I wasn't paid), the project was approved and given to another developer without me even being told.

After that particular kick in the teeth, I dropped the project and lost all respect for the person in question.

The bottom line is that yes, it is possible to do a pretty good Atari 2600 emulator on the GBA. I did it. It wasn't perfect, and it slowed down here and there... but I only spent a month or two on it and I'm confident it could have been optimised to achieve better speed. But it was pretty good, and pretty damn neat playing Atari 2600 on my handheld.

Cheers

A

I sure would like to have the Atari 2600 VCS emu for the GBA. I would be forever so grateful, hahaha. I just want to play Atari 2600 Ms. Pac-Man on my GBA. My PSP is too bulky. I would appreciatew it but so would everybody else. So much for that :0)...

post-12493-1199879595_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Just a simple question:

Is there a way to patch the roms so they will run faster on StellaDS :?:

I read that the rom pass through such a treatment for the GBA Activision Anthology,

and chopper command really runs faster on GBA Activision Anthology than it runs on StellaDS :(

Eckhard Stolberg helped me a few years ago to run Chopper Command on my super charger my patching the game...

Thanks

I.G

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Do we not remember this from our own Andrew Davie in 2001 :)

Yes, Pitfall is running with 270% !!!

What ever happend to this project ?

I.G

That was a crash project I did for a particular Activision guy I knew from these forums, to prove to his bosses that it was in fact possible to do a reasonable Atari 2600 emulator on GBA. I got it working with something like 20 Activision games installed and running at reasonable speed, and delivered it to this guy to show at an Activision meeting. I worked on this for weeks, busting my gut, and not only did he NOT even thank me for the work (of course I wasn't paid), the project was approved and given to another developer without me even being told.

After that particular kick in the teeth, I dropped the project and lost all respect for the person in question.

The bottom line is that yes, it is possible to do a pretty good Atari 2600 emulator on the GBA. I did it. It wasn't perfect, and it slowed down here and there... but I only spent a month or two on it and I'm confident it could have been optimised to achieve better speed. But it was pretty good, and pretty damn neat playing Atari 2600 on my handheld.

Cheers

A

Seems to me the right thing to do would have been for you to finish it on your own and distribute it for free before the Activision game came out. It's always a nice "screw you" to give away something that someone who cheated you is trying to make money off of. :D

• 6 years later...
  • 4 years later...
On 8/23/2019 at 7:23 AM, Europatari said:

but i will give you right there

I have a flashcart I have used. It was doable but not perfect. I would honestly get the FB portable. Simple solution and just a little higher than a flashcart price. Also if you get the rom pack you have better compatibility.

5 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I have a flashcart I have used. It was doable but not perfect. I would honestly get the FB portable. Simple solution and just a little higher than a flashcart price. Also if you get the rom pack you have better compatibility.

no, the reason, why am i begging for atari 2600 on GBA is, i want to play games Such as: RS Basketball, Reactor, Air Sea Battle and Combat on the Retromini:

51DVUXkXCmL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/18/2019 at 4:18 AM, Europatari said:

is it possible to change the roms of activision anthology?

Possibly. I was messing around with the idea one night, I got a few ROMs extracted, but I couldn't quite pinpoint the compression routine they use. I got pretty close, but not close enough to actually run anything.

I did crack the Atari DS ROMs, though B)

On 8/25/2019 at 3:11 PM, Europatari said:

no, the reason, why am i begging for atari 2600 on GBA is, i want to play games Such as: RS Basketball, Reactor, Air Sea Battle and Combat on the Retromini:

I bought a BitBoy PocketGo during Black Friday for about $40, it has a pretty good port of Stella on it.

• Thanks 1