IGNORED

Anybody completely switch to emulation and not look back?

Recycled

These threads always end up like broken records. Some games emulate well, some don't.

If you got an emulator that plays on the TV, then have some fun and A/B some games with the real thing. You will see a difference for sure (if not for the display/aspect ratio, then maybe in the way the graphics render on the screen), maybe even some sound differences if only for the volume. But still, try it out. If you think the differences are minor and you can play the emu'd version fine without issue, then there you go. :P

I only use emulation when there is no alternative to the real thing. I love the feeling I get putting in the game and grabbing the controller.

This. If eBay, Amazon, garage sales, flea markets, and wholesale stores fail, emulation is my last resort. To the Stella!

Edited by Zezima

I have a 40" Mitsubishi CRT. It rocks..

Way cool! The King of CRT, I have a 36" JVC which is VERY nice, but I do most Atari on my 9" CRT w/DVD! I will be getting a 36" Sony WEGA CRT which is the Overlord of CRT, I have not seen anything compare. It will go in my basement since I REFUSE to ever pick it up into a cabinet, it weighs about 220 pounds, my JVC is only 165 pounds.

Emulation *IS* the best way, and only way, to preserve games long after the original hardware has degraded and failed to the point of unrepairability.

Yes, that's a good argument. But I believe the question is what you prefer to do NOW. Right NOW there are plenty of consoles available for people to play on. In the FUTURE, they will become more rare due to unrepairable failures, and unless someone steps up and replicates the hardware (and I mean original specs/identical, not Flashback style), we will probably be moving to emulation.

• Like 2

Emulation *IS* the best way, and only way, to preserve games long after the original hardware has degraded and failed to the point of unrepairability.

Yes, that's a good argument. But I believe the question is what you prefer to do NOW. Right NOW there are plenty of consoles available for people to play on. In the FUTURE, they will become more rare due to unrepairable failures, and unless someone steps up and replicates the hardware (and I mean original specs/identical, not Flashback style), we will probably be moving to emulation.

Well put. Some time ago i entertained the idea of building a 2600 replica from the ground up, using the original schematic and brand new parts (providing I can still get all those parts today). Perhaps I should revisit this idea sometime. You just made my day. Thank you. :)

Edited by Reinhardt

Thing is, parts will sooner or later no longer be made. And what about the RIOT and TIA and the 6507. If I needed those parts today I'd cannibalize some other unit to get the. Eventually it will be that way with the resistors and capacitors.

As I've stated in other posts, i'm sure, I am an emulation proponent for longevity reasons. Not to mention the portability aspect and the quick game select. I can select any 2600 game in matter of seconds. And I can bring those game with me wherever I go.

And it doesn't take up more space than tiny hard disk. So the lady don't complain about 3000+ games and 25 cabinets. Though I am "permitted" and unlimited and extensive Apple II collection. That isn't hoarding!! But getting into everything else, that could be hoarding.

What she don't know is Data-Hoarding!

• Like 1