IGNORED

First game you beat?

A Sprite

the first game i ever finished (that actually had an ending) was on the NES. it was Bomberman. i was eight.

was the ending worth the trip? why don't you play through 50 stages and see a 10-second ending and let me know.

i still own it & still play it. it is actually the only NES game that my parents would get involved in. they were hooked.

i would recommend the original Bomberman to any gaming fan. it's one of my favorite titles.

and that music will never leave your head.

Most early games didn't have an ending, although I got to a point in Sinistar where I had so many lives and played for so long I didn't want to play anymore the first game I ever beat and made it to an official ending was Zybex which was a Sidearms/R-Type style clone for the Atari 8bit. I was really pissed when I made it to the end because all that happens is it says "Congratulations" and goes back to the beginning.

post-5044-1191250505_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevin242

I can't remember the first game I beat. I didn't have many "beatable" games on the 2600. I remember trying to beat Solaris, making maps and working diligently at it. Ultimately, though, it kicked my butt. The first game I beat was probably on the NES...may have been Zelda.

i grew up with the 2600 and the nes. as was stated in previous posts, most 2600 games had no ending so i never really "beat" any of them, though i did master quite a few of them.

i cant really remember that well, but the first game i beat had to be one of the following three games for the nes:

super mario brothers

zelda

metroid

these were the first three games i ever had for the nes, i beat them all as a ten or eleven year old but i'm just a bit hazy as to which one i beat first

oh ya, i still own all three of them, i still play them, and yes, beating all three of them was well worth the effort

Edited by opeygon

Most of the games I played never ended, they just kept upping the difficulty till you died.

I do remember rolling over the score on MegaBug (CoCo) and solving some adventure games but I can't remember which ones.

The first game memorable enough to remember finishing was Tomb Raider.

I played most of the way through Tomb Raider II and then the laptop it was on died and I haven't felt like doing it over.

I played through a bunch of PS1 games.

Final Fantasy 9... finished it on an emulator and it was neat but the turn based battle system is torture.

Parasite Eve... I think I finished it.

Dino Crisis... ditto.

Silent Hill... can't remember

Parasite Eve II...

The adventure games were so so... just BASIC stuff and didn't last long enough. Worth it? No.

Rolling over the score on a game is cool when it happens but it's short lived.

Solving Tomb Raider? Yeah, it was worth it. There was a lot of neat stuff (for the time) along the way and it wasn't too repetitive. I even went back through and played it again to try and find things I'd missed the first time. I might buy the anniversary one once the price drops.

PS1 games... better than boredom and under $10 each. Reading through the cut scenes and the slowwwww turn based battle systems bugged me but there was some emotional content to some of the story lines like in FF9 that made it worth it.

I solved Half Life 2 and it was kinda cool. Seemed to go on forever but it was more predictable than Tomb Raider.

The followup was way too short! Glad I didn't spend full price. I think I'm still working on Half Life but I got it after part II.

Wow, well...

First games I beat for various systems...

Atari VCS: Adventure, and all the Starpath games except Sword and Survival Island (I would beat those years later). The best ending IMO is Escape From the Mindmaster.

Atari 5200: I've come close with Miner 2049er. There is no real ending.

Atari 7800: I got through level Z in Dark Chambers. Like Miner, there isn't an ending.

NES: Burai Fighter, all four levels were beaten, too, without having to continue even once. The ending here was good for the time, although it is very simple.

Game Boy: Not sure here, probably SaGa III or Power Mission. SaGa III, yes, Power Mission, well, maybe.

Game Gear: Sonic 2, I think.

Saturn: Command & Conquer, then NiGHTS into dreams (I have achieved straight A's). Both games have multiple endings, and it's worthwhile to play to them all.

PlayStation: wipEout XL, Command & Conquer, C&C Red Alert. See above for the C&C games, but wipEout's "ending" is a let down. You do, however, gain use of the Piranha team afterwards, but you don't get any weapons with them!

Nintendo 64: Goldeneye, and that game's too much of a pain in the neck to play through to an ending.

Game Boy Color: The only game I've beaten on this is Perfect Dark, and the ending does fit well into the first PD's story line. It's not exactly eye candy, but neither is the game itself. Actually, I take that back--I've beaten Pokemon Gold, too. I've worked quite a ways through Pokemon Crystal, but I have not finished it yet.

PlayStation 2: Final Fantasy 10 was the first game I beat on that. I've beaten FFX-2 also, and I've won the major events in Gran Turismo 3 and 4 and wipEout fusion.

Although I own a Dreamcast, I haven't beaten any of its games. I've finished quite a bit of Crazy Taxi (all the Crazy Box and I've got up to Class A in the arcade version), and I've taken a good run at Flag to Flag.

I had a 2600 as a wee lad, but I don't think any of my original games had endings.

The first ever would have been on the TRS-80. I don't even remember the title. It was an exploring/adventure type game where you went around a haunted mansion to collect items needed to escape, maybe a bit like a very primitive, very short Shadowgate. I've tried to figure out what it was, but can't ever find it on any sites or game lists. I'd love to have another go at it for old times' sake via emulation. It was very simplistic, but at the time I was proud to have finished it.

For the NES, the first game I ever beat was A Boy and His Blob. I didn't own the system or game back then, but own both now. Anyone here probably has a passing familiarity with this game. It's just one of those weird ones that people seem to love or hate. I remember it fondly and would recommend it.

Sonic the Hedgehog

Game was too short to really say the ending wasn't worth it. The thing that was a let down was if you went through the effort of getting all 7 Chaos Emeralds nothing happened, except that it said "Sonic Got Them All!" and that was it.

Haven't most people played a sonic game at some time or another? If not I'd recommend it, some duds in the series but overall they're great, especially 1, 2, 3+knuckles and Sonic CD.

I think the first game I actually beat was arcade Gyruss (I wasn't allowed a game system at home, so I snuck to the arcade at luncthtime from school ;) ).

I have three memories from those days that give me the warm fuzzies:

-Meatball subs, the arcade was half pizza parlor

-Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock 'n Roll" which someone played in the jukebox at that place every luncthime

-And seeing Earth finally come up on the screen for the first time (excluding the title page)

Possibly The Secret of Monkey Island for PC. My brother, sister and I used to team up on those old Lucasarts adventure games!

I had almost the same experience, except I don't have any sisters. It was probably either Monkey Island or The Legend of Zelda for NES. I didn't really start beating games until I was in college and had a lot more time on my hands to actually finish games. The first game that I actually remember beating was Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure for Genesis, when I broke my collarbone in 6th grade.