IGNORED

Who modded(or thought of modding) their gaming system?

Ace_1

I modded my toaster NES, cut the lockout chip, soldered a Game Genie connector to the cart port, and changed the power LED to green. Got sick of trying to get it to run right, so I bought a top loader and did the new AV mod on it.

Added RCA ports to my Model 2 Genesis because I didn't have a cable and I was anxious to play it. I've got another one that's in much better condition, I might add a video-out port to it...the Sega CD already has the audio ports.

Modded a Basic Fun Atari joystick keychain into a 2600 joystick, but I'm not finished with it yet. Need to find some sort of connector I can use to unplug the cable from it and use it as a keychain again. Might try a PS2 connector or something if I can find any spares.

Um...not sure what other mods I've done, besides general repairs, which don't really count. I know my dad converted an NES gamepad to work on the Atari once, no idea where it ran off to.

I'd love to add some sort of internal light to my original GBA, but I have no idea how I'd be able to do it...in theory, I could buy a broken SP, peel the frontlight off, and apply it...but I'm not even sure how well that would work. But heck, my GBA's got something wrong with it anyway...always drains the batteries too fast, and I only use it for link cable stuff, which is very rare these days.

Here's a sampling of my work.

Wow, those look great! :D

Are your console-modding services still on hold, BTW?

Unfortunately yes.

Hey, where did you get that game selector?

It's a Video Game Brain for the Atari 2600. I've got 5 more unmodded, (4 boxed complete, and 1 loose)

Sega Genesis Model 1: Funny story...

I bought a broken genesis from the flea market for $5, I was going to take it apart and see how it works. Whilst walking home, I decided to take a walk down a random alley looking for more computer stuff. But I Discovered something very interesting... I found an entire sega genesis sitting on a box of trinkets from the 90's. It had a really bad cartrige slot, it was all cracked... but I thought, hey, this is my lucky day....

So I took it all home... The found genesis worked like a charm. The one I bought, was of course, broken.

I decided to take the good looking case (from the broken one) and put it on the old dusty neglected one (found), but this genesis was special... They looked identical to eachother board wise, exept one had a thompson 68k and one had a motorola 68k, but this one was different... It looked to be resoldered to the board, but this wasnt the orignal processor... It was a 16mhz processor with an 16mhz crystal, in place of the 7.6mhz MC68k and the 7.6mhz Crystal... I Was Bewildered on how good the board looked, but how bad the case was. I grabbed a sonic 2 cart off my desk, fired up the machine caseless, and to my amazement, the processor didnt warm up at all, the graphics looked so clear, and the sound seemed less distorted, I researched it and found out that it was a processor modification (duh) but it was done so professionally I was shocked... Unfortuneatly, I was going to keep it for myself, I kept it for a few weeks, but I didnt have enough cash, so I sold it for a smooth $50 so I cold get some new cool clothes...

Im planning on buying it back... :D It's been painted gold now...

PSONE: I broke it

I wired up a light to the power and the ground of the controller slot of my clear PSone, and I fried the entire board...

Nuff said, I didnt use the proper LED :)

Here's a sampling of my work.

supercolecorear1nq.jpg

What did you do with the power supply there? Looks like it just takes a straight PSX/DC/etc style power cord... did you hack the power transformer into the system itself?

--Zero

I installed a brand new triple output internal power supply so only a standard 2 line 110V power cord is required to connect from the wall outlet to the console. No more wall or floor brick necessary.

Doubledown, those mods are SICK! Did you perform the A/V out mod on a Model 1 Genesis? I need to do that because the RF out plug is loose on mine and I can't find any Sega A/V cables.

Yes it just taps the signals off of the PCB negating the requirement for proprietary cables.

They looked identical to eachother board wise, exept one had a thompson 68k and one had a motorola 68k, but this one was different... It looked to be resoldered to the board, but this wasnt the orignal processor... It was a 16mhz processor with an 16mhz crystal, in place of the 7.6mhz MC68k and the 7.6mhz Crystal... I Was Bewildered on how good the board looked, but how bad the case was. I grabbed a sonic 2 cart off my desk, fired up the machine caseless, and to my amazement, the processor didnt warm up at all, the graphics looked so clear, and the sound seemed less distorted, I researched it and found out that it was a processor modification ...
Congratulations!

You must have found the only two genesis systems in the world to be UNDERCLOCKED. The normal oscillator is around 53mhz which is divided for the individual components, like the CPU. Your games must have been running seriously slooow! :roll:

They looked identical to eachother board wise, exept one had a thompson 68k and one had a motorola 68k, but this one was different... It looked to be resoldered to the board, but this wasnt the orignal processor... It was a 16mhz processor with an 16mhz crystal, in place of the 7.6mhz MC68k and the 7.6mhz Crystal... I Was Bewildered on how good the board looked, but how bad the case was. I grabbed a sonic 2 cart off my desk, fired up the machine caseless, and to my amazement, the processor didnt warm up at all, the graphics looked so clear, and the sound seemed less distorted, I researched it and found out that it was a processor modification ...
Congratulations!

You must have found the only two genesis systems in the world to be UNDERCLOCKED. The normal oscillator is around 53mhz which is divided for the individual components, like the CPU. Your games must have been running seriously slooow! :roll:

It wasnt slow, it was fluid, not choppy like a regular genesis, no sonic 2 slowdown, just smooth...

the 53mhz crystal wasnt touched in either, I was talking about the CPU's clock itself, the internal occilator was at 16mhz (duh) when compared to a modded 68k with another occilator tacked on that would run (rather unstable and hot) at 16mhz...

It wasnt slow, it was fluid, not choppy like a regular genesis, no sonic 2 slowdown, just smooth...

the 53mhz crystal wasnt touched in either, I was talking about the CPU's clock itself, the internal occilator was at 16mhz (duh) when compared to a modded 68k with another occilator tacked on that would run (rather unstable and hot) at 16mhz...

Switching the processor, to one rated at higher speed, without providing a higher clock frequency would achieve nothing. Besides in your original post you said the 7.6mhz crystal was replaced with a 16mhz crystal, niether of those crystals exist in a stock genesis. So how did someone replace that?