IGNORED

No Wii again this Christmas?

moycon

the wii's been out for a year now.. can it do internet? i'd not be sure i'd be surfing the web if i had to move the mouse with either the katana or the numbchuck (referring to those ... erm..controllers they use on wii instead of joysticks) but i'd give it a go.

if that was the only ones left in the world you could connect. with anything....

There is a browser available for the Wii. It actually works pretty well within its limitations. It does support most video and YouTube, but oddly, doesn't support mp3s. For general surfing, it's great, and the Wiimote is not a bad substitute for a mouse.

However, don't even try to post on a board or write an e-mail with it. The lack of a kb is a real bummer.

It does have USB keyboard support now - I'm not sure if it works with wireless ones, but I'd assume so. I love browsing with the Wii - it's great to load up horribly obnoxious internet clips to piss the wife off!

It does have USB keyboard support now - I'm not sure if it works with wireless ones, but I'd assume so. I love browsing with the Wii - it's great to load up horribly obnoxious internet clips to piss the wife off!

Oh sweet... so you can actually use that in the internet channel and everything? Nice! Even though I have a Mac Mini in my home theater, sometimes the wiimote feels "quicker" than using a mouse... even though I know it's not. And the Zoom function is fantastic for YouTube videos! And flash cartoons!

• 2 weeks later...

The Nintendo Wii is a overrated console really! The only cool features are the Wii Browser, The Virtual Console, and The Wii remote (Still the sensor bar and the Wii remote stinks, in which it can't sense each motion correctly). Like the N64 and Gamecube, its most likely Nintendo will run out of steam and let PS3 and The X-Box 360 will certainly take over. Personally, I despise Reggie-Fils-Aime. I feel he's in no position to be CEO of Nintendo Of America and should go back working for Pizza-Hut. I don't like his marketing tactics and the way he consults. I also heard that the Wii is a complex system to Tap Into and working with the Wii Remote, makes it just as worst!

Anthony....

Man, I love my Wii. I'm an athletic person--I run road races and play tennis and soccer and love to snowboard...basically you name a sport, I'll give it a try. Wii Sports is great--the boxing game gives me a terrific workout and it's part of my morning routing now. I throw some punches and dodge some balls and kick some ass to get loosened up and then I go out for a run. I can't wait for Wii Fit to come out. The only thing close to this was Kinetic for the PS2, which had all sorts of camera problems.

Tiger Woods golf is a load of fun; I love swinging the "club" and getting realtime feedback.

Maybe I am easily amused, but I love moving around and being active and playing video game at the same time. It combines my love of athletics and games in a way that I never thought possible. It's by far my favorite video game system EVER. I take the fitness test daily, religiously, and I miss it when I don't have the console with me.

If they continue to make ACTIVE and INTERACTIVE games, I will buy them.

Like the N64 and Gamecube, its most likely Nintendo will run out of steam and let PS3 and The X-Box 360 will certainly take over.

The N64 and GC didn't have anywheres NEAR the hype the Wii has. I still don't understand WHY people keep saying this. Maybe it has something to do with personal opinion interfering with whats actually happening?

It's really hard to say where the Wii is gonna go. But nintendo has really been putting alot of efforts into it this year. Just look at the 1st/2nd party titles they have done so far.

Metroid Prime

Mario Party

Mario Strikers

Super Mario Sunshine

Batallion Wars 2

Paper Mario

Donkey Kong Barrel Blast (yes it sucks) :(

Big Brain Academy

Zelda

Warioware

I know some of these barely make use of Wii specific features. But Nintendo definetly seems intent on releasing some A+ titles this year.

Unlike cough*sony*coughcough.

My big concern is whether Nintendo will maintain the pace next year. They have a tendancy to do such.

Edited by Shannon

Like the N64 and Gamecube, its most likely Nintendo will run out of steam and let PS3 and The X-Box 360 will certainly take over.

The N64 and GC didn't have anywheres NEAR the hype the Wii has. I still don't understand WHY people keep saying this. Maybe it has something to do with personal opinion interfering with whats actually happening?

No, its absolutely True!! When the N64 and the Gamecube arrive in the United States, they where both extremely high anticipated consoles (like the Wii). Sadly, they were both disappointing. I really don't care about the Wii System really. I play some new games from time-to-time (Like Victorious Boxer: Revolution, which is okay. The sensoring with the controller and the bar really needs improvements) and the Wii Browser (which I use). But nothing else to brag about. Here are the Wii Titles I currently own.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

2. Red Steel

3. Victorious Boxer: Revolution

I really want to play

1. Mario Galaxy

2. Mario & Sonic: At the Olympics.

3.Super Smash Bros: Brawl

4. Manhunt 2

Anthony....

Edited by fdurso224

No, its absolutely True!! When the N64 and the Gamecube arrive in the United States, they where both extremely high anticipated consoles (like the Wii).

No, they didn't. I would show you a VGchartz graph that would prove you wrong, but it seems they have turned to shit since the last time I checked.

I don't remember much excitement ever for the GameCube, but the N64 had a lot of excitement before its release and the few months after its launch. I don't remember it lasting as long as it has with the Wii though, I think it had mostly calmed down by the time 1997 started.

No, its absolutely True!! When the N64 and the Gamecube arrive in the United States, they where both extremely high anticipated consoles (like the Wii).

No, they didn't. I would show you a VGchartz graph that would prove you wrong, but it seems they have turned to shit since the last time I checked.

I saw that VG Chartz before and its completely inaccurate, needs citations and better references!! I don't have a problem with the Wii (I got one to), but I feel that the only major break-thru is just the controller. everything else is Last-Gen Material. If I would say that the best system (System Wise!!) of all time is the Wii, I would Certainly Reconsider!! It makes me ponder if they put enough effort in the console at all. Most likely, Nintendo still saw potential with the ATI and IBM Technology in the Gamecube (Which I enjoyed Greatly!!) However, its a Nintendo console none the less, so there's no dissatisfaction on there part.

Anthony....

Edited by fdurso224

:dunce:

I saw that VG Chartz before and its completely inaccurate, needs citations and better references!!

Way to put yourself in the minority. You're not helping your argument.

Well to be honest, you first mention this chart and then you wanted to prove me wrong but you said that now they ruin it. My arguments are still firm!.

Anthony....

Edited by fdurso224

N64 had a crapload of hype and was impossible to find in the Atlanta area for months after it's release. I waited in more than one line and hit up dozens of shops in the area only to be told there were none. (Luckily I had one myself on launch day, I was just trying to get one for my bosses kids...nothing like a little Christmas brown-nosing) I'd say it had just as much hype or more than the Wii ever did to begin with. People stood in awe of Mario64 at demo kiosks in ToysRUs weeks before the system came out, and flew off the shelves when they hit. Many a kid went without a N64 that Christmas. If there's some chart that states otherwise...I'd question it's data as well.

I can't vouch for the data, but here is a blurb about the N64 launch written for an article in 1996...

http://www.pennoaks.net/archive64/Miscella...4_US_Launch.htm

The initial shipment across North America for launch day was an allotment of 300,000 systems. Although nothing has been made official yet, the N64 seems to have broken all previous launch day records. On September 9th, 1995, when the Sony PlayStation was launched in the U.S., the PS sold approximately 100,000 systems on launch weekend. It has been estimated by retailers that the N64 will sell 250,000 to 300,000 systems in that same time frame shattering the record held by the PlayStation.

Doesn't sound like the N64 was lacking in people excited to buy at all!! :cool:

Now maybe Cheese007, you can tell everyone "whats actually happening"

BTW that article is fact...not personal opinion. ;)

Edited by moycon

I still have my N64 + SM64 rainchecks, which was how my local store was handling what would eventually become pre-orders. I think N64 hype exceeded anything up until that point (personal opinion). While this might be somewhat incendiary, Playstation and Saturn never had a overwhelmingly mass-appeal game like Mario 64. They had great games, but mostly all were genre-based.

Games are what sell systems, Super Mario Bros sold NES's, Tetris sold Gameboys, Super Mario World sold SNES's, and Super Mario 64 sold N64's. For now, Wii Sports is selling Wii's.

Also, the hardware is largely irrelevant and the fact that it's just an upgraded Gamecube doesn't matter much if the "higher quality systems" don't have the games to support it. Xbox (orig) was technically superior to the PS2, but it sold like ass in Japan due to the lack of RPGs, and for a long time, PS2 reigned supreme domestically due to it's superior game library (notably GTA3 was exclusive for a long time). Nobody cares about pixel count or frame rates or polygon rendering if the games suck, except perhaps 14-year old fanboys that hang out on IGN's forums.

I'd expect that on a site devoted to classic games, it should be obvious that gameplay trumps all else. What's carrying the Wii is a brilliantly chosen pack-in that anyone (not just hardcore gamers) can enjoy.

N64 had a crapload of hype and was impossible to find in the Atlanta area for months after it's release. I waited in more than one line and hit up dozens of shops in the area only to be told there were none. (Luckily I had one myself on launch day, I was just trying to get one for my bosses kids...nothing like a little Christmas brown-nosing) I'd say it had just as much hype or more than the Wii ever did to begin with. People stood in awe of Mario64 at demo kiosks in ToysRUs weeks before the system came out, and flew off the shelves when they hit. Many a kid went without a N64 that Christmas. If there's some chart that states otherwise...I'd question it's data as well.

Yes, I remember those days as well. The N64 was such a highly anticipated Console at Toys' R 'Us, Blockbuster Video, Wal & K-Mart had to shoosh spectators away from there Kiosk Units. When the N64 come out, the Media Channel's covered the N64 like mad and in Japan, Riots almost broke out. Leave it to Nintendo, to toy with a Individuals Imagination. It can be a adventure at times!