IGNORED

Aladdin's Castle arcade chain

7800Lover

Who here remembers the chain of arcades known as Aladdin's Castle? I do. I played at one a few times at a mall in Martinsville, Virginia (at least I think it was there in Martinsville). I think the chain has been since acquired by Namco. Whether or not the name is still used I don't know.

I remember once in an Aladdin's Castle, I found a Spy Hunter machine and pulled off a trick I heard from someone. I actually broke the accelerator pedal on the game to go faster. This did catch the attention of some of the staff there who were pointing and looking at me. It was during a commotion that broke out elsewhere that distracted them long enough for me to leave the arcade and I haven't been back since. ;)

There used to be one at the mall that was about 3 blocks away from my house. I had been going there even before we moved to that city. My mom used to get us these Easter Eggs for Easter filled with game tokens that AC would sell. It WAS a great arcade. They had Armor Attack (vector), Tempest. Discs of Tron Environmental, Tron, and a huge assortment of video and electro-mechanical games packed into a tiny space. Once we moved there I'd ride my bike up there all the time. They were originally called Bally's Aladdin's Castle. I remember when Karate Champ and Kung Fu Master first came out there and started the downward slide towards all fighting/racing games that polluted arcades. They got suckier when Namco took them over. They used to have a better variety of machines and changed the machines more often. When Namco took over they filled it with lots of Namco crap like Tekken that you could play on the Playstation.

Who here remembers the chain of arcades known as Aladdin's Castle? I do. I played at one a few times at a mall in Martinsville, Virginia (at least I think it was there in Martinsville). I think the chain has been since acquired by Namco. Whether or not the name is still used I don't know.

They're still around supposedly...but I haven't seen one in years. But then again, I haven't seen many arcades period. Namco owns almost all of those arcade chains now (Time-Out, etc.), but all the locations in my area closed years ago.

There used to be one in the mall I worked at around 1993. Funny thing is that I remember hanging around there alot, but not really playing much. A couple of the workers there were my next door neighbors in my apartment building (a girl and a dude) so I'd hang around there and bug them when they were working. I do remember they had some great pinball machines, and my roomate and I would play air hockey.

It was really more of a "family" arcade though, with kids games that gave out tickets for prizes, crap like that.

Now that I think about it, it was kind of half kids games, and the other half were fighters like Mortal Combat, or gun shooters, neither of which really did it for me. It was so long ago, and I was really poor, so actually paying to play games wasn't something I did much at that time.

Seems like they were gone before 1997, but by that time I moved to a different part of Lansing, and got a different job.

Edited by SRGilbert

There was an Aladdin's Castle at Belden Village Mall in Canton, Ohio when I was growing up! Loved it. From age 7 thru my teen years I saw/played: Donkey Kong, Dragon's Lair, Discs of Tron Environmental, Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom, Rampage, Punch Out, Ms. Pac Man, Galaxian, Pac Man Pinball, Pac-Land, Bubbles, I even remember playing Gottleib's Exterminator! That's all I can remember for the time being.

What a place... I was crushed when it closed around 1999/2000

I still have tokens from there.

Had a smal one at the nearby mall where I grew up, but they did get some good games.

There was a gigantic one at Lincoln Mall in Matteson IL which even had bumper cars inside. they eventually got rid of the bumper cars and put in tabletop machines

I remember one near Niagara Falls NY, I think it was the Summit Park Mall. What was neat is they used to have one game set on free play (right at the front of the arcade) for people to play, of course it was always crowded with gamers so you'd never really get a chance to play it.....nice idea anyhow :cool:

The Aladdin's Castle at the Granite Run Mall was truly a fucking magical place. It was your typical 80's type arcade with neon lights pulsating to the tunes of the 80's. Most importantly, not only did they have all the popular arcade games, they had dozens of obscure games. They kept a nice rotation of games, which pretty much ensured a new machine for each visit. Man, I miss that place..

Whenever I'd travel to the states, if we stopped by a mall the thing I'd do is look for an arcade, and often it'd end up being an Alladin's Castle. Consequently I've been to a number of them.. but don't recall exactly where since it's been so long. But I'm sure it was in California in the bay area for a couple of them. As well as San Diego & possibly in PA & VA. Nice arcades :)

There was an Aladdin's Castle at Belden Village Mall in Canton, Ohio when I was growing up! Loved it. From age 7 thru my teen years I saw/played: Donkey Kong, Dragon's Lair, Discs of Tron Environmental, Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom, Rampage, Punch Out, Ms. Pac Man, Galaxian, Pac Man Pinball, Pac-Land, Bubbles, I even remember playing Gottleib's Exterminator! That's all I can remember for the time being.

What a place... I was crushed when it closed around 1999/2000

I still have tokens from there.

There was one also at Rolling Acres Mall in nearby Akron. Spent alot of time there in the early 80s. Rolling Acres was a premier mall during the 70s and early 80s. It's gone to hell over the last decade.

There was one at Phoenix Village Mall in Fort Smith, AR that we used to go to once in a while. I was too young to remember what games they had.

In 2001 they still had one at Lynnhaven Mall in Virginia Beach, VA. This was where I got introduced to Crazy Taxi, Star Wars Episode I Racer: Arcade, and Hydro Thunder. They also had both Daytona USA and SCUD Race (well, Super GT) in the back. I learned the tracks on Scud really well, plus I mastered Hydro Thunder and Racer in that arcade.

It was good to draw a crowd, my (then) wife near the middle, around the Racer machine.

"And in the lead, Anakin Skywalker!" A second later, wham! and the screen would blur under the effect of the boost just as Annie's podracer threaded the narrow canyon during the Boonta Eve Classic. (bear in mind that this game is far different from the Lucas Arts home versions)

When we were done there, we'd head over to Chi-Chi's or A&W for dinner.

Edited by shadow460

In 2002 I bought out an operator that purchased an Aladdin's Castle warehouse. My Centipede is from one in Winchester VA :) The Battlezone, Asteroids Deluxe, Star Castle, Tron, Naughty Boy, Venture (can't recall all the others) all had been stored since they broke in 1983-4. Basically these machines were in a time capsule. After fixing the various ailments I had a sweet deal on my hands....

I remember the Aladdin's Castle in Irving Mall, Texas. They had all the games back in the summer of 83 I could ever want. I think that is where I played Tempest for the first time. Haven't seen one in years around here.

If I recall, the Missile Command cockpit games were exclusively built for AC's around the country. 25 inch monitor, I think.

Cassidy

There are several up in Northern NY. There is one in the St. Lawrence Centre mall in Massena NY, and another in the Salmon Run Mall in Watertown, NY. And probably others.

They don't have very many videogames anymore, maybe 10 in total, nothing special like they used to be (Used to seem like they'd have 30-40 great games in these places).

Edited by Atariboy

We should get together some people and go here one day:

http://www.funspotnh.com/

Supposedly the biggest arcade on the East Coast I believe? Look at the pictures it looks great and supposedly they take good care of their machines. I'm from New Jersey, so it's a long drive, but I plan on making it there maybe next year.

Remember? Do I REMEMBER??? I actually worked at the one at Greentree Mall in Clarksville, IN. My first job! While my classmates were slaving away in the kitchens of various fast food establishments, I had my stylin' blue vest on and was working the floor at "The Castle". I started not long after they broke away from Bally to become an independent business chain. It was amazing how many more people became my "friends" after I started that job - of course I had the key to the machines and the ability to dole out the mall discounts. :)

Next time, I'll tell you what it takes to get into trouble working at such a place...

James

would you care to know one of those alladin's castles i played at during my formative years

is not only closed,

the mall itself made into a college

and the mall's remains with said college on the rocks, being

most likely to stop being in america should a wall

being built around the border, somehow go up..... and put all the land formerly american, as newly part of mexico..

i sure did play a lot of games, though. mostly there.

Edited by wrenchien

Supposedly the biggest arcade on the East Coast I believe? Look at the pictures it looks great and supposedly they take good care of their machines. I'm from New Jersey, so it's a long drive, but I plan on making it there maybe next year.

I drove up this past June for their annual championship - Definitely a must if you love classic arcade games.. Just a wonderful, wonderful place..

a thousand "thank you's" for having the website for "funspot". i never knew there was a place like that around here. now, i dont live that close; i live in northeast ohio, but i will definitely take a drive there one day! no doubt! the list of games they have; unbelievable. looking at those titles and i swear i can remember those games like yesterday. even pictures of some of the games that were donated that i forgot about, i am remembering them, although not all of them. guarantee that there are games i never played or heard of. cant wait!

• 2 weeks later...
The Aladdin's Castle at the Granite Run Mall was truly a fucking magical place. It was your typical 80's type arcade with neon lights pulsating to the tunes of the 80's. Most importantly, not only did they have all the popular arcade games, they had dozens of obscure games. They kept a nice rotation of games, which pretty much ensured a new machine for each visit. Man, I miss that place..

Holey crap you are the only other person I know of on these chats that has any idea what Granite Run mall is LOL. I would totally agree it was the best Aladdin's Castle of all times LOL. That was basically the only arcade I ever really went to and the one that started me collecting arcade games just trying to recreate a small fraction of what that place was like is nearly impossible but I'm still trying. Wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the place? I have been trying to locate a few snapshots of that arcade for a while now. I think I might have one or 2 but I have no Idea were they got to. I have to say I was heart broken once they closed their doors I really have no Idea exactly when it happened.

Holey crap you are the only other person I know of on these chats that has any idea what Granite Run mall is LOL. I would totally agree it was the best Aladdin's Castle of all times LOL. That was basically the only arcade I ever really went to and the one that started me collecting arcade games just trying to recreate a small fraction of what that place was like is nearly impossible but I'm still trying. Wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the place? I have been trying to locate a few snapshots of that arcade for a while now. I think I might have one or 2 but I have no Idea were they got to. I have to say I was heart broken once they closed their doors I really have no Idea exactly when it happened.

I totally avoid the mall altogether, for fear of ruining the fond memories there. I drive past maybe once a year and just look, smile then keep driving by.

I haven't seen anything on the GRMall's Aladdin's Castle, but if you remember Spaceport in the K.O.P. Mall, there's a few videos from back in the day on youtube.

Also, if you get up to Reading at all, there's a neat little arcade in the Berkshire Mall - lots of classics there!

I totally avoid the mall altogether, for fear of ruining the fond memories there. I drive past maybe once a year and just look, smile then keep driving by.

I haven't seen anything on the GRMall's Aladdin's Castle, but if you remember Spaceport in the K.O.P. Mall, there's a few videos from back in the day on youtube.

Also, if you get up to Reading at all, there's a neat little arcade in the Berkshire Mall - lots of classics there!

Yeah cool I’ll have to check it out your not missing much in the G-run mall now there is one crappy little arcade with your typical games for this day and age way too small to be even worth checking out.