IGNORED

Classic Doom still great after all these years....

bdog_147

Hey all!

A few months ago I bought the Doom 3 collector's edition (xbox) and have finnally gotten around to checking it out. I have now finnished both Doom and Doom 2 and I gotta say, those 2 games are :cool:

I played the original doom way back when it came out on pc and had some fun times with that. Played it all the time. Playing that again brought back some memories, like "Oh hey I remember there is a secret area over here" and such. It was hella fun playing that again.

Doom 2. I played a tiny bit of this at a freinds house when it came out, but it was nice to sit down and play the whole thing threw. This was good, i liked it, but for some reason i like the first doom better. Good thing? Bad thing?

Now I need to sit down and play Doom 3..... :)

Now play Final Doom. :cool:

Some of the levels in that game could only have been practical jokes by the programmers, and I'm fairly certain they are unbeatable without God Mode. Like the level with an arena full of Mancubus and Revenants, Spider-Demons, a Spider Mastermind, and 30-40 Cyberdemons...along with the requisite sea of imps. (The trick there is to make them kill each other :D )

I like the maps in Final Doom in general. Not all are absurd. The absurd ones are great fun, too, but you've almost got to cheat.

Am I the only one that never liked the older FPS games? Just never found them involving enough to be very fun.

As for the newer FPS games (i.e. Halo, Doom 3 etc.) they are my favorite games right now. Can't wait till I can afford a 360 to get the new Halo and BioShock!

Edited by ultramoo

I'm one of those dorks who think Doom/Doom II has yet to be topped.

Is Doom 3 available for the PS2, or is that system pretty much done as far as developers are concerned?

It would take a master hacker to put Doom 3 on the PS2 and not have it look like crap. So, no.

Does Doom 3 have extra Doom levels, or just I/II/Final Doom?

If you're talking about user-created levels, well... Doom 3 has a number of available mods for it. Its popularity is waning, though. Doom 1/2, on the other hand, have custom levels numbering in the tens of thousands-- and graphical/code-based modifications up the wazoo.

Edited by Bucket

If you're talking about user-created levels, well... Doom 3 has a number of available mods for it. Its popularity is waning, though. Doom 1/2, on the other hand, have custom levels numbering in the tens of thousands-- and graphical/code-based modifications up the wazoo.

I prefer the way Quake I handles mods, using its custom QC language. Even there, some things are hard-coded that might have been better not. For example, it would have been nice to allow some parameters on particle effects rather than having a small number of relatively unchangeable ones.

I prefer the way Quake I handles mods, using its custom QC language. Even there, some things are hard-coded that might have been better not. For example, it would have been nice to allow some parameters on particle effects rather than having a small number of relatively unchangeable ones.

Quake is okay, but I never was able to enjoy editing it - just making a basic level is too complicated. DOOM1/2 were so easy and fun to write levels for that editing was really the most appealing reason to buy the game. Quake has more in-depth modding potential but you have to be pretty hardcore to bother.

I think the main reason DOOM became such a phenomenon isn't just because it was an FPS, but because it was so easy for everyone and their dog to make levels (of varying quality).

But of course it all started with the gameplay. I don't think I've ever been as nervous while playing a game as I was the first time I played Shareware DOOM. It was late at night and I was using headphones. Level 2 really stressed me out, I still remember that.

I think the main reason DOOM became such a phenomenon isn't just because it was an FPS, but because it was so easy for everyone and their dog to make levels (of varying quality).

I've done some playing around in Quake. Never released any full-fledged levels, but I've done some interesting tests including a demo level (posted on another thread) which does a variety of QC-style effects without any custom QC, as well as an AI test using custom QC to make enforcers that try a little harder than the standard ones to avoid shooting each other (though they don't have any 'dodging' logic in them, alas). The enforcers are also better than normal at tracking the player, but they require a level to be compiled with built-in waypoints. Since I created it, bots have grown considerably in sophistication and have gained the ability to generate their own waypoints.

While I agree that in some regards editing Doom is easier, I don't like the way so many things in Doom are pre-set. I've wondered sometimes whether it would have been at all reasonable or useful to design a map-editor utility that was a cross between Quake and Doom. Use a top-down view for almost all editing, but be able to select sectors and define the cross-sectional characteristics. Many types of levels could not be produced with such a thing, but some types would work just fine.

BTW, I was also curious: does Quake internally use pattern angles, or are pattern scales and angles mapped into basis vectors? Making textures line up properly would have been much easier if Quake allowed shear transformations; mathematically I can't think of any reason it shouldn't.

Doom is a good game and some where out there someone created enhanced graphics for the original, but you must have an original copy of the game to play it. I totally agree Final Doom is a really bad joke.

In what way? I think it's great. It's just Doom II with more levels. It's a mere expansion pack -- exactly what I'd been hoping for. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Perhaps you're thinking of Quake.

I'm one of those dorks who think Doom/Doom II has yet to be topped.

Is Doom 3 available for the PS2, or is that system pretty much done as far as developers are concerned?

It would take a master hacker to put Doom 3 on the PS2 and not have it look like crap. So, no.

Does Doom 3 have extra Doom levels, or just I/II/Final Doom?

I don't know about user created Levels, but there are two Doom 3's out there, basically Doom 3, and Doom 3....pt2 (I was thinking seed of evil or something like that, eh...but 3-2none the less :P

I also loved the original Doom, as far as FPS, it's probably the most played one I have ever played. I have it on almost every system it was available on, and love it on most of them And is it just me, but other than the collectors edition of doom 3, is the Gameboy Advance the only handheld or non computer format to get Doom 2? That game was friggin awesome. I was hopeing Doom 3...er...I mean Final Doom (the real doom 3) would come out on gameboy, but that looks unlikely now, maybe the DS will get it?

While I agree that in some regards editing Doom is easier, I don't like the way so many things in Doom are pre-set. I've wondered sometimes whether it would have been at all reasonable or useful to design a map-editor utility that was a cross between Quake and Doom. Use a top-down view for almost all editing, but be able to select sectors and define the cross-sectional characteristics. Many types of levels could not be produced with such a thing, but some types would work just fine.

I used to wonder about that as well. A more basic Doom-like editor would make level editing more approachable to many people. I don't really know what's out there today though, I haven't looked at Quake editors in years. But I do remember there being some tool that would convert a DOOM wad to run on Quake. I think the textures were problematic and I'm not sure what other issues it might have had. I don't remember doing much with it.

BTW, I was also curious: does Quake internally use pattern angles, or are pattern scales and angles mapped into basis vectors? Making textures line up properly would have been much easier if Quake allowed shear transformations; mathematically I can't think of any reason it shouldn't.

Over my head, but maybe somebody else knows. :) I haven't done much 3D programming, and don't know much at all about texture mapping.

Some of the levels in that game could only have been practical jokes by the programmers, and I'm fairly certain they are unbeatable without God Mode. Like the level with an arena full of Mancubus and Revenants, Spider-Demons, a Spider Mastermind, and 30-40 Cyberdemons...along with the requisite sea of imps. (The trick there is to make them kill each other :D )

I like the maps in Final Doom in general. Not all are absurd. The absurd ones are great fun, too, but you've almost got to cheat.

I finished Doom, Doom II, Final Doom and there was one more Ultimate Doom on the hardest level under Nightmare. Finished all the original Doom levels on Nightmare but didnt want that headache on any of the others :)

Final Doom was a b*tch - wasnt that the one with almost like city streets filled with cacodemons?

Doom 3 was cool - but play Bioshock to see how the story line in Doom 3 shouldve been (Doom 3 had a great story start then fell into trap doors and shooting) - though Hell in Doom 3 was cool :)

Final Doom was a b*tch - wasnt that the one with almost like city streets filled with cacodemons?

The map I was referring to is actually one of the "secret" levels, I think. I think it's called "Go 2 It" or something...I forget which episode it's on.

But yes, there is that level that's like a city full of monsters. :)

Am I the only one that never liked the older FPS games? Just never found them involving enough to be very fun.

As for the newer FPS games (i.e. Halo, Doom 3 etc.) they are my favorite games right now. Can't wait till I can afford a 360 to get the new Halo and BioShock!

I'm the total opposite. I can't stand all of these newer "me too" fps's... Give me classic Doom please. ;) I prefer the PS version over the Doom 3: CE version because the control layout in the Doom 3: CE version kinda sucks, and you can't change it. The layout is perfect on the PS version.

Infact, I played Doom 3 for about an hour and didn't care for it at all...

Edited by kevincal

Strange that this should come up the week I've started getting back into classic FPSs, after a 4 year hiatus...

How many of you are actually playing DOS / Vanilla Doom and how many are playing using one of the source ports? For anyone who doesn't know what I mean, look up zdoom or gzdoom - updated WinXP-happy versions of the original game engine. gzdoom is an OpenGL implementation of zdoom providing a "proper" 3D engine (no distortion looking up or down ... which is one of the many things zdoom added).

Other things I've been looking up over the last week included:

* "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"; a remake of Doom's episode one "Knee-Deep in the Dead" using zdoom's more advanced capabilities.

* JFDuke3D and EDuke32; similarly updated engines for Duke Nukem 3D.

* The Duke Nukem 3D High Resolution Pack; an updated set of high-resolution textures and 3D enemy models for JFDuke3D/EDuke32. Mostly complete and very impressive. There's similarly updated music in .ogg format.

* JFShadowWarrior and swp.exe; like JFDuke3D and EDuke32 for Shadow Warrior.

* There's also an HRP for Shadow Warrior, but it's very much a work-in-progress at the minute. You almost have to look for where new textures have been added and only one of the enemies has a (partial at that) 3D model.

Some may remember glDoom; that was the "original" OpenGL Doom port, but so far as I know it's long since died. zdoom and gzdoom are far superior. Apparently they support Heretic and Hexen as well.

I've been playing with the above for most of this week and it's been great. A return to classic FPS-ness but with added shinyness. Any thoughts from the rest of you, about the above or anything similar I've yet to find?